The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:22 AM

I know many top musicians here in Nashville and don't know any that only own one good guitar. Nonsense, he was obviously younger and/or having a bad day, or just mad cause he's not getting the high dollar gigs he wants. The days of staying busy and making a great living in Nashville are nearly over.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I don't disagree w/ the general assessment of the dude's personality but, since I'm professional musician here's my two cents,.... there's always the guy who wants to talk gear on a break. Don't be that guy.

Before you can remember his name, he's telling you about the Les Paul his parents bought him when he was 16, or the D-18 or his current stash of Paul Reed Smiths or his vintage amp collection,.. he's impossible to shake and then half the break is gone.

Since I build my electric guitars and work with a high end boutique amp builder, I have plenty to offer but I'm here to play. Gear is what you work on/talk about when you're not playing,.. I'm nice as I can be, smile and agree if there's ever a pause,..
Very well put.

Who knows what kind of day the guy had. He was there to play music, not to talk shop to someone he didn't know. He had probably ascertained over the years the difference between "I like your music" - a compliment, and "I like your guitar" or "I like your tone," which, to him, probably has come to mean: "Ask me about my collection."

And the fact that the OP implied that he is going to prevent the guy from playing there again - not because the music was substandard, or because the performer was rude to the audience while performing, but because of a response to an uninvited query while the guy was on break? Oh well.

Last edited by jomaynor; 02-21-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:07 AM

Hi

In the UK we have a wonderful guitar player called Albert Lee, whenever Albert tours he makes a point of saying as his set closes that, he and his band mates will be hanging around afterwards to chat and sign autographs.

I know this is pretty unusual, but really adds something to the evening.

Whilst I have not seen the guitarist that the OP is talking about, I would imagine that Albert's ability and CV (Clapton, Everley Bros, Emmylou Harris etc) stacks up favourably against his. Albert might even own 2 guitars.

Rich
Old 02-21-2017, 01:38 AM

I would also like to add... i don't play any gigs and I'm not a professional musician, but playing guitar is my passion and hobby.... i have a full time job that thankfully allows me to own several guitars (8 in total to be precise) what's the problem with that? I truly enjoy all my guitars when I play and practice in home... what I'm trying to say is that i don't see the problem in a person having different guitars even if you are not a professional musician, if you can afford it and is your passion why not?
Old 02-21-2017, 02:40 AM
Guest4562

Another aspect of that nitwit's swagger that irks me is his assertion that he gigs with such a high end guitar because he is "a pro." A couple of my guitars are worth twice what his is, and I'd actually prefer to gig with something less high endy. Even big name guys tend not to bring their top guitars on the road. I like to use my Ovation for bar gigs and reserve the others for more sedate restaurant gigs, but even there a passing waiter could kick over a guitar if I weren't careful.

Fact is, if you've got good hands, the name on the headstock of what's in them is secondary; the number on the tag hanging from it - less so.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronfield View Post
Hi

In the UK we have a wonderful guitar player called Albert Lee, whenever Albert tours he makes a point of saying as his set closes that, he and his band mates will be hanging around afterwards to chat and sign autographs.

I know this is pretty unusual, but really adds something to the evening.

Whilst I have not seen the guitarist that the OP is talking about, I would imagine that Albert's ability and CV (Clapton, Everley Bros, Emmylou Harris etc) stacks up favourably against his. Albert might even own 2 guitars.

Rich
Yeah, seen. met Albert. Chatty guy (if deaf) but that methodology is not unique. Many acts will do a "meet & greet" usually by the Merch purch - but that's OK.

There is a British duo that I admired greatly. Very talented - did it all by themselves without agents etc,. very hard working.

One guy - guitar, fiddle, mando (my wife calls him the happy frog) ais always great with fans, the other (talented singer/guitarist etc., but a bit of a poseur, once upset me - I took along a newly built guitar that my wife had had built for me. I wanted his opinion. He was downright rude.

That was '98. I've told the story about him many times. I refuse to buy his albums or see him live now.

People remember this stuff.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:35 AM

The guy could have simply said "Thank You"...Instead of his snide remark.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I was at an event with a live band recently, they sounded really good. Acoustic guitar, bass, drums, and an electric guitarist/fiddle player.

During one of the breaks, I saw the acoustic guitarist and said, "You've got a great acoustic tone, are you using anything special?"

He said, "Yeah--I'm using a chorus pedal. That and I'm using an expensive guitar. It's a $1,500 guitar instead of the $300 guitars I used to use. I'm a professional working musician, and professional working musicians only have one guitar, not like all those guys who have a room full of guitars and never play any gigs."

He looks and me and says, "You've probably got five guitars at home, don't you?"

"Well, just four actually..."

"That's what I figured" he added as he walked off.

Nice meeting you, too.
Using a chorus pedal??? and an "expensive" $1500 guitar ?? a "professional" musician, very impressive !!

I would have had fun with him, a lot of fun..............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-21-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwstout View Post
How many guitars does Jackson Browne use in a concert?
I saw him in Worcester MA about 2 years ago. Same setup, for all I know that picture could have been taken there. He played about of 5 of them at the show I saw.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 AM

I do wonder about people getting so wound up about situations like this. Someone you will likely never interact with again in your life makes an idiotic comment. All the examples in the world won't prove him wrong as he is obviously too dense to accept he might be wrong. Not going to improve his demeanor since if he doesn't have basic manners by now, probably never will. You can't be insulted by a person whose opinion means nothing to you.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Well bless his heart.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:47 AM

I would've challenged him to a Greco-Roman wrestling match then slashed his tires.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

There are guys like him and then there are guys like Jackson Browne.

I was backstage before a JB show, and wandered over to have a look at his guitars. About 12 of them in a rack, all for him; perhaps a bit excessive, but who am I to say?

And then Jackson walks by and we strike up a conversation. We ended up talking for 10 minutes, the guy couldn't have been more engaging and pleasant. He would have talked for a while, but I reminded him that he had a show to do that started in 2 minutes! He ran off but told me to stop back after the show, he'd have something for me.

I went out to my seat (5th row!) and watched a tremendous show by a true music bidness professional. Afterwards, I went backstage and his manager gave me a nice tour photo of JB that was signed to my wife and myself.

Very cool, and he certainly didn't have to do that. Nice guy!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Toby is absolutely right. When you're performing, the audience doesn't care that your dog just died and your mom is a drunk...
Unless you're playing classic country music!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:32 AM

Meh ... musicians run the same gamut of personality types as the general population. From the uber-talented player who only needs a little confidence to be great, to the over-confident player who only needs a little talent to be mediocre. To tell the truth, this guy sounds like he's just repeating what he read on some guitar forum somewhere, and thinks it makes him sound more like professional (than he really is).
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion