The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-14-2023, 06:24 AM

Default NGD: Atkin Hawaiian Master + question about relicing

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I've put this thread in the right category. But I wanted to share my new Atkin Aged Hawaiian Master that I recently acquired, after I got bitten by the Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe-bug

While the guitar is second hand, it is in great shape. However, when I was changing the strings, I noticed damage at the string holes at the bridge. But the thing is, these damages look quite consistent. I asked my guitar repair guy to restore it, but he thinks it is relicing from Atkin because he thinks it looks too neat and it seems to be covered with finish.

https://freeimage.host/i/JCwF2gs
https://freeimage.host/i/JCwFFdG

I asked the seller about it, but he didn't know anything. I emailed Atkin about it, but they haven't responded yet. So my question to you guys, people who own(ed) an ''Aged'' Atkin or who have ever played or repaired one: is this kind of relicing at the bridge normal to Atkins or not?

Thanks in advance!

PS: how do you put pictures in the text? I seem only to be able to insert the links to the pictures

Last edited by Sakin; 12-31-2023 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

My guess is that what you’re seeing are tool tracks from whatever they use to ream or chamfer the bridge pin hole. Doesn’t look like anything to be concerned about as it shouldn’t be a structural or aesthetic issue once the pins are in place.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 11-15-2023, 02:28 AM

Thanks for your reply Ryan. I know it’s just aesthetically, but I wonder if it was done on purpose by Atkin’s relicing team.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop