The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-03-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Anyone fans of Ibanez electrics? Doesn't matter if it's the '70s lawsuits, archtops, or shredders.

I'm thinking about getting an S series (similar to the popular RG 'shredder' series). Going to try some out this week-end. They're going to feel dramatically different than my Gibsons.
I've always been a fan of their hollow bodies but never tried any of their other electrics.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:17 PM

I have a 1985 Ibanez AH-10 Allan Holdsworth signature guitar. Plays amazing and still looks great all original down to the pickguard screws.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:01 PM

Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Ever since I attended a Steve Vai concert locally (modern venue with good acoustics) and was treated to his carefully balanced all tube (Carvin) amplification performance with virtuosos on bass & drums, in which the packed house was glued to his every move on his no.1 white/ pearl pickguard JEM workhorse - truly roadworn - I’ve been interested - of course the Japanese made JEM is a handcrafted multi-k$ instrument line, but the JEMJR comes in at about $1K, made in Indonesia, I believe.

I’ll be interested in following your progress/ pursuit of the Ibanez RG or S
Hey Jaden, I checked out the JEMJR specs yesterday and just reconfirmed, it's $499 on MF ($729 Long-McQuade Canada) The biggest thing I notice about that guitar and other similar priced Ibanez is that the JEMJR has a "Standard Ibanez Double Locking Tremolo System" which I believe is a step below the Edge-Zero II that comes with the other guitars in that range. Otherwise, same pickups and neck (Wizard III).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I notice here in Canada, Long & McQuade has the Ibanez RG350DXZ in white for $800 new - I think this has been their most common overall Superstrat model for some decades now. Thanks Dru, I’m now interested in having one of these on the stand in my living area just to look at!
I saw that earlier today. Same specs as the S series I was looking at except it's the RG shape and basswood body. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Hey Jaden, I checked out the JEMJR specs yesterday and just reconfirmed, it's $499 on MF ($729 Long-McQuade Canada) The biggest thing I notice about that guitar and other similar priced Ibanez is that the JEMJR has a "Standard Ibanez Double Locking Tremolo System" which I believe is a step below the Edge-Zero II that comes with the other guitars in that range. Otherwise, same pickups and neck (Wizard III).

I saw that earlier today. Same specs as the S series I was looking at except it's the RG shape and basswood body. I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks Dru, I look forward to any further information and findings you will have, and for sure it will be a much different experience from the Gibson SG and I imagine Paul Reed Smith in general.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Isn’t the S series based on Satriani’s design? They look very nice ergonomically and of course we know how they can sound!

If I remember correctly Ibanez approached Satriani fairly early on in his career and suggested designing a signature model for him. Before that there was no model exactly like that one.
I just did some research ... the "Saber" (S) series came out in 1987, the same year as the RG. Also in 1987 was the "Radius" series, which Joe Satriani was a fan of. He recommended some changes which resulted in his first signature guitar, the JS1000.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I just did some research ... the "Saber" (S) series came out in 1987, the same year as the RG. Also in 1987 was the "Radius" series, which Joe Satriani was a fan of. He recommended some changes which resulted in his first signature guitar, the JS1000.

Ah yes, JS...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-04-2020, 01:25 PM

Sweet! What model is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

My 7 string is perhaps one of the best electric guitars I have ever touched.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:00 AM

I've been a fan of Ibanez guitars for many years. Historically, one of the best budget guitar brands with a great quality to price ratio, in my opinion.

Bought my first Ibanez in 1986 - a used AM70 with passive IBZ triple magnet pick ups. I regret selling that guitar (to buy something else) but eventually found another AM70 used on eBay which I still own today.

One of my favorite archtops over the years is my Arctore United AG195. A limited edition guitar produced only for about 2 years, it was constructed in Ibanez' Japan factory and then finished in China at their artcore factory. AG series guitars have a smaller body than traditional archtops - 14.5" at the lower bout and body depth of 2.75" at the rim. It is an absolute workhorse and withstood the punishment of gigging over many years.

I've also owned (but no longer have) several other Ibanez guitars over the years including an AF105 with single floating mini humbucker, a lawsuit era 2455 (L4 copy), an Artstar AF120, a George Benson GB100, a SS500 and an Artcore AM93, just to name a few.

I recently purchased a GB40th (George Benson 40th Anniversary) and still have an AM70 (1987), a SR400 (bass) and an AG195. These are my never-ever sell Ibanez guitars.

My Ibanez bucket list of someday acquisitions includes a 1980's AM205, a George Benson GB5 and a 1980's Artist AR300.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:15 AM

I have currently 2 Ibanez electric basses and an RG8 8-string guitar. I have had at least 1 Ibanez instrument since 1981 - a customized 4-string. I had an ArtCore semi-hollowbody, and it was ok, but I traded it 2 years ago for a couple effects pedals. I have always enjoyed the playability and the quality control that reminds me of Yamaha instruments, but at a lower price point.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf29 View Post
I have currently 2 Ibanez electric basses and an RG8 8-string guitar. I have had at least 1 Ibanez instrument since 1981 - a customized 4-string. I had an ArtCore semi-hollowbody, and it was ok, but I traded it 2 years ago for a couple effects pedals. I have always enjoyed the playability and the quality control that reminds me of Yamaha instruments, but at a lower price point.
Hey Wolf - Welcome to the AGF!

I saw an 8 string Ibanez electric yesterday. Huge fretboard. Must be a very heavy guitar. Did you get the 8 string more as an eclectic guitar or something you plan to play frequently?
Old 01-05-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Sweet! What model is it?
It's an RG 752 from The Axe Palace with a custom color and top. Pickups are DiMarzio PAF7s, which are exceptional and versatile rock pickups. Adequate volume for distortion, but still clean up very well.

The neck in parallel sounds like a decent Fender single coil. The split inner coils also give a nice Stratty sound. I only wish position 3 could be replaced with a bridge single coil simulation.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
It's an RG 752 from The Axe Palace with a custom color and top. Pickups are DiMarzio PAF7s, which are exceptional and versatile rock pickups. Adequate volume for distortion, but still clean up very well.

The neck in parallel sounds like a decent Fender single coil. The split inner coils also give a nice Stratty sound. I only wish position 3 could be replaced with a bridge single coil simulation.
Ibanez does a good job with their switching options.
Just checked the specs on your RG. Japanese model? How do you like the Lo-Pro Edge tremolo? I've read great things about most of the Ibanez tremolos. They're very innovative.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I've been a fan of Ibanez guitars for many years. Historically, one of the best budget guitar brands with a great quality to price ratio, in my opinion.

Bought my first Ibanez in 1986 - a used AM70 with passive IBZ triple magnet pick ups. I regret selling that guitar (to buy something else) but eventually found another AM70 used on eBay which I still own today.

One of my favorite archtops over the years is my Arctore United AG195. A limited edition guitar produced only for about 2 years, it was constructed in Ibanez' Japan factory and then finished in China at their artcore factory. AG series guitars have a smaller body than traditional archtops - 14.5" at the lower bout and body depth of 2.75" at the rim. It is an absolute workhorse and withstood the punishment of gigging over many years.

I've also owned (but no longer have) several other Ibanez guitars over the years including an AF105 with single floating mini humbucker, a lawsuit era 2455 (L4 copy), an Artstar AF120, a George Benson GB100, a SS500 and an Artcore AM93, just to name a few.

I recently purchased a GB40th (George Benson 40th Anniversary) and still have an AM70 (1987), a SR400 (bass) and an AG195. These are my never-ever sell Ibanez guitars.

My Ibanez bucket list of someday acquisitions includes a 1980's AM205, a George Benson GB5 and a 1980's Artist AR300.

I have heard the George Benson models are spectacular. Haven't ever been in the same room as one however.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:24 PM

An acquaintance has an Ibanez hollow body electric that he loves.

Also, I recently saw a video of Carol Kaye playing an Ibanez electric bass. If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-12-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had a few of their semi-hollows. They were great jazz boxes. IMHO far better construction than the comparable Epiphone. I’d love to play one of the high end models like a John Scofield.

My son has had a quite a Few “shredders”. They all seemed to be very well made and he loved the neck profile.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars