The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 09:41 PM

Jmax,

Congrats. Not only did you get a great guitar, but you also got a great story to go with it!

Don't know what music you like to play, but the 458e-R can do a lot of different things well. Most of my music is from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, both instrumentals and with vocals. May I suggest trying "Walk Right In" by the Rooftop Singers? I also still get a kick out of playing "Stairway to Heaven" on it. The chorus part, especially the sequence after 'makes me wonder' sounds incredible. I fingerpick everything with my nails, using a flamenco 3 finger strum across 10 strings, including drones, for that part.

As an old school 12 string player, I tune down a half step to D#, mostly out of habit. But a 'G7th Newport 12 string capo with compensated string pad' can be quickly used to bring it up it to standard tuning, and without needing any re-tuning. Best 12 string capo on the market no matter how you tune your 12 string.

And if you are ever looking for a great 6 string, I would recommend trying either an 818e Taylor or an 816e, both sitka over rosewood. I have the 818e, but I also tried a used 816e model, and found it really sounded great. If I didn't already have the 818e, I probably would have bought it. Lasted less than 2 weeks at that music store before someone bought it. I believe these are both made in 416e-R and 418e-R models also. While it came with medium gauge, I string my 818e with Elixir PB HD Lights. Light bass with beefed up treble. Don't need medium bass strings with that big body.

Enjoy your new guitar,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string taylor, taylor, taylor 458, taylor 552