The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 07:47 AM

Default I could use come advice buying a mid-tier guitar

Hello fellow guitar enthousiasts!

As you can read in the title, I'm looking for a good mid-tier guitar.
Let me start off with a little background information.

About a decade ago I started off with a Washburn D-10, then added a Baby Taylor as a travel guitar which I started playing exclusively. It sounds truly amazing for such a tiny guitar. But it's time for the real deal.

Now what do I like and need in a guitar. I like a balanced tone, dislike tinny highs and heavy lows. I definitely need decent electronics. My budget is about 1000-1500 euro.

Following are the current options, but you're always welcome to advise others.

-Currently I am looking at a Taylor 314ce L7 (ltd) from 2004. It has Tasmanian blackwood back and sides which apparently resembles Koa, but more balanced. It has the Taylor Expression System 1. The seller is willing to let it go for 1300 Euro which, having checked reverb.com, seems a bit steep. But then again.. what are these worth? The 314's I found on reverb were standards ranging from 920-1100 euro. I do think I will be selling the guitar in about 5-10 years when it might be time for a change, so I would like to get back most, if not all, of what I spend.

-Another option would be a Taylor 510e from 2016 with the ES2 electronics for a slightly over-budget 1600 euro.

-Taylor 414 from 2002 with a Fishman Prefix Stereo Blender for 1000 euro.

-Taylor Academy 10e or 12e, these are cheap in comparison, around 600 euro. However they are made in Mexico and do not have solid wood back and sides. One thing I absolutely love about these is the armrest and quick action.

-And lastly a Taylor 710ce from 2004 for a far above budget 2000 euro. -is this worth it?

Now I know I might seem biased towards Taylor but I would be interested in a Martin or others aswell. I particularly like the D18 or D28 but apparently these don't come with electronics...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Jef_; 02-20-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:53 AM

Hello. Unfortunately only you, or someone in your area, can determine what one of these guitars is worth in your area. However, the prices you quote don't seem far off from what I would expect to see in Euros. Obviously you can always negotiate with the seller once you find the one you want. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Hello. Unfortunately only you, or someone in your area, can determine what one of these guitars is worth in your area. However, the prices you quote don't seem far off from what I would expect to see in Euros. Obviously you can always negotiate with the seller once you find the one you want. Good luck.
Thank you for the reply Steve, Have you tried any of the mentioned guitars, or have an opinion/advice on them regardless of the prices?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:04 AM

If you want balance, look at Larrivee - they have the tone you seek. And look at installing a dual source system like an Anthem SL.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-20-2019, 08:07 AM

I have played and owned many Taylors. I have not played any of the guitars you list in your post as they are not near me. I can't and wouldn't comment on a specific guitar unless I have played it. If you like one, or more, of these, that's all that matters. If you like Taylor guitars, they are very consistent and you will likely be pleased with any one of these. I do believe that the 314 models are among the best value on the market.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Id look at Takamine Pro series... made in Japan. excellent electronics. The P3DC is outstanding. Balanced...
Old 02-20-2019, 08:31 AM

All the guitars you listed could be good guitars for you. Your ears and hands need to be the judge.

Martin

The 15 series guitars are excellent.

Gibson

The J15 has gone up a bit in price but can still be found at a price within your stated budget. I think this guitar will become a classic.

Looks like you have Taylor covered well.

A used guitar will get you more for your money.

There are so many... which is to your advantage. Research, play, repeat. Trust your ears.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 AM

From your budget, it looks like you are in Europe. Take a look at an Alvarez Masterworks MD-60CE or Yairi DYM-70CE.

https://www.alvarezguitars.com/guitar/dym70ce/

https://www.alvarezguitars.com/guitar/md60ebg/
Old 02-20-2019, 08:54 AM

I would play everything you can get your hands on.
Dont exclude any brand and look at used as well -
if you judge a guitar on the name and not on the sound -
you made a step backwards .
its understandable if you dont like a certain name , model brand etc.
thats your personality and experience with a product .
When i first started all my friends told me MARTIN
I went in the opposite direction ( becasue Im not a " follow the popular trend person" ) and never have looked back -
It is very possible that you may find a hidden gem of a unheard or little know brand -
its fun if you let it be -dont take it to seriously - and enjoy the ride !

Old 02-20-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

From your description of what you want I do believe that a Taylor will make your ears and hands the happiest. That being said, if you can get some guitars in your hands and try them out, you might get a better idea of the sound you're looking for. I do have a couple of Taylors including a 710 that I've had for 25 years. It is an awesome and beautiful both in sound and feel, however my tastes have changed over the years and the Taylor sound isn't something I look for in a guitar now. I prefer Gibson-ish tones and that's what I go for now. My last new guitar was a Martin 000-17 and the reason I bought it was because it was more "old Gibson" in tone than it was Martin.

Also don't get too hung up on factory electronics. If you find a guitar that does it for you in tone and feel, go for it. Pickups can be added later and there are a bunch of great after-market pickups out there now.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 AM

I tend to feel Taylors and Martins within that price range are distinctly sub-par, but get away with it (I assume) because of their superior marketing/brand power and legitimately excellent higher-end models.

With what you want to spend you might look into something like (as already mentioned) a Larrivée or even a Seagull--recently played some superb ones for under $1k--but if I were you I'd look for a Yamaha. Asked about the AC series here a while back, got generally good feedback, then tried some out and was very much not disappointed.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 AM

Are any of the Pac Rim import brands like Blueridge or Eastman available to you?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 AM

If you are based in Europe (which everyone here is assuming) you can also look at European brands. Furch, Dowina and Kermona spring to mind. Hofner also build some really nice and unique steel string 'classics', finally Alhambra also makes steel strings over in Spain.

All these brands make guitars that give Taylor and Martin a great run for their money. Check them out.
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 02-20-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Shape Cloud View Post
I tend to feel Taylors and Martins within that price range are distinctly sub-par, but get away with it (I assume) because of their superior marketing/brand power and legitimately excellent higher-end models.

With what you want to spend you might look into something like (as already mentioned) a Larrivée or even a Seagull--recently played some superb ones for under $1k--but if I were you I'd look for a Yamaha. Asked about the AC series here a while back, got generally good feedback, then tried some out and was very much not disappointed.
I agree with this. i find the lower end Taylors and Martins pretty soulless. If I was in that price range I would try to play some Yanmahas, Im very impressed with what they provide for their price point. The other mid/lower priced brand I really like is Recording King. I'm not familiar with the electronics on any of these guitars and have evaluated them only on an acoustic basis, but those are 2 brands Id seek out and play if you can.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 02-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Avalons, made in Ireland, are Taylors on steroids. Look into them also.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, martin, taylor