The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2015, 07:53 AM

Default sometimes it is better to just keep it

My experience with trying to sell a Martin CS guitar resulted in the decision to just keep it. I have a Master Class Breedlove and I would never sell it below its value. It is a shame that so few people have had the opportunity to see and play these beautiful instruments. I think American made Breedloves are works of art and the owners are fortunate to know just how fine a guitar can be. Some guitars are just not replaceable and I feel fortunate to have two of them.
Martin CS21-11
Yamaha FG-420
Martin 000-1
Old 06-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Wow! It's a very modern design!! Have you tried eBay? It looks to me like it's priced just fine, you might need to wait awhile for the right buyer. I agree with all of the above posts.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I dont want you (or anyone else) thinking I'm bashing Breedlove, cause I don't mean to, but if you look on Reverb, there are over 400 Breedloves for sale, ranging from only $200 to nearly $5000. With that much range in their offerings, I'd want to be very brand intelligent before spending at the high end of that range on one. The design is unique, and probably not super attractive to more traditional buyers, so that limits buyer appeal. Then, there is the pricing based on current replacement cost - thats a red flag to me that theres a need to create the impression of value based on something more than the actual value of the instrument. Its a very nice koa/sitka guitar - but in the $4000 range, there are quite a few really, really nice options available for used guitars - do you feel that what you are offering has more appeal than those? Its a very unique and special guitar, and may easily be worth your asking price, but it may take a Breedlove afficianado to really appreciate what you are offering. But to the average guitar shopper, that may not look like the best value for their dollar. I would probably only be really interested in it if I were to pick it up in a shop and played it and it just really grabbed me - but otherwise, sorry. I wish I had more insight and could be more helpful, but thats my impression - Have you considered putting it in a shop on consignment that promotes Breedloves and has more customers looking for them? Who is the largest dealer of Breedlove? I'd talk to them - but also keep in mind that selling any guitar in that price range is not terribly easy -
Hi Doug...

This comment especially...along with most of the others...pretty well sums up your predicament.

To make matters more difficult...most of the Breedlove enthusiasts out there, who are looking for a used Masterclass Custom instrument, tend to mostly look for the older Breedloves...from 1992 to 2000. Back then, Breedlove was a boutique/custom shop only, and was run by the founders Larry Breedlove, who worked there until about 1994, and Steve Henderson, who worked there until about 2001. This is generally considered the "Golden Era" of Breedlove...so to speak...by Breedlove enthusiast/collectors/patrons...and the guitars made during this time period are the most sought after by these same folks. That said...even those guitars...the sought after years...still tend to sell for under their surmised/appraised value.

As a number of folks have said...you will likely have to lower your price and/or be very patient.

It's a real shame...but...that is the situation you face...

Best of luck...it is a really lovely guitar!

duff
Old 06-01-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
Doug,

I sold a beautiful guitar from a well know custom builder. If you ordered it from
the builder it would cost close to 10k.

I listed for a while at 5k and then sold it on consignment. My net was about $3,500.
In the end I should have kept it but you know how these things go. One in one out and I already bought the "in" one.

I don't think you get value out of selling custom guitars unless you find just the right buyer. It's tough. Good luck. I think you may have to come down on your price.

I agree on trying consignment at a Breedlove shop.
Did you have 10k in it ? Was it new when you purchased it ?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Just to be frank, Breedlove instruments are way undervalued on the used market. They have been and it looks like they will continue to be. I saw your ad when you first posted. It's a wonderful guitar, but I knew immediately your asking price was way too high. If you research the "sold" prices you'll see what I mean. It's a hard pill to swallow, especially because they are such wonderful instruments. I played them almost exclusively for quite a few years. I believe you'll have to take about 65% to 70% of your current asking price in order to sell it. It's my opinion, but my experience in buying and selling them over the years has proven this over and over.
Undervalued or overpriced ?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
Undervalued or overpriced ?
I think I stated it very clearly. If, for whatever reason you don't agree, you're entitled to your opinion.
If we look objectively at the market for instruments with similar attributes (small to medium shop, grade of tone woods, build quality, fit and finish et al) their pricing is competitive. Breedlove has had more than their fair share of issues, some of which they have bought upon themselves. Some that have been caused by "consumer perception" and not least of all, the "unconventional" design. They are however, in my opinion, fine instruments that just don't command a high resale value.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
I think I stated it very clearly. If, for whatever reason you don't agree, you're entitled to your opinion.
If we look objectively at the market for instruments with similar attributes (small to medium shop, grade of tone woods, build quality, fit and finish et al) their pricing is competitive. Breedlove has had more than their fair share of issues, some of which they have bought upon themselves. Some that have been caused by "consumer perception" and not least of all, the "unconventional" design. They are however, in my opinion, fine instruments that just don't command a high resale value.
I do agree that they are fine instruments with some very unique build concepts, excellent construction and great attention to detail and they sell when they are priced according to what the market will pay.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
.....and they sell when they are priced according to what the market will pay.
It's a very specific customer looking for this guitar. When the customer finds the OP's guitar, I'm sure they'll work something out. He doesn't need to price it to sell it to you or me.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Michaels View Post
...I am very open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Doug
Hi Doug,

For starters, you cannot price a 2009 Breedlove based on what it would cost to replace it today, you have to go with what the market will bear, which in the case of your custom auditorium is around $3000. Instead of lowering your price two three times, which doesn't look good, I would suggest you delete you current ad, and start a new one that includes all, or most of the photos you have, instead of sending folks to photobucket. I would also suggest you not include shipping, which can get expensive. Listing on the forum and Reverb is fine, but neither will get as many hits as eBay. Like it or not, eBay is well worth the 10% fee they charge. List it here at $3000 on Reverb for $3100, and at $3300 on eBay and see what happens.

BTW, there is no such thing as a golden era for Breedlove, the guitars they are building today are their best work yet. There is also no collector interest in limited edition, or one of a kind Breedloves. Breedlove only builds 5000 guitars in the US, so the word limited means nothing, all of their US made guitars are more limited than any Martin, Gibson or Taylor. Breedlove is very much a boutique builder, and like other boutique brands, they tend to do well new, and in stores where people can try them.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
For that kind of money there are a lot of more popular options out there. You're going to need someone really looking for a Breedlove and their numbers are far fewer than those looking for Martins, Collings, & Taylors.
This pretty much sums it up. Say I have $3500-4000 to spend on a guitar. And say I know I will eventually want something else and will sell it. I'm going to buy something that 1) I can actually try out in a store and 2) I know will have decent resale value. Plus if I buy new (and I can get a Martin D35 or 800 series Taylor for that kind of money), I get a lifetime warranty. This may have been a "lifetime guitar" for you (which begs the question why are you selling it), but not for many others.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:04 PM

So is this a Master Class Koa A-22. Hard to offer up a fair price with so little to go on. I skimmed the tread and really know know much about the guitar, dead on mint.

But there are bindings and inlay and really much more info needed. Breedlove has "Retirement" grade Koa and they have "AAA" it's really hard without photos and detail. I'm a Breedlove guy from way back.

Some are confused or have been burned with their changes and imports and models. USA Masterclass are top of the line guitars.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:45 PM

Default Sold

This is the OP here. I would love to keep the guitar for sale on the AGF so I can get these amazingly helpful and insightful responses. Really, the value of this kind of info, input and very kind comments cannot be measured in words or money. Your ideas are great and I for one am humbled to be a part of this community.
All that being said, and all that you all said, the guitar is SOLD to a guy off this forum for $2750. He said that lowering the price put it in his range. He also said that he is a Breedlove guy and respects the brand. Really, all the points made in response to my request for help on the price of my A22 here on the forum proved to be true. He is the exact type of guitarist that appreciates what this guitar is and is ready to pay for what he wants, and gets.

Thanks very much for all the great input here. Now the sad part. Shipping my baby off to its new parents.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
For that kind of money there are a lot of more popular options out there. You're going to need someone really looking for a Breedlove and their numbers are far fewer than those looking for Martins, Collings, & Taylors.

That said, you only need ONE right person to be interested. They'll show up sooner or later, but probably later.
Found that person today and its sold. Thanks much for the input.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:40 AM

Resell for guitars go from 40%-70% depending with special conditions breaking those rules like vintage or like it was a 200 run and it was all sold out that day. Sadly the master class is very very beautiful with high level of craftmanship which commands it high price. But since the brand is not popular your looking at a very low return expect to settle for $2500 give or take $100. People can easily say that if it was more well known and played (the master class series) that it would sell at a reasonable $2900-3400 range but the true is that its not well known or played.

Use to own
Breedlove C1 (1992)
Gibson Lc2 (Sitka/flamemaple)
Gibson j200
Gibson j45 (koa and standard and custom)
Gibson hummingbird artist
Gibson Dove
Martin HD28 2x
Martin OM28v
Martin OM1
Rainsong om1000
Rainsong ws1000 2x
Takamine tan15c
Taylor 814bce 25th anniversary
Taylor 414ce
Old 06-02-2015, 12:53 AM

Congratulations, Doug, on finding the right buyer for your very nice guitar, and your being able to come to mutually happy terms. This thread has included some very helpful perspectives on the issue of pricing a previously loved guitar. Another thing that makes the AGF a great place to hang out!

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
a22, breedlove, price