The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2021, 11:56 PM

Both of my Taylor acoustics have K&K pups. Far superior to any Taylor system.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:14 AM

Kinda obvious, but you could just order the guitar you want with NO ES2 from Taylor, save yourself $300, and you'd have the guitar in 3 months.
Being a lefty, a 3 month wait for a guitar to be built would be heaven
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 12-26-2021, 11:24 PM

I own several Taylor guitars and have owned many more. I love them. Other acoustics just don't do it for me. Get what sounds good to you. Thing is, when something sounds good in your music room or living room, it is a whole other thing when you are playing in a bar, pub or bistro, all with different acoustics, PA systems, and crowd noise. That's when I need a working electronic system that works and is reliable. Subtlety goes out the window. For me, Taylor delivers.
Old 12-27-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Good rant. Enjoyed it. As to your rhetorical question on why Taylor does this -- sorry, I have no answer. I've wondered myself why Taylor thinks most people are going to plug in their guitars.

Because the majority of Taylor owners will and do.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 12-27-2021, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Sorry but Wade hit the nail on the head and drove it home in one wack.

Taylor makes the configurations in they numbers they do,, because that is what has proven to sell .... Not the other way around .

The notion that Taylor should change this because a few customers don't like Taylors electronics or cut aways, is preposterous, given they offer that option if that is what you want .

The shear arrogance to assume that people buy them because of being duped by marketing and don't know any better, is both preposterous and condescending

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-27-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
What an insightful comment. I wonder if the shops sitting on millions of dollars in unsold new old stock high-end Taylors with ES2 they were forced to take because of dealer agreements would agree.
This is all just my opinion (obviously), but absolutely yes I think retailers would agree. If there was a huge demand for high end Taylors without electronics, these retailers would hear about it from all the disappointed customers in their stores, and would probably pass that feedback on to Taylor. If there was actually a demand, Taylor would do something about it.

Like with most hobbies/activities/interests, the demands of folks on niche internet forums are often different from the demands of the "masses".
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 12-28-2021, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Taylor knows how to run a business. They convince people they need a pickup and a cut away. Most don't, but that doesn't matter much, it sells guitars. Then as you go up the ladder, people do need them and it's a logical step to buy a better Taylor. I know at least two people who gig with Taylors, not because they are best, but because they work for a lot of situations. Can't fault Taylor for their success. The ES2 system is good. Not the Holy Grail, but good.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-29-2021, 03:18 AM

I remember years ago (15 or so) when this place used to be called the Taylor Guitar Forum. I also remember many people complaining about the early ES systems (the Post-it Note debacle) and the Taylor company was not happy about it at all…and all we were doing was venting about it, just like now…still venting 15 years later.

Proprietary electronics suck. I’ve dealt with this with early Takamines, Ovations and Gibsons. But, you have to remember, we are the minority here. I’ll venture to guess that we are only a fraction of Taylor’s guitar sales in a year. The fact that a customer can buy a guitar AND plug it in is an amazing marketing tool. Above and beyond that, think about it…let’s say Taylor saves $5 per
guitar using their own ES from using their former Fishman-based system…at 75,000 guitars a year…whoa, that’s a lot of cash saved.

I owned the ES2 system for 6 months. I swapped out version 2.1 to 2.2
and then to whatever preamp all trying to find the right combo of gain, anti-feedback, etc. I liked the sound, but there was a problem. Hard to describe but stand in front of a guitarist at 5 feet. Sounds great, right? Now step back and listen to the guitar player at 25 feet. THAT is how the ES2 sounds. There’s a spatial quality to it that I could never dial in the forefront. It always sounded so far away and insignificant.

Sold the guitar and with it, the ES2. I purchased another Taylor with a 20 year old Fishman Matrix. Ironic.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I think the general guitar-playing public has come to expect and accept that a new acoustic guitar will have a pickup/preamp system in it. All you have to do is look at even the $200 imports that come standard with some form of pickup/preamp system in them.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-30-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
That's what I meant. You stated it more accurately. Why does Taylor assume most folks want to plug in Taylor guitars than, say, Martins or Gibsons?
Taylor players usually play with bands.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 12-30-2021, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Oh let’s see now…..one of the most successful guitar companies in the history of guitar companies does something that some people don’t like. They are successful for a reason, they know how to appeal to the masses. And I are one of them

I was playing my Taylor 512e this morning, plugged into a Fishman Loudbox Mini and I love the tone, always have. I own other guitars with Baggs sound hole pickups. Baggs Anthem, Schatten HFN, etc. They all sound good to me, different but more then usable.

I am ok with the knobs and the ES2, to each their own and I do hope you find what you want.
Couldn't agree more. I also think the amount of energy spent by some folks who get so twisted up over what they dont like about a certain product sometimes gets a bit comical. I run from my 2 Taylors in pics signature into a Twin City radial DI that sends signal into the 2 amps (pic signature) and have a blast playing with various tones, sounds etc.

And then ironically I'll find people on here with guitars that they acoustically send into pedal boards with 5 -15 effects to get their so-called tone they're chasing. If those pickups were so fantastic that it needed 5 -15 pedals to make it sound great doesn't seem very acoustic or organic to me. Just food for thought not trying to insult anybody's style or flava.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

All good stuff here folks. The OP reminds me of Bill Collings having said something along the lines of if he only sold guitars to "musicians" he'd be living under a bridge. Like it or not, most of us are hobbyists and so are the "mass' to which 'mass marketing' is focused.

Taylor's doing great focused on the center of that mass, and has a custom shop for those of us with the patience and cash to get exactly what we want.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:23 AM

Ok, I must confess! Even though the tone may not be the best pickup tone on the market, the simplicity of battery changes and the control knobs always made me overlook the tone. I’d say the ES system is the most user-friendly of all the active pickups.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-02-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Taylor knows how to run a business. They convince people they need a pickup and a cut away. Most don't, but that doesn't matter much, it sells guitars. Then as you go up the ladder, people do need them and it's a logical step to buy a better Taylor. I know at least two people who gig with Taylors, not because they are best, but because they work for a lot of situations. Can't fault Taylor for their success. The ES2 system is good. Not the Holy Grail, but good.
I'm curious how Taylor "convinced" people they needed a pickup and a cutaway...
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 01-02-2022, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
Taylor players usually play with bands.
What a curious assertion.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification