The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2021, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Eastman E2om

I wonder if any owners of the Eastman E2om can chime in with an update on how they are liking this fairly new and very inexpensive OM. Does it continue to satisfy and would you consider it a players equal to the other Eastman E OMs? Also is the gig bag useful or would you suggest getting a case, gig bags clog up my guitar closet more than cases.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:10 AM

I have an E2OM Cedar topped guitar and I play just as much as the other guitars in my sig. The case is very sturdy and it is a little puffier than a normal hard shell case.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 11-30-2021, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Bob for that report. Is the neck and nut width similar to your 000 15SM? I have heard some of the recent Eastman OM have a tight feel to the string spacing near the nut.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:30 AM

Ok, I just checked by playing an F barre chord on the two. The Eastman is a tad thicker but not by a lot. They both have 1 3/4" nut width.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 11-30-2021, 06:56 AM

I recently bought a very good condition Eastman E2OM-CD from a forum member. My only other Eastman is an MDC805 (arch top mandocello) that I converted to a 6 string guitar. I haven't played any other Eastman OM models.

I love the tone and playability of my Eastman E2OM-CD. Its not just a good guitar for only $500 - its a great guitar. I enjoy it just as much as my Martin HD-28 and other guitars that I paid over $1000 for.

I buy a hard case for every instrument. I found a Gator from Sweetwater that fits pretty well.

I'm one of those players who doesn't care about nut width, string spacing, inlay, bling, glossy finish, bragging rights, etc. For those this may not be a good choice.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:01 AM

I've got one and I like it. String spacing is a little tight for fingerstyle, but if you can play a Taylor, you'll be able to play this one. They sound really good, especially for a guitar in that price point.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

I don't have the OM but do have the dread (E2D-CD) and it's a great guitar. Gotta believe the OM is a fine guitar as well...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-30-2021, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

I’ve got the cedar top one as well. Not sure if a regular non cedar version is still made. Got mine just a month or two ago and I like it. It’s different enough to be fun and it’s got it’s own sound with the cedar. It’s loud and clear sounding and responds well to different strings. The only things I will point out are not really issues just stuff I’ve noticed that could be better if we’re being picky:

The gig bag, while useful, is on the thin side. Not in the same league as a Taylor gigbag.
The fret ends are sharp and need dressing. I also had a couple high frets that needed work and the nut is slightly too narrow.
The neck taper is a tad narrow as it gets to the heel. If I remember correctly it’s at least 1/8” narrower than my om-15. Not a deal breaker just FYI.

Those things haven’t kept me from being happy though. It’s got volume and tone in spades.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:03 AM

My most played OM is an E2OM-CD. The E2OM and E1OM are imo the best value per $ OMs on the market today by many miles.

Things you find most commonly talked about are the thickness of the neck and spacing at the saddle. It is pretty chunky. I like it.. They are slightly more narrow at the saddle so there is slightly less room for fingerpicking then most 1.75 inch nut guitars. Outside of these 2 things these are amazing instruments that with any other name on the headstock would be listed for 1200++$.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

These sound like a fine addition to any collection. The somewhat narrow spacing at the saddle is not uncommon on many OM size guitars. I really like the subdued almost southwest theme look of the rosette on the cedar.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Well it looks like Fret Central in Minneapolis just sold their last E2OM. I will check back after it arrives at its new home.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Love mine

Like many other AGF members, I have owned many brands of guitars: R Taylor, Goodall, Santa Cruz, etc. I bought my E2om-cd a few months ago and I like it as much as any guitar I’ve had in years. It is extremely well made, has an incredible tone, nice volume, is clear as a bell and just fun to play. Awesome guitar, period, regardless of cost. Let us know how you enjoy yours once it arrives!

Taylorcrazy_____________

Old 12-03-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

The Eastman E2OM from Fret Central in Minneapolis arrived yesterday late afternoon. I don't think NGD is appropriate until I have had one for a few days. Let us get a bit acquainted first. My impression so far is very favorable, I am transitioning from 00 size to OM size and that colors my thought. This is a lovely looking guitar, subdued and a satin type finish. Straight grained cedar top and nice dark sapele back and sides, the dark tortoise trim finishes it nicely. The nut and saddle are well cut and the setup is good but perhaps not perfect for me. I might in a few days lower the nut slots ever so slightly. The low E at the 12 fret is between.90 and .100". The tone is clear and rich with a bit of color, for lack of a better word. I am surprised to find how comfortable the OM is for me. I thought 00 was so much better, but found myself craving a bit more horsepower. Two thumbs up! I do need to find a hard case for it.

Last edited by offkey; 12-03-2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Playing my E2D-CD (dread version) on the front porch this morning a half step down with 12's. Think it's found a new home in that tuning. Huge voice! Big congrats on the E2OM!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 12-03-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:23 AM

I saw one recently in a like-new condition on local craigslist for $400 CAD! That’s $310 USD for an all-solid wood guitar. Itching to get it myself but I’m in the process of thinning the herd

edit: I can send the link if you’re interested, just shoot me a message

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion