The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-10-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
It’s the ‘grand piano’-like curve at the end of the fretboard, like this:

Attachment 103996
Thanks.

I actually wish the fingerboard on my X20 ended at fret 22 like the X30. I found that the tone I like best for finger picking is right at the 24th fret, which is getting in the way.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 02-11-2024, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Thanks.

I actually wish the fingerboard on my X20 ended at fret 22 like the X30. I found that the tone I like best for finger picking is right at the 24th fret, which is getting in the way.
That’s how I felt when playing the x20 and x10. I don’t always play in that region but do vary hand position for different tonal color.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

For me, the "Sweet spot" for an acoustic is in the middle area of the fretboard around the 5 - 10 frets. If you arrange the music you play, you get to pick where you want to play it.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-11-2024, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
For me, the "Sweet spot" for an acoustic is in the middle area of the fretboard around the 5 - 10 frets. If you arrange the music you play, you get to pick where you want to play it.

Tony
I believe the OP is talking about right-hand positioning, not left…

As for me, I’ve never come close to hitting the end of the fretboard with my right hand, but I can understand how someone with longer forearms than me could run into the issue.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-11-2024, 07:37 PM

Quote:
As for me, I’ve never come close to hitting the end of the fretboard with my right hand, but I can understand how someone with longer forearms than me could run into the issue.
In classical guitar they even have a special word ("tasto") to indicate when you should play with the right hand over the fretboard.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

OK thanks for the clarification. In that case, my picking hand (in consideration for left handed players for whom right hand would be the fretting hand) pretty much stays over the sound hole for a "rounder" sound or moves closer to the bridge for a "plinkier" sound. I don't seem to have much use for the softer sound that I would get playing closer to the fretboard.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-12-2024, 01:03 AM

Quote:

I don't have long forearms but try holding the guitar in a classical angled position. You will find that this moves your hand much closer to the fretboard.

But as others have stated, the reason to do this is mainly tone. In my case also for volume and sustain which is somewhat lacking in my X20.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 02-12-2024, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile640 View Post
I just wanted to say that I'm super impressed with the X30.

The X30 really stood out as far as resonance and volume. Insane sustain too.

I am really glad to hear this, so congratulations and enjoy!

I wanted the same experience myself but was very sad when I got it. I guess I was unlucky and just got a bad one, or what!?

Was the X30 you tried a standard carbon top or was it a veneer version? If veneer, which one, maple or redwood? Mine was just carbon.

BTW, how did you like the trebles since you are a fingerstyle player?

To me, they just sounded so thin and harsh to the ears. The mids were OK, and with the bass, I was not impressed at all, as it was kind of dead and lacked sting. Definitely not the bass, which many people praise so much.

I was after that sensational sound so many people describe when they first play the X30, but it sounded to me only as good as most mediocre production guitars you can try in many shops. Even the cheapest Mexican GC Taylor I tried some time ago had nicer trebles, and the bass had more separation and focus power. And I never really liked the Taylors, so...

Did the X30 you tried have mediums on to sound better?

"I just can't wrap my head around it," or I just became deaf.

Thank you. A Hui Hou Kākou
Old 02-12-2024, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanefsky View Post
In classical guitar they even have a special word ("tasto") to indicate when you should play with the right hand over the fretboard.
I learn something new every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I don't have long forearms but try holding the guitar in a classical angled position. You will find that this moves your hand much closer to the fretboard.
Of course - that’s something I obviously hadn’t considered.

Quote:
But as others have stated, the reason to do this is mainly tone. In my case also for volume and sustain which is somewhat lacking in my X20.
This seems to be an area where Emerald might still have some work to do, based on comments like this, and others I’ve read over the years. It will be interesting to see how the imminent Klos offering fares in this regard.
Cordoba Stage

Old 02-12-2024, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...This seems to be an area where Emerald might still have some work to do, based on comments like this, and others I’ve read over the years. It will be interesting to see how the imminent Klos offering fares in this regard.
I assume you're talking about the Klos Grand Cutaway and GC Mini? I'm interested in the mini as a possible travel guitar. I'll be stopping by Klos on a trip to Utah in the Spring to check it out. The demo video sounds promising.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I assume you're talking about the Klos Grand Cutaway and GC Mini? I'm interested in the mini as a possible travel guitar. I'll be stopping by Klos on a trip to Utah in the Spring to check it out. The demo video sounds promising.
I’m referring to the upcoming classical variant discussed in this recent thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=680330
Cordoba Stage

Old 02-12-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koa&cedar View Post
I am really glad to hear this, so congratulations and enjoy!

I wanted the same experience myself but was very sad when I got it. I guess I was unlucky and just got a bad one, or what!?

Was the X30 you tried a standard carbon top or was it a veneer version? If veneer, which one, maple or redwood? Mine was just carbon.

BTW, how did you like the trebles since you are a fingerstyle player?

To me, they just sounded so thin and harsh to the ears. The mids were OK, and with the bass, I was not impressed at all, as it was kind of dead and lacked sting. Definitely not the bass, which many people praise so much.

I was after that sensational sound so many people describe when they first play the X30, but it sounded to me only as good as most mediocre production guitars you can try in many shops. Even the cheapest Mexican GC Taylor I tried some time ago had nicer trebles, and the bass had more separation and focus power. And I never really liked the Taylors, so...

Did the X30 you tried have mediums on to sound better?

"I just can't wrap my head around it," or I just became deaf.

Thank you. A Hui Hou Kākou
I tried one with a cocobolo veneer. I found the trebles to be full and warm and easy to bring out over other voices, but I do use tiptonics for my "nails" and have spent 37+ years of developing good right hand tone production from my classical guitar studies. The X30 had lights on it I believe but I'm not sure what strings they were. The bass sounded great of course as did the mids. Are you playing with a pick? I've read that Emeralds respond better to a lighter pick, but that is of course other peoples' opinion.

Last edited by Emile640; 02-12-2024 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m referring to the upcoming classical variant discussed in this recent thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=680330
OK, thanks. Klos is getting quite a wide lineup of guitars. Though I wish they'd put more emphasis on wider nuts on their steel-strings guitars.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I tried one with a cocobolo veneer. I found the trebles to be full and warm and easy to bring out over other voices, but I do use tiptonics for my "nails" and have spent 37+ years of developing good right hand tone production from my classical guitar studies. The X30 had lights on it I believe but I'm not sure what strings they were. The bass sounded great of course as did the mids. Are you playing with a pick? I've read that Emeralds respond better to a lighter pick, but that is of course other peoples' opinion.
Thank you for reply.

Last edited by koa&cedar; 02-15-2024 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I must have become deaf in my old age, or maybe I should just give Emerald one more chance. I do play with picks, even if the music is kind of fingerstyle style. Sometimes I use my fingers as well, but I have short nails... I never use thin picks, but my assumption was that the treble would become full when I tried with fingers as well, but it wasn't. I am pretty sure I got a bad X30 for whatever reason—dead strings, consistency ..., overbuild, etc.—and I sold it instantly, so I can't do experiments. It also bothered me, as it was way too quiet for my taste. If I try one more time, I will choose the veneer version and see what happens. There was no sensational experience in the sound, even after playing with some lower alternate tunings, so I am not sure what to think about X30. Thanks

Last edited by koa&cedar; 02-15-2024 at 02:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber