The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-28-2023, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Cedar for Halcyon with lots of strings? Size?

So I’ll preface this by saying I never considered a custom guitar before finding Ed and Halcyon, whose guitars everyone says are amazing at amazing prices. I scrimped and saved and sold, so this is likely the only custom guitar I’ll ever purchase and I want to get it right. I’m currently on Ed’s list and hoping to see my new guitar in about 6 months.

Now about the guitar! It’s going to be a 7 string, as I haven’t been able to find a great 7 string acoustic despite a couple purchases and resales. The guitars I’ve tried have been relatively cheap overseas models, and I’ve found the bass to be lacking and the overall tone disappointing, despite them being multi scales at around 25.5-27”. I’m almost exclusively a finger picker (on acoustics anyway), and I’m into weird tunings; I play a lot of alternating bass stuff, somewhat reminiscent of Fahey and Glenn Jones, but I’ve found having that extra string opens up a lot of possibilities. Ive written a few songs for 7 strings where the low 7 is tuned down to A or even to G, so having a full and powerful bass is important for this guitar. I’m thinking I might use a .076 7th string, and maybe go as far as 27.5” for the low scale length.

When I originally got on the list about two years ago, I was into mostly small-medium sized guitars (OMs) and Ed thought his Grand Auditorium size would make sense. Now I’ve got some experience with a Taylor GA and a Larrivee L, both of which I loved playing and found very comfortable. So I’m wondering if I should think about a bigger bodied custom, though apparently Halcyon GAs are already a little bigger than Taylor’s, and Ed says Halcyons typically have a lot of bass. Finally, I had originally thought I’d do spruce over rosewood, which had always been a good combo for me, but now I’m wondering about a cedar top, since this will be a (weird) fingerstyle guitar and I’ve enjoyed the Cedar guitars I’ve checked out. My current fave is a Taylor with a Redwood top, if that matters. I like some warmth, and round trebles are important, as harsh/scratchy ones played with nails are something I always try to avoid. So, thoughts on woods?

Sorry for the dissertation, but wondering if anyone has some input on this. I’m trying to figure things out a little bit before I bring my thoughts to Ed, as I know he’s busy and probably has better things to do than email me back and forth all day.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congrats on your build. Some quick thoughts.

For a 7 string, I would go as large as you feel comfortable with the body. There’s no real substitute for air volume for bass.

While Cedar typically has more warmth, I would avoid it on this guitar as it may be a little too muddy in the low end. (Not always but why tempt it)

Spruce over Rosewood would be a solid choice, but this you should ask Ed about the right wood on his guitars for the tone you’re looking for.

Good luck!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 10-28-2023, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Congrats on your build. Some quick thoughts.

For a 7 string, I would go as large as you feel comfortable with the body. There’s no real substitute for air volume for bass.

While Cedar typically has more warmth, I would avoid it on this guitar as it may be a little too muddy in the low end. (Not always but why tempt it)

Spruce over Rosewood would be a solid choice, but this you should ask Ed about the right wood on his guitars for the tone you’re looking for.

Good luck!
Thanks! Good point about Cedar and the low end, as it’s already hard retaining clarity when tuning that low. I will certainly discuss this with Ed; I guess details don’t get finalized until the build is ready to commence so I have some time. I should probably get my hands on a jumbo and see how that feels.
Old 10-29-2023, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I think Lutz or Englemann would make a better guitar for your purposes. Ed is a fan of Lutz. He might have some torrified Lutz too; it is an option listed for Halcyons. I have a Lutz OM that is very round toned and responsive.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
I think Lutz or Englemann would make a better guitar for your purposes. Ed is a fan of Lutz. He might have some torrified Lutz too; it is an option listed for Halcyons. I have a Lutz OM that is very round toned and responsive.
Thanks, I’ll ask about this. I’m not too familiar with the different Spruce types, other than Sitka. I see that Ed offers Engelmann for no extra charge- how does it compare to Sitka and Lutz?
Old 10-30-2023, 07:16 AM

Great recommendations from the two responses above. I just bought a Halcyon SS dread featuring a Lutz top with Padauk b/s. It has super clarity with a big, round end. Very responsive. The bracing is tall and very thin. Great fingerstyle guitar! Good luck with the build.

Engelmann also is a great top for fingerstyle. I have a 000 Northwood that has a beautiful, full low bass and beautiful chime to the top end.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop