The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-26-2020, 12:45 PM

Default X7 considerations – custom nut, compare to Cargo

A quick background: a while back I played an Eastman parlor with a 1 13/16 nut and found it surprisingly comfortable compared to my 1 ¾ (44.5 mm) nut Cargo. The conversations on this forum about Emerald have kept me intrigued with the company and a thread on nut size (Emerald being the only carbon fiber company that will customize this) got me even more interested.

So now, amid all the turmoil these days, I have come into some cash. Why not a new guitar? My quandary is just what custom nut size makes sense. Recognizing that there is a lot of personal preference in this, I am hopeful of some guidance from those of you who have or have played the X7 and especially those who can compare it to the Cargo.

I am tempted to go a bit wider than 1 13/16 (~45.6 mm) but 1 7/8 (~47.6 mm) nut on a classical I played seemed excessive for me. But neck profile plays a part here. One thing that needs to remain easy is catching both the E and A strings from the top with my thumb. I suspect that is not a problem so long as the X7 neck is not much different than the Cargo. Any insights there?

A small complaint I have with the Cargo is my tendency, considerably reduced but not eliminated with practice, to tap the body of the guitar with my pick. I think the X7 has just a bit more clearance between the strings and the body; any insights on this would be welcome as well. The custom shop does not offer a center sound hole.

Finally, do you find the X7 noticeably ‘better’ than the Cargo?

I play a bit of fingerstyle, sort of hybridized with picking out some notes with a pick and a bit of strumming. I hold a flat pick for low end and strums and use bare fingers for notes. And have found that for me, a small body guitar and short scale are essential considerations. I don’t need a lot of volume.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Default 52mm nut

I’ve been following Emerald for several month’s and welcomed your post regarding a wide nut parlor sized guitar.

Soooo, I just ordered an X7 with a wide nut.

That makes two of us wide nut fans

-c
Old 03-31-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleser View Post

-c
Nice buy..!! ..And great first post!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-31-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I’ve been following Emerald for several month’s and welcomed your post regarding a wide nut parlor sized guitar.

-c
How wide? I continue to wrestle with that spec...and since I only get one shot at it, want to get it right!
Old 03-31-2020, 12:07 PM
Guest 928

I play nylon strung guitars and have settled on the hybrid width of 1 7/8" I know it's a bit wide for a lot of folks, but for finger play it's perfecto--lots of room to work, and I have no problem in catching the E & A with my thumb. Haven't had any problems with strumming. I suspect that nut width depends a lot on what the player is used to and hand size.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Classical x7 nylon

I ended up ordering a 52mm - which is the same as my Yamaha classical. I have a 50mm on my SLG and a 47 on my Cordoba; but I find I keep gravitating to the full classical when playing any predominant fingerstyle pieces. BUT, I did order a radius fretboard, which is std on the x7.

Picked my veneer with Allison, and fired the order over yesterday. Now just hurry up and wait.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Picked my veneer with Allison, and fired the order over yesterday. Now just hurry up and wait.

Nice!! You will hopefully find a way to kill 8 or 9 months with stuff to do...folks do it all the time... but that might be for a different type of baby ... hope this helps

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Guest 928

And alcohol is essential. The one recommended form has been Sake, but opinions vary. The closer you get to Ireland, the higher the proof. You could maybe start high, and then taper yourself off with Sake as the guitar gets closer. Something to think about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber