The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 09:57 AM

My experience with Reverb has been positive. After more than 20 transactions as a seller and buyer, I am yet to come across any real issues. Before entering into a deal with a seller without feedback I would at least want to talk to him on the phone and see if any red flags pop up.
Christian
Old 12-05-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimt View Post
Ask the seller lots of questions.
This! A first time seller is a little concerning, so I'd message him with a bunch of questions and try to figure out if he's legit. I've also used "reverb chat" in the past -- you might want to ask them "Hey, what if I commit my money to this transaction and then I don't get the guitar? What's the recourse?"

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-05-2021, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Yes as long as you go through Reverb payments you will be protected from fraud/a guitar that arrives in a condition that it wasn’t described/photographed in. I would recommend double checking the sellers return policy - some will sell guitars “as described”. In that case you’re still protected, you just aren’t able to return a guitar if say, you don’t like the sound, or the neck is too big/too small, etc.
Sound advice. Even sellers (music stores selling on Reverb included) with high marks may have a no return policy. Note, they mean no returns unless it's not as advertised.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Just thinking of this from the seller's point of veiw, for those who advise the OP not to buy from anyone with no feedback, how would you advise a person selling for their first time on Reverb to deal with that?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 12-05-2021, 01:50 PM

Usually on reverb. A first time sellers funds do not clear till the item has arrived to the buyer. That is the way reverb set that in place. But buyers are encouraged to talk to the first seller often. That should be all even done prior to purchase. To see how the seller responds and in a timely manner. That sets a relationship. I bought my harp guitar from a first time seller. It was a good experience. I was not worried at all.

Keep in mind. We that are on Reverb. Were zero feedback sellers at one point in time. I sold a 67 Sj as my first sale. I never received funds till the item arrived at the buyers door.
Gibson SJ200

Last edited by Slimt; 12-05-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimt View Post
Keep in mind. We that are on Reverb. Were zero feedback sellers at one point in time. I sold a 67 Sj as my first sale. I never received funds till the item arrived at the buyers door.
I was thinking this very same thing. I have sold some 170 items on Reverb and I have bought items too (I am now finished with selling gear - vowing nevermore). I have had a few things happen, but by and large all transactions went fine. By far, most of my sales and purchases weren't the kind of money you are talking about, but a few were.

Check their return policy and ask lots of questions.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-20-2021 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneyard75 View Post
I have had mostly positive experiences on Reverb.... Honestly, as a buyer, I prefer that site to eBay....
However, with the new rule of having to file a 1099 for sales totaling $600 per Annum, my time of buying and selling on any site is about to be over....I believe this policy begins at the start of the new year....
As usual, our government has increased their greed for the common man's money....
I don't really think the 1099 policy will be a big problem. Only a gain is taxable and I can't imagine people are making big gains selling their used guitars. Having to pay sales tax that was implemented a while back was indeed painful though.

The real purpose of 1099s isn't to tax occasional guitar trades. It's intended to flush out people running businesses and not reporting. This levels the playing field for those businesses that are reporting.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:32 PM

I'm hopeful things go well. I purchased it this morning. It's a 2019 Taylor BE 614ce WHB for $2500 plus tax.
I actually "chatted" with the seller through the Reverb app for a few hours talking about the guitar and asking questions about the guitar, talked about other guitars we own, some of his road stories. He seemed like a kind and honest guy. I actually had a couple problems on my end and he was understanding about that.

The guitar is "new" as in he purchased it and it's been in its case humidified since. So no warranty but on the listing it says it was never played and it is returnable if it's not in the condition he stated it was in.

I'm not as worried as I was but I'll still be a little nervous until it gets here and I'm able to look it over and play it!

I appreciate everyone's help/advice and sharing your own experiences!
Old 12-05-2021, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I think you will be just fine if the guitar is packed well...

On the other hand, I've had some pretty poor packing jobs done by " seasoned " experienced sellers.... so that is just not a given....

Please let us know how it goes!
Old 12-05-2021, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I just sold a guitar for the first time on Reverb. My first sale, so no feedback. If everyone was unwilling to buy from people with no feedback Reverb would have never gained any traction.
Talk to the sellers, ask questions, in my mind feedback is no guarantee of anything.
On your first sale Reverb hold the money till the buyer says they're happy and have received the instrument. So the buyers moneys protected and the seller does not get paid till the buyer basically says OK.
No feedback, no risk to you the buyer, Reverbs keeping an eye on your money so there's no risk.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post

On the other hand, I've had some pretty poor packing jobs done by " seasoned " experienced sellers.... so that is just not a given....

He said he'd pack it well so *fingers crossed* and I'll definitely let you guys know how it goes. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I just sold a guitar for the first time on Reverb. My first sale, so no feedback. If everyone was unwilling to buy from people with no feedback Reverb would have never gained any traction.
Talk to the sellers, ask questions, in my mind feedback is no guarantee of anything.
On your first sale Reverb hold the money till the buyer says they're happy and have received the instrument. So the buyers moneys protected and the seller does not get paid till the buyer basically says OK.
No feedback, no risk to you the buyer, Reverbs keeping an eye on your money so there's no risk.
Thanks for sharing your experience! It's helpful hearing it from the sellers perspective too!
Old 12-20-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post

Just wanted to let you all know that I received the guitar last Thursday and I'm very happy with it. It arrived in perfect condition! It's spending the day at a luthier that my Dad is friends with so by tomorrow I'll know if there are any issues with it that I didn't see! After I get the word that it's all good I'll be leaving the seller positive feedback! We had a little issue with a shipping delay but I know so many people are stressed with the holidays and everything so that wasn't a problem!

Thanks again everyone for your responses. I may not have gone through with the sale if I didn't receive helpful feedback from all of you!

Old 12-20-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtotheJ View Post
It arrived in perfect condition!
Good to hear it! And major congrats!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-20-2021, 03:59 PM

Hooray!!!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion