The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2021, 10:51 AM

Default QSC K10.2 as the only amplification....good idea?

I am doing mostly solo acoustic and vocals and I have been trying to find the best sounding/simplest solution to gigging. After trying several different combinations and ideas I have finally landed on using my trusty QSC K10.2 as a stand-alone acoustic amplifier and vocal amp.

I have the QSC set to Guitar/Vocal preset and I run my microphone straight into Channel A and my acoustic straight into Channel B. I have Channel A set to "Mic" and Channel B set to "Inst". I am trying to eliminate the need for a separate mixer and this seems to work nicely. I do miss having a reverb option for vocals. I am running my acoustic through a Strymon Big Sky so I am getting some really nice reverb there. I then run from the Big Sky straight into the QSC with just a regular instrument cable. No DI box or anything. Sounds really good though. (Side question: Do you want to have the volume turned up higher on the speaker or the guitar?)

Does it look like I am running this effectively or efficiently? Is there another way you might recommend? Any other settings or changes I should make? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I am using a Taylor NS72ce with Fishman Prefix ProBlend pickup, Strymon Big Sky, and a Shure Beta 58a.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonershane View Post
I am doing mostly solo acoustic and vocals and I have been trying to find the best sounding/simplest solution to gigging. After trying several different combinations and ideas I have finally landed on using my trusty QSC K10.2 as a stand-alone acoustic amplifier and vocal amp.

I have the QSC set to Guitar/Vocal preset and I run my microphone straight into Channel A and my acoustic straight into Channel B. I have Channel A set to "Mic" and Channel B set to "Inst". I am trying to eliminate the need for a separate mixer and this seems to work nicely. I do miss having a reverb option for vocals. I am running my acoustic through a Strymon Big Sky so I am getting some really nice reverb there. I then run from the Big Sky straight into the QSC with just a regular instrument cable. No DI box or anything. Sounds really good though. (Side question: Do you want to have the volume turned up higher on the speaker or the guitar?)

Does it look like I am running this effectively or efficiently? Is there another way you might recommend? Any other settings or changes I should make? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I am using a Taylor NS72ce with Fishman Prefix ProBlend pickup, Strymon Big Sky, and a Shure Beta 58a.
Your setup is just fine. You can't beat the QSC k series powered speakers. Clear, loud and articulate. We had a K8.2 and only sold it because it was way more power than we needed and we also like having battery power. We also needed a third input for a second mic. But with just one guitar and one mic you are fine. If you really need/want reverb on your mic then you can just add something for that.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:36 PM

I have wondered about the K8.2 simply because of the size difference. I really love the K10.2 though and with a nylon string, having the extra bass to it really helps. I have even set it up like a monitor facing forward and it worked really well. I have thought about buying a second K10.2 but honestly never needed more than one. Wonderful little speakers.

I would like to have the option of battery, but I could never get along with my S1 Pro. I have looked at the battery power supplies from Jackery and they seem like a great option. I am just not sure exactly what I would need to power the K10.2. I have even thought about trying a QSC CP8 because it does not use as much power. I have never had the chance to check out the CP series though.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:16 PM

I use K10.2s for my mains. Two out front if needed; sometimes one "high and behind" for a small venue. I have a CP8 if I need it for a monitor with the K10s out front, or if I am doing a really small performance and don't want to lug a lot of gear. No problem with the sound quality. I think your setup is fine.

TBH, some folks here think the K10s are a bit more mid-rangy strident than the K8 or K12, but it's a small nit and I don't think I'd replace the K10s just for that. The K8s are great for not-too-big acoustic gigs though and many use them for that.

That said, I use a mixer in front so I don't have any vocal reverb options.

As for your "side question" about volumes, it's all about gain staging. Run your guitar up until you are getting good gain into the speaker but not clipping, then turn up the speaker to the desired overall volume. Better to get the best signal you can going into the speaker than going to soft and having to crank the speaker up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification