The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-04-2020, 11:27 AM

Default Playing Emerald with only one hand

Some time ago i had a sudden terrible pain in my left arm that made me impossible to move it (let alone play) for a long time. Thankfully, the doctors said it was not too severe but painful. I just needed to rest for a long time and avoiding any movement.

Being a musician, that was really stressful. I needed to play no matter what. Then i started exploring what i could do with just one had. As a result, I wrote this tune (and plenty others!) just with one hand. I learnt a lot in the process, both about playing and about myself. They say, every crisis is just a opportunity in disguise.

Thankfully i'm completely healed now and thought that sharing my experience could help others.

(Just in case, sheet music is ready for this tune! just write me if you are interested.)
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-04-2020 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Edited.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Bravo! Beautiful composition, as well as courageous application of turning the lemon that life suddenly, unexpectedly dealt you into marvelous lemonade.

Particularly appropriate and inspirational story and video in the midst of the situations that we find ourself faced with in the current pandemic.

5 stars, 3 thumbs up, mega-kudos etc.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:09 PM
Guest 928

Martin;

Having shared two Carbon Fests with you, I've always known that you could do more with one hand than I could with two. Now that you are back to two handed are you playing two guitars, doing Emerald duets?

And again, nice to see you back and perfecting your fine art.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Bravo indeed, Martin.

So happy to hear that you have both your wings back now. Watching your Emerald videos helped convince me that this was the guitar for me...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-04-2020, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Nicely done. Welcome back.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:42 PM

I remember a certain formally known as Paper Kitten from days of yore..and mine, Hi Mr. Blan - es ... haven't heard from you since..well 2 weeks ago

Back in the day sharing stuff at NAMM (2013..YIKES).. we were just young boys out in the world then...

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-05-2020, 06:31 AM

That is so impressive, and inspiring. I am sure it will help someone in a similar situation so thank you for sharing. My son was super impressed too ,as I shared your story and showed him the video.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:33 AM

Magnificent and truly inspirational! Thankful your left hand has returned and like others, curious as to how your temporary setback has enhanced your two handed playing now? Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:35 AM

Talking Martin Blaines NEW video So gooood!

Soooo good to see one of our old friends from the McNicoles days playing again.... so talented !!!!! Plays better with one hand and a simple old x7 guitar than I do with two hands!
https://youtu.be/G0P6wYqb9Lo

Enjoy!!!!!

Last edited by Fixedgear60; 04-05-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:10 AM
Guest 928

Fixed;

My sentiments exactly.

Although, I can understand how Martin could do better with one guitar than you could do with two--playing two at a time has to be quite a challenge.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Fixed;

My sentiments exactly.

Although, I can understand how Martin could do better with one guitar than you could do with two--playing two at a time has to be quite a challenge.
Ahhhh just what I needed to smile on this cloudy day in Boston!! As my daughter would say "That's the true T sis"!!!
Old 04-05-2020, 04:08 PM

oh Evan! just one guitar is more than enough for me hehehe and better with two hands. this piece is quite hard to play. I try my best to hide my struggle playing it hehe
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 04-05-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_K View Post
Some time ago i had a sudden terrible pain in my left arm that made me impossible to move it (let alone play) for a long time. Thankfully, the doctors said it was not too severe but painful. I just needed to rest for a long time and avoiding any movement.

Being a musician, that was really stressful. I needed to play no matter what. Then i started exploring what i could do with just one had. As a result, I wrote this tune (and plenty others!) just with one hand. I learnt a lot in the process, both about playing and about myself. They say, every crisis is just a opportunity in disguise.

Thankfully i'm completely healed now and thought that sharing my experience could help others.

(Just in case, sheet music is ready for this tune! just write me if you are interested.)
I’m just glad you’re okay now! That must have been pretty scary. I can only imagine being a musician. Stressful. I’d say.

Very cool video.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-06-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

That was incredible, PK. That was a beautiful piece and if I had just heard the audio, would have guessed it was two hands playing...or more.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:07 PM

Hi Martin,
It is good to see and hear you back here. I am sorry you had the problem with your arm and I am happy to hear that it has resolved. It is always wonderful to hear you play with one arm or two.
Take good care,
Barb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, emerald, fingerstyle, one hand, touchstyle