The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-24-2021, 04:11 PM

Default Slide Technique Question

I generally attempt to learn to play slide about every 10 years or so, after which I throw my slide in a box somewhere and vow not to ever do that again. Well, it has been about a decade since my last attempt, so I figure I best get started before I fall behind schedule.

I have tried different fingers on my left hand to wear the slide, generally settling on my pinky as doing the least amount of damage. I also always use a slide sized so that it goes on all the way to the base of my finger, effectively locking my finger straight and causing me to have to bend my wrist a lot more than when playing normally, which is tiring. I have noticed that some folks only slide the slide (hah) down to the middle knuckle on whatever finger they are using so that they can bend that finger joint and not have to contort their wrist as much. That is more comfortable, but I feel like I can't control the slide as much as it seems to want to fall off. Maybe I need a smaller diameter slide so that it grips my finger a bit and doesn't feel so sloppy.

Thoughts? What works for you guys?
Old 11-24-2021, 04:38 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Firstly, I learned to put the slide on the ring finger and for a good reason: the middle and ring fingers are the rotational center of the hand when you rotate the hand from the wrist. It give you better control of vibrato than you get with the slide on the pinky. But you go on with your own bad self.

To your question: I have large fingers and use different slides.

The two large ones at the ends are my favorites. They fit over my fat fingers down to palm. I hold them on by flexing my finger inside to grip. Smart people get a little self-stick rubber pad and put it inside. I played the two Corricidin bottles exclusively for years and they would only go down to the middle joint. It wasn't as secure as my flexing business. They also didn't allow any air in so my finger would get moist from sweat. The Mighty Might brass slide in the center is snug enough to hold on nicely. The Dunlop Thick-wall on the right is probably my favorite. I typically use that for recording sessions and the Mighty Might for live. The big brass on the left was machined for me out of brass stock by my son, the machinist. I use it for resonator playing. The chrome "thing" at the bottom is an ergo slide (Shubb-Pearse SP-3 (Sally Van Meter model) I use for lap steel.

By the way, Joe Walsh and Bonny Rait both use the middle finger for slide. Joe learned from Duane Allman(!) but altered his technique by putting the slide on the middle finger and playing with a pick! His left hand motion is quite pronounced with the slide on the middle finger - it always looks to me like he is demonstrating for a lesson.

Remember to dampen the strings behind the slide with your free fingers. Slide wants boldness and self confidence probably more than regular playing.

I hope that helps a wee bit.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-25-2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlE View Post
I generally attempt to learn to play slide about every 10 years or so, after which I throw my slide in a box somewhere and vow not to ever do that again. Well, it has been about a decade since my last attempt, so I figure I best get started before I fall behind schedule.

I have tried different fingers on my left hand to wear the slide, generally settling on my pinky as doing the least amount of damage. I also always use a slide sized so that it goes on all the way to the base of my finger, effectively locking my finger straight and causing me to have to bend my wrist a lot more than when playing normally, which is tiring. I have noticed that some folks only slide the slide (hah) down to the middle knuckle on whatever finger they are using so that they can bend that finger joint and not have to contort their wrist as much. That is more comfortable, but I feel like I can't control the slide as much as it seems to want to fall off. Maybe I need a smaller diameter slide so that it grips my finger a bit and doesn't feel so sloppy.

Try using a bit of athletic tape inside the slide to snug it up. Mine comes down to the middle knuckle.

I put my slide on the pinky. It was harder to learn to control, but I like being able to to make 3 finger chords. If it was good enough for Ry Cooder...
Old 11-26-2021, 12:11 AM

Another pinky guy here - I started on slide when I had my left wrist in plaster as a teenager and started noodling (in standard tuning) with my guitar lap style. I play "regular" slide now but it gave me a sense of how it feels and the idea of dampening behind the strings, playing two/three string chords, single string runs, vibrato etc. I supposed it might confuse the issue but it also might help you get started.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 11-26-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:

I use my pinky. The reasoning (besides seeing more guitarists doing it this way than ring finger) is that if I use my pinky I now have 75% of my fingers available for non-barred music. If I used my ring finger, then that would change to 50%. I do not usually use a full length slide. This lightens the load considerably and leads to fewer faux paux for me. I have never much liked the scratchy sound of a slide on wound strings so do not mind much losing the ability to use a slide on the lowest strings.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Hi Carl,
I've been playing slide since 1970, and I've always used my ring finger. Nobody taught me, or told me which finger to use, and the internet was very quiet at that time.

I use a very, very large glass bottleneck I cut from a champagne bottle. I have a small piece of felt inside it, but not to make it tighter. It's there for a little grip.

If you watch this video you'll clearly see that my finger is curled/bent as it naturally would be without a slide on it. I am further able to control it with the middle finger and pinky on either side holding it securely.

Playing slide is all about 'less is more'. You don't fret the string with the slide, but instead you allow the mass of the slide to control the pitch of the string with minimal contact.

It's a fine line balancing act.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-01-2021, 04:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Carl,
This may also help broaden your perspective as it was shot with real cameras.

They weren't paying much attention at first, but they finally get it together after a little bit......It should start at the 20:42 mark, but if it doesn't, fast forward to it.

I do know how to use the Youtube icon in editing, but it won't copy the 'start at' feature, so I'm only including the video link in its entirety, which appears to work properly.

If a mod would like to modify it, please do!

https://youtu.be/QRAW1Yx71uc?t=1242

HE
Old 12-01-2021, 08:25 AM

Thanks for all of your input and advice. I think my main issue is that I have spent most of my attempts trying to play slide on my pinkie, which happens to be pretty short compared to my other fingers. This means that if I put it on down to my middle knuckle, only about one third of the slide is controlled by my finger and the rest dangles beyond my finger and flails around. If I put it on all the way down to the palm of my hand I do gain more control but then I have to bend my wrist around more than I would like. I may need to spend some time trying the slide on my third finger (bending at the middle knuckle), but in the past I have preferred the freedom of having the first three fingers available for chords.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Nice work Howard, thanks for sharing your great video
Old 12-01-2021, 10:02 AM

I'm no slide master, but I enjoy playing that way sometimes. My observation is that there are many ways to approach playing slide, and they all seem to work for some players.

The first guy I ever saw playing slide (over 50 years ago, and they were using a cut off wine bottle neck) would often play it by laying his flat-top acoustic down on his lap. Kelly Joe Phelps does that in modern days, and of course Dobro players do this all the time and most often use slides that are designed be held in the hand not over a finger. I've tried that myself, and while it should allow more control it hasn't stuck with me.

One thing I noticed a year or two ago (from a video posted here of Fred McDowell playing) was that Fred used a surprisingly short slide. I'd always used a longer one of whatever material that easily covers all six strings. I got a couple of shorter slides and it does seem to help me for some things.

So keep experimenting.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-01-2021, 12:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for all of your input and advice. I think my main issue is that I have spent most of my attempts trying to play slide on my pinkie, which happens to be pretty short compared to my other fingers. This means that if I put it on down to my middle knuckle, only about one third of the slide is controlled by my finger and the rest dangles beyond my finger and flails around. If I put it on all the way down to the palm of my hand I do gain more control but then I have to bend my wrist around more than I would like. I may need to spend some time trying the slide on my third finger (bending at the middle knuckle), but in the past I have preferred the freedom of having the first three fingers available for chords.
Carl,
Let's put something out there, up front: Just because it doesn't feel right, right away, does NOT mean it's not going to work.

If this stuff was easy everybody would be doing it.

As far as having 3 fingers free for chords goes, consider the obvious: I have a far greater reach with my pinky being free than I'd ever have using my ring finger to fret with.

Of course then the 800lbs gorilla in the room is that so many players don't use their pinky to begin with, or they say it's too weak, or yadda, yadda.....so by default the pinky gets the slide, and then the reasoning as to why the slide won't work on the pinky for any number of reasons.

If you really want it..........and don't be afraid to get professional help:-)

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-01-2021, 01:01 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Be aware that the two adjacent fingers will help stabilize the slide when you have it on the ring finger.

In the '70s I played lead with a band that played a particular song where I went back and forth between slide with right-hand fingers and finger lead with pick... AND BACK. It was a triple middle eight section. I had only a measure or so to make the changes and it was hilarious and stressful!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-01-2021, 02:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

I love this!! I'm an "every ten years" slide guy myself so I can totally relate. I'm not trying to take this thread off its rails, but for all you other guys who use one: what is your favorite tuning for the slide? One of the best players I've ever heard and played with (many years ago) used slide in standard tuning and the results were absolutely awesome. But for me - being somewhat impatient - using a full D, G or E tuning at least lets me get some two and three note combinations at the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 12th fret that sound like I vaguely know what I'm doing. But I suspect there are other tunings or at least a more efficient way to play in standard tuning.

Anyway....great thread, thanks for posting!

Gene
Old 12-02-2021, 09:33 AM

Middle finger a-la bonnie raitt, glass slide from Dunlop, middle knuckle, don't damp much behind the slide (more noise the better, let everything ring out!). My slide guitar has mondo relief and high action so I never fret anything on it. I might fix it some day, but till then, slide and lap steel on it only!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write