The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2024, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald Shipping - Which to use?

I recently purchased another Emerald X20 which can be seen at 16:25 in the March 1, 2024 Shipping Video below. In the past I'd gotten into the habit of paying the extra $195 for "expedited shipping" via UPS. I did this because I thought it would be much quicker delivery than free shipping via USPS and having had to pay a "Customs Fee" on one occasion when delivered by USPS, I thought the extra fee would lessen the possibility of being socked with another ransom payment.

I decided to forgo the expedited shipping this time around and compare shipping speed. I'm not saying that this is a representative sample but merely a one-off comparison. Typically, my Emeralds would show up on a Shipping Video on Friday meaning it had shipped a couple of days prior. Traveling via UPS it would arrive on the following Friday or three days later on Monday. This new X20 appeared in last week's Shipping Video and was delivered today (Saturday) since USPS routinely delivers on Saturdays. (Saturday deliveries are an extra charge using UPS.) It came through the Richmond, VA postal terminal which has been wrought with troubles in the past and is better known as the place where mail goes to die. It spent what seemed like an extra day in Richmond so theoretically it could have arrived yesterday (Friday).

Based on this and my specific location and the quality of services via USPS and UPS on the east coast, I can say that I'll never again pay extra for the expedited shipping. I live off of two side roads in a rural area, and my mailbox is 100 yards or so from my house. My postal carrier routinely brings packages to the door, and this was also the case with my new Emerald...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-09-2024, 04:25 PM

First of all, Congrats on your 12th Emerald! Your new X20 looks awesome!!

Regarding shipping options, my experience is similar although I live in a large metropolitan area.

On my first 3 Emerald guitars I paid the extra $195 for UPS tracking thinking that would be more secure requiring signature.

However, while they all arrived at my door safely, UPS just left one there while nobody was home to sign.

On the most recent Emerald purchases I opted for standard shipping and both arrived just fine.

Standard shipping maintains the same Ireland tracking number when received at US customs and can be tracked via USPS.

I don't have plans for another Emerald anytime soon, but if I do I will opt for standard shipping!

Last edited by dgaemc2; 03-09-2024 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-09-2024, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
First of all, Congrats on your 12th Emerald! Your new X20 looks awesome!!
Thanks. Emerald instruments are like peanuts; one is not enough...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-09-2024, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

I used the regular shipping once (ANPOST/USPS) and it was similar time frame as UPS. Not nearly as good tracking though.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Thanks. Emerald instruments are like peanuts; one is not enough...
I know that all too well! Lol
Old 03-11-2024, 01:56 PM

I don’t know how to post pics, but the postal shipping destroyed the box for my X20. I know any non carbon guitar would have suffered from the obvious bumps and drops it endured. Guitar and case are fine, but it stops the heart to see a guitar box with a new guitar that looks like mine did.
That said, I had UPS destroy a 5K guitar before too, so I guess it is luck of the draw.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:22 AM

Wow. My X20 just shipped and I did the free shipping. Hope all goes well. No porch pirates here in rural Montana. Just hungry bears.
Oh yea, nice X20. I remember his comment in the shipping video “12th guitar!”
Guild JF55 NT
Guild 412E
Taylor 612 C (1996)
Old 03-13-2024, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstraw View Post
Wow. My X20 just shipped and I did the free shipping. Hope all goes well. No porch pirates here in rural Montana. Just hungry bears.
Oh yea, nice X20. I remember his comment in the shipping video “12th guitar!”
Is this yours???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 978600132-1026x1536.jpg (40.2 KB, 34 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber