The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-24-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
I have also heard great things about the Pearce folk strings. I’m curious to read about your thoughts once you’ve tried them.
Thanks.
I put these on today. They are very interesting. My X10 is a thin-body guitar so it's difficult to say how they would sound on a standard wood classical or even a standard thickness body Emerald for that matter. I did play them plugged in but did not have time to dial in the EQ. What I can say is that they seem to do what they claim.

The treble strings are thinner and have a little more tension, but they still feel like low-tension or more like nylon, less like steel string. So that's good. They are also definitely brighter than standard nylon. That was my problem with the plugged in test since the mixer is still set up for standard nylon strings so the trebles were overly jangly but I'm sure they would EQ well.

From an installation standpoint, the ball-end strings were a joy to work with and the Emerald nylon bridge worked perfectly for them. I remember asking Emerald once if they could use a nylon-style bridge on a custom build Emerald steel string guitar (in order to get away from that offset point) and I got no response but this would seem to prove that indeed it could be used for that.

From a playing perspective I found the strings very comfortable, perhaps even more comfortable than standard nylon strings which are comfortable to begin with due to the low tension. But standard nylon strings also have fatter trebles which tend to get a little uncomfortable after playing for several hours. These just might split the difference and give you the comfort of a low tension string with a size that is not too big, not too small.

I'll report back and likely do a standalone post in the main section once I have the time to dial in the EQ for these strings and play them for a good amount of time. The one downside about these strings is that they are quite pricey. I think I paid somewhere around $28-ish, if I remember right. So it would be interesting to see how long they last.

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-24-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Some photos

Old 09-24-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I put these on today. They are very interesting. My X10 is a thin-body guitar so it's difficult to say how they would sound on a standard wood classical or even a standard thickness body Emerald for that matter. I did play them plugged in but did not have time to dial in the EQ. What I can say is that they seem to do what they claim.

The treble strings are thinner and have a little more tension, but they still feel like low-tension or more like nylon, less like steel string. So that's good. They are also definitely brighter than standard nylon. That was my problem with the plugged in test since the mixer is still set up for standard nylon strings so the trebles were overly jangly but I'm sure they would EQ well.

From an installation standpoint, the ball-end strings were a joy to work with and the Emerald nylon bridge worked perfectly for them. I remember asking Emerald once if they could use a nylon-style bridge on a custom build Emerald steel string guitar (in order to get away from that offset point) and I got no response but this would seem to prove that indeed it could be used for that.

From a playing perspective I found the strings very comfortable, perhaps even more comfortable than standard nylon strings which are comfortable to begin with due to the low tension. But standard nylon strings also have fatter trebles which tend to get a little uncomfortable after playing for several hours. These just might split the difference and give you the comfort of a low tension string with a size that is not too big, not too small.

I'll report back and likely do a standalone post in the main section once I have the time to dial in the EQ for these strings and play them for a good amount of time. The one downside about these strings is that they are quite pricey. I think I paid somewhere around $28-ish, if I remember right. So it would be interesting to see how long they last.

Thanks for the report!
I’ve got a set to try but have just put on a set of Aquila Rubino strings. They are just getting settled in and sound good so far.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone found a set of strings that they are happy with the bass from on the X7 Nylon?

I am struggling with finding the richness I'd expect from a classical there.

I just fitted the Rubinos. So far they are nice sounding for everything but the depth of the bass (although they are no worse than others I've tried) and I like the higher tension smaller diameter feel.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Has anyone found a set of strings that they are happy with the bass from on the X7 Nylon?

I am struggling with finding the richness I'd expect from a classical there.

I just fitted the Rubinos. So far they are nice sounding for everything but the depth of the bass (although they are no worse than others I've tried) and I like the higher tension smaller diameter feel.

I’ve read several opinions that vary, predictably, a good bit. I’m pretty happy with the Aquila Rubino strings but haven’t test driven any others yet.
From my reading Savarez Corum bases seem to be well received and may be worth a try. I have a full set on deck( along with multiple others) to try.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Which strings for a Emerald X7 nylon?

After having the Aquila Rubino strings on now for a couple weeks they sound fantastic on this small carbon fiber guitar. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again. I’m surprised by the tone every time I play this instrument. I realize this observation is entirely subjective so all the usual disclaimers apply.
FWIW:
I’ve read that the Aquila Rubino strings initially had issues with breakage but a formula change was instituted to address the fragility. When I first but the strings on the guitar I used “bridge beads” as anchors. The high e/ first string broke during the initial tuning twice- it broke at the bead both times. I then tied it traditionally to the bridge and have not had a problem. Though I have limited experience with bead use I’ve not had this issue with Hannebach, D’Addario, Savarez or other Aquila strings.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

How are you finding the bass? I quite like the sound from the mids and trebles but still missing bass

Emerald had made the comment that in the nylon X7 the veneer does have a small impact to the tone and I'm curious if that's part of what I'm facing. I'm considering the sanding mod that was suggested to thin out under the bridge slightly
Quote:
After having the Aquila Rubino strings on now for a couple weeks they sound fantastic on this small carbon fiber guitar. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again. I’m surprised by the tone every time I play this instrument. I realize this observation is entirely subjective so all the usual disclaimers apply.
FWIW:
I’ve read that the Aquila Rubino strings initially had issues with breakage but a formula change was instituted to address the fragility. When I first but the strings on the guitar I used “bridge beads” as anchors. The high e/ first string broke during the initial tuning twice- it broke at the bead both times. I then tied it traditionally to the bridge and have not had a problem. Though I have limited experience with bead use I’ve not had this issue with Hannebach, D’Addario, Savarez or other Aquila strings.

Last edited by Aspiring; 10-10-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
How are you finding the bass? I quite like the sound from the mids and trebles but still missing bass

Emerald had made the comment that I'm the nylon X7 the veneer do have a small impact to the tone and I'm curious if that's part of what I'm facing. I'm considering the sanding mod that was suggested to thin out under the bridge slightly

The bass is very good to my ear. Fairly well balanced with the trebles. I’m pleased with these strings and the guitar.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:10 PM
Guest 928

I currently have the Rubino strings on my X7 thin-bodied nylon string--I'm pretty happy, so far.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

As I work through the strings I’ve purchased I figure I’ll post a follow up.
The Aquila Rubino were very good. I liked them. I’ve just replaced them with Hannabach Godin 725 medium-high tension. These new strings are fantastic. So far these are my favorite. Perhaps they are louder because of the higher tension? They sure seem it to me. They have big, full base and and shimmering trebles. Can’t say enough positive about them. Maybe with time the crush will wear off. We shall see.
Happy New Year!
Old 01-26-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

IMG_8366.jpg
Here’s a photo of the X7. Sorry it took so long.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I have a 24.9" scale X7 nylon.

I did not get on well with the stock Optima gold strings. Their tension was higher than I am used to and they lacked brightness.
Maybe Optima silver in some lower tension variety might have worked for me, but after one bad experience with a brand I usually move on and don't look back.

I currently use and love Savarez 500ARJ.

But tell me... 25.5" scale? Where did the bridge end up on that small X7 body? Do you have any pictures?
I am asking this because mine already has its bridge quite close to the edge, which is generally not the optimal position for soundboard vibration.

And apologies to the regulars. I realize that this bridge position thing has become a big pet peeve of mine.

Posted a picture of the guitar/ bridge location. I think it’s closer to the end of the guitar than usual.
Sorry for the delay.IMG_8367.jpg
Old 01-26-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Posted a picture of the guitar/ bridge location. I think it’s closer to the end of the guitar than usual.
Sorry for the delay.
Thanks. Yes, it is quite close to the edge. There was some further discussion about the subject in this thread:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=568635&page=5

Alistair chimed in and explained why he puts the bridge in that position on an extended scale Emerald X7 Nylon.
Quote:
"It gives a little more punch to the overall sound and enhances the mids and trebles."
In retrospect I would have preferred less punch (more sustain) and more bass. Although to be honest, even if this had been communicated to me during the ordering process, I probably would have gone along with this idea.
Still I believe that the customer should be informed in advance about these kind of decisions.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 01-26-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Thanks. Yes, it is quite close to the edge. There was some further discussion about the subject in this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=568635&page=5

Alistair chimed in and explained why he puts the bridge in that position on an extended scale Emerald X7 Nylon.

In retrospect I would have preferred less punch (more sustain) and more bass. Although to be honest, even if this had been communicated to me during the ordering process, I probably would have gone along with this idea.

Still I believe that the customer should be informed in advance about these kind of decisions.

Thanks for the link.
I wonder if higher tension strings could make up for the shorter scale length if the bridge was located in the standard position. (?)
Full disclosure: I bought my X7N used so I was not involved in its design. A professional musician had it built for outdoor play.
I have found the tone to be fantastic. Of course, It doesn’t have the sustain my larger wooden classicals have but it is fairly well balanced and unexpectedly loud. The volume is unexpected considering an uninitiated eye may see it as toy sized. I played it for my brother and his wife in my living room. My brother listened and then asked if I was amplifying it somehow. My attack is definitely on the light side so that wasn’t the variable increasing the volume. I suppose this could be related to the 25.5 scale.

I’m sorry you have had an unsatisfactory experience with your X7N. I would love a side by side of our instruments. If you make it to the southeast let me know. Maybe our paths can cross.

Best,
Tom
Old 01-27-2020, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

String up date.
The Optima gold high tension have the best base response so far. I’ve just realized that the these bases are sold with the complete set, as a three string set, or individually. So there’s that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber