The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-10-2020, 08:23 AM

Default X7 neck profile compared to Cargo

My recent post that includes this consideration was, perhaps, asking for too much.

I have a Cargo, considering an Emerald X7 with a custom wider nut. As I try to nail down just how wide, I want to avoid too little extra to justify the custom cost while not going to excess for comfort in my style.

One consideration is neck profile; I am not looking for anything highly technical here. Simply a sense of how they compare from folks who have played both. "Similar" is what I might hope for. Any insights?
Old 04-10-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

People probably got all talked out with the label falling off thread. Give them time to recuperate and they'll be back.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-10-2020, 04:21 PM

Oh yes

Labelgate

Twas’ exhausting
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-10-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Oh yes

Labelgate

Twas’ exhausting
Just wait until handles start breaking off mugs.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-10-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh yes

Labelgate

Twas’ exhausting
Labelgate...what a GREAT label that will probably stick!

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-10-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Labelgate...what a GREAT label that will probably stick!

Tony
Indeed ... good labelage.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-10-2020, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Just wait until handles start breaking off mugs.
This would be a serious QA problem. You are paying for the mug, and the guitar comes free as a bonus.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-11-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
This would be a serious QA problem. You are paying for the mug, and the guitar comes free as a bonus.

Tony
Well, shoot, since the guitar is free what do I care if I get the specs wrong. Just need to buy another mug!
Old 04-11-2020, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
Well, shoot, since the guitar is free what do I care if I get the specs wrong. Just need to buy another mug!
Good point! There are plenty of guitars laying around already. If you don't like this one, there is always that one. Some call it GAS. I call it - looking to fit the mug.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-13-2020, 06:24 PM

Default X7 neck profile compared to Cargo

Quote:
Oh yes

Labelgate

Twas’ exhausting

How hilarious!
I had no idea when I started that thread that it could result in so much discussion.
I guess we should get out more. And when the COVID-19 lockdown ends, maybe I will.
At any rate, I re-glued it (so far, it’s holding) and I think the tone improved.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:16 PM

Since no one actually answered the OP's question, I will chime in. We have both a Peavey-era Cargo and two X7's with woody tops (version 2 with forward-facing sound hole). I find the necks to be very similar in feel. Both are 1.75" nut widths and similar shallow C profiles. If you are OK with a Taylor neck, you'll be OK with an Emerald too.

The biggest difference is the 22.75" scale length of the Cargo, which is a little tight for my beefy fingers - like capo'ing up a couple of frets more than I prefer. The 24" scale length of the X7 is delightful, and I would not want to go much shorter than that. Note too that the current X7 V3 (slanted sound hole) is notably bigger than the old ones, and many report here that it is tonally closer to the X20 than the older X7's. (I have only ever played one newer X7, and briefly). V3 is more like a 00 body size, whereas the older V2 is more like a parlor size.

The Cargo is very bassy for its size and sounds amazingly good. I would describe Cargo as Martin-like, with the X7 as more balanced tonally and modern sounding, aka more Taylor-esque. FWIW.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Since I was not hearing back here, I started a conversation with Chloe at Emerald and she (with an assist from Alistair) guided me through the process and I ordered up an X7 yesterday, with custom nut (46.5 mm) and some assurances that the neck profile was similar to Cargo. Your comments help validate the decision process.

I have found the scale length on the Cargo to be really comfortable, but have little worry that the longer (but still short) scale on the X7 will be problematic, maybe better. Nice to hear that the X7 has a balanced sound...the Cargo is indeed bassy, and definitely punches above its weight (or size) tonally.

This my first foray into "blind" purchase of a guitar, without playing or even seeing an example. Rave reviews on this forum have definitely been a factor. That, and the ability to customize nut width.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:57 AM

Glad that I could help, Jim. There probably are not many folks who have both guitars on hand to comment. We (my wife) got her Cargo to replace her GS Mini. Being more petite than me - I'm NFL lineman sized - she likes smaller guitars. Once she tried the Cargo, her GS Mini was sold quickly. Then she tried an X7 during Carbon Fest I at Kramster's house in FEB 2018, and shortly thereafter ordered her woody X7. The Cargo mostly sits in its case in the closet now.

I ordered a custom X20 back in early FEB to eventually replace my stock X20. Given my successful experience with a custom X20-12 a couple of years ago, I have ordered a matching six string version. While I love my stock X20, the new one will have two custom features: shorter 24.6" scale and only 20 frets on the fret board. I did not feel the need to widen the neck from the standard 1-3/4" profile, although I do like guitars with 1-7/8" (47.6 mm) at the nut too. The shorter scale makes it easier to play my more intricate finger style pieces as my left hand stiffens a bit with age and my "reach" decreases some. I never use the frets above #19 anyway, so having a 24 fret fingerboard does not help me - and it can get in the way of my strumming stroke.

Congrats on your order - it should be wonderful.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:06 AM

Interesting to note that the GS Mini was my "gateway" guitar, too. I had sold my D-18, which had grown too large for comfort as I aged, and replaced with the mini (for travel) and a 000-17M. The Martin, which was a terrific instrument but stayed in the case while the more comfortable Mini (smaller body, shorter scale) was mostly out, was the first to go. Becoming intrigued with the idea of carbon fiber and its stability led me to try a Cargo; on first view it seemed too small to take seriously, but that passed on the first strum. Looking forward to the X7 now!
Old 04-22-2020, 09:29 AM

Mama bear at 5'-4" likes different instruments than papa bear at 6'-6" (I sometimes joke that I'm 5'-18") and that makes sense.

She liked the GS Mini with its body size and 23.5" scale length just fine - until the day she tried the Cargo in our LGS. She mostly plays Hawaiian slack key in taropatch tuning (Open G, DGDGBD) with light gauge strings. She does not play often enough to have great callouses, so an easy playing feel is good for her. Conversely, I opt for medium gauge strings to maintain good tension as I work through several lowered tunings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber