The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: Are you a Baby Boomer?
Yes, I am. 153 81.82%
No, I’m not. 31 16.58%
I don’t care to discuss it. 3 1.60%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2021, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I guess 1958 makes me a late boomer, so I voted yes. I was still a kid when the 60's revolution was happening, but I was pretty well informed and aware of it, maybe more than my folks were They were trying to house, feed and clothe me and 3 younger brothers and didn't have a lot of time for anything else.

I feel fortunate to have been born when I was. Almost everyone in my immediate family came of military age "between wars," so that terrible suffering did not touch us directly. My mom had an uncle not much older than her who was on Iwo Jima, but it was not something he talked about.

The only problem with being a boomer is that there are just too many of us!
Old 05-07-2021, 07:35 AM

Talking Oh yeah

Boomer all the way.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:38 AM

Born in ‘51. My Dad had to see Bob Feller pitch against the Senators. Mom agreed to go even tho she was more than plenty pregnant. They got seats in the upper deck at Griffith Stadium. They went straight to the hospital after the game. I was born a few hours later. Was going to Nats games a few years later with The Knothole Club. Remember seeing The Beatles and The Stones on Ed Sullivan. My uncle took me and my cousins to see the Beatles play at DC Stadium.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

Last edited by sayheyjeff; 05-08-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The year 1957 was a great one for many things: Chevrolets, Gibson Les Paul guitars (2 humbucker config), electric watches, Frisbees, the Cavern Club (Liverpool), and ME (I was born that year). I spent my childhood playing in the woods outside Knoxville, Tennessee, and hiking and camping in the Great Smoky Mountains and along the East Tennessee rivers and lakes.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-07-2021, 07:47 AM

Handy little guide here if you're unsure ...

Chronologically I'm definitely a boomer, but my life experience seems to have more in common with that of a Gen X'er.

I'd agree with raysach's comments above: early and "late era" boomers had two different experiences. A lot of the stuff associated with boomers we late era ones experienced either at a very young age, or second hand thru our older siblings.

For example, we knew about Haight-Ashbury and Woodstock, but couldn't go to either. Hey, we were only ten! LoL !

---

Last edited by Highroller; 05-07-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:56 AM

I am a millenial.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:05 AM

My country hasn't been at war since 1945, and my parents were about 9 years old at that time.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-07-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Born in '67 so that makes me early Generation X.
Also in the early Gen X group, meh.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:43 AM

Yea, I'm one too.

Black and White TV.
Metal Skates (w/key).
Slip and Slide.
Tube radios.
Bicycle paper route.
Saw A Hard Days Night in the theatre, Oscar Meyer and the weenie mobile, etc.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:47 AM

Born in 1947, the beginning of the boomers. My grandfather fought in the trenches in France in WW I, my dad landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day, fought in the Battle Of The Bulge and spent 5 months as a POW in a German prison camp. Weighed 78 pounds when the Russians finally liberated the prison camp. I was in Viet Nam with the 173rd Airborne Brigade and one of my sons was in the Army in Desert Storm. Somehow we had no one the right age for Korea. BTW, my mother is still alive and well at 97 years old.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Nope - Jones generation.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I am, but I’m a ‘59 model and I contend that the experience of early Boomers and late Boomers was so different they shouldn’t be considered the same generation. I have a brother who’s an early (‘47) Boomer and a sister (‘45) who missed it altogether bt about 4 months. My brother and sister came up in the innocent ‘50s, were driving when the Beatles hit, were old enough to be fully traumatized by the Kennedy assassination, were old enough to either serve (or not) during Vietnam, and are basically the generation the fraught all of the cultural and political battles of “the ‘60s”.

Whereas I remember the Kennedy assassination and the Beatles, but I was a very little kid and neither changed my life at the time. Vietnam ended well before I was draft age, and by the time I was “of age”, the Summer of Love, the sexual revolution, the civil rights movement (the first one, anyway), the early women’s movement, environmental movement, and gay rights movement had all happened or were well underway, MLK / RFK / Wallace had all been shot and assassination attempts were a way of life. everyone took smoking weed and having sex in high school almost for granted. I was 10 years old when Woodstock and Altamont happened, and 11 when Joplin, Hendrix, and Morrison died and the Beatles broke up - that stuff was OVER before I even got started. I’m very close to my older siblings, but they were almost more like a second set of parents to me than siblings, at least until we were all kind of middle aged. We grew up and came of age in COMPLETELY different worlds!

Without getting into their politics at all, suffice it to say that our two previous US presidents were both technically “Boomers” but were probably the two most diametrically opposite people that we’ve ever seen in that office - one was a very early Boomer, one a very late Boomer. I’m not sure where the break point would be, but the lived experience of people born in the late 40’s and earlly 50’s couldn’t be much more different from those born in the late 50’s and early 60’s.

Sorry for the long winded-ness, but I dealt with demographics as a huge part of my career and I’ve thought about this stuff both personally and professionally a LOT.

-Ray

There’s the same discrepancy with millennials and X’s that were born between 1978 and 1984. That’s the transition from X to Y, and many of them doesn’t exactly identify with either or generations, so they call themselves “xennials”. The 80’s is a huge decade for gen X, but that group was too young to remember much of the 80’s.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Nope - Jones generation.
I had to look that one up, turns out I is one!
Old 05-07-2021, 10:29 AM

Yep a 55 model and spent a lot of time drinking from all my neighbors garden hoses during the summers. Staying out until after dark playing kick the can with a neighborhood full of kids. At 12 years old started making spending money bucking bales and other chores for the local ranchers. Rode my Schwin 2 speed out to the fields on the highway and my parents didn’t worry (or at least let on if they did).

Pretty great time growing up

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 05-07-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I'm enjoying the recollections, here are some of mine.

Building tree forts and log forts in the woods and then having outside sleep overs (co-ed) of 10 or 15 kids. Putting M80's (a type of firecracker, fairly dangerous, not a Baggs pick up!) into copperhead dens--made quite a mess. Breaking into the golf cart barn and riding all over the course at night, getting them all back in one piece, except for that one time when I didn't see the brook..... Starting fires and trying to put them out before they got out of hand (only happened once!). This stuff was all before high school.....I was considered a "goody two shoes" by the tough kids in the neighborhood, some of this stuff I was more of an observer, but I was there!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic