The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-28-2017, 09:04 AM

Default LR Baggs M80 Users?

I'm a long time use of the Fishman Matrix, but don't want that in my D-18A. I'm thinking of going the Baggs M80 route (that over the K&K for this guitar since I'd need it to get pretty decent volume in a band setting sometimes).

One thing I like about it is that it's not permanent and doesn't seem too invasive. However, can anyone tell me how difficult it is to get out and put back in? I'm thinking I'd want it out after every gig, so it's not in there while playing at home. Also, is there a cable just hanging out in there with the pickup out?

Thanks in advance!
#3 Album on the Folk DJ Charts Apr 2016
Winners of American Songwriter Magazine's 30th Anniversary Song Contest
"An incredibly promising debut" -Maverick Magazine
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 07-28-2017, 09:43 AM

I use an M80. I think it's a fantastic pickup all around.

That said, it is not very convenient to put it in and out all the time. I have to completely loosen all strings to get it out (though I only take it out to change batteries typically). If you go the permanent installation route (rather than dangling a cable out of the sound hole) you will indeed have a cable inside the guitar when the pickup is not hooked up.

Last edited by H2O; 07-28-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I use an M80. I think it's a fantastic pickup all around.

That said, it is not very convenient to put it in and out all the time. I have to completely loosen all strings to get it out (though I only take it out to change batteries typically). If you go the permanent installation route (rather than dangling a cable out of the sound hole) you will indeed have a cable inside the guitar when the pickup is not hooked up.
Ok, that's what I was worried about. Thanks!
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 07-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

I agree it is not easy to take in and out; actually it's easy, but a pain.

I leave mine in my D15, which I gig with. I think if I were in your shoes, if you needed a pickup in that amazing guitar, and were really going to gig with it, I'd go K&K.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I agree it is not easy to take in and out; actually it's easy, but a pain.

I leave mine in my D15, which I gig with. I think if I were in your shoes, if you needed a pickup in that amazing guitar, and were really going to gig with it, I'd go K&K.

Yea I think I'm leaning toward K&K. Just a little nervous about full band / high volume situations.
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 07-28-2017, 12:42 PM

I had this pickup and it's very nice. The look of it and the issue you are asking about, prompted me to go with a Baggs Lyric. A fine pickup and one of the most acoustic sounding I've ever used.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Yo mwalk,

I use the M80 in my D18 and keep it in 100% of the time as a full-time musician, however, when I change battery or want to take it out, it is no problem and I do not loosen strings; don't need to on this guitar.

I did not want a UST or SBT in this guitar and after much research & trial, I stuck with M80...features, looks & tone all work for me, but not without some tweakin'. I play a ska/percussive style so I don't pad the mounts cuz I like the body dual source-like capability. The pole piece adjustments and pickup placement make a huge difference.

The pickup is comparatively light and imo does not affect the unplugged sound after I A/B it. I use plain ol' Martin M540 PB 12-54 strings and plug straight into either Fishman Loudbox Artist or Performer depending on venue, however, I recently added the Boss AD-2 to the signal and it tweaks the mag tone nicely, very natural & feedback resistant. I also have a TC Body Rez and it also works well with the M80, but I like the AD-2 better.

I like the ivory color as it compliments my sitka top & custom bone bridge pins while the dark center strip lines up nicely with the ebony fingerboard:

Best wishes!

eric

Here's a live clip soundcheck at a gig plugged straight into a Loudbox Performer recorded with just a Canon camera: https://youtu.be/j_Wrmzze9Es

Here's a live clip at home plugged straight into a Loudbox Artist, same Canon camera: https://youtu.be/mjLfeYXCjqA

Here's a 3rd live clip using the M80 in a Goodall I recently sold & this demonstrates the percussive charater of the M80 I enjoy: https://youtu.be/2emRKLW85X0

Take a listen, I think the M80 sounds very natural; these clips are very accurate as to the tone with my D18 imo.

Last edited by noledog; 07-28-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Guest 728

I use my M80 on m Guild, and it's great. I highly recommend running it through a Baggs Paracoustic DI.

I take mine out and put in back in all the time. The cable stays in the guitar when the pickup is removed, but it has never been a problem.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Guest4562

You can get it in and out using a small Phillips screw driver. It's a little clunky to do but with practice it's fairly easy. If you do a permanent installation like I did, yes, the wire remains inside but it doesn't hurt anything. I just leave mine in. The presence of the pick up doesn't hurt anything either.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 PM

If volume is a concern at all, I would lean M80. Not only is it going to be feedback resistant, but its tone will be clearer than the K&K, it will detect all sides of the guitar, and it does not require a special preamp. It costs more but it is far more flexible and versatile.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 07-29-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalk View Post
Yea I think I'm leaning toward K&K. Just a little nervous about full band / high volume situations.
I replaced a K&K in my (now sold) J-45 with a Baggs M80. I loved it. So much so that I just put the M80 into my new Eastman. For playing live, especially with a band, the M80 is great. Feedback resistant, and (most important) it delivers a lush, full tone that does not sound like typical magnetic pickups. It plays great on its own, but I also run it through a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ for added control and warmth.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 07-29-2017, 07:36 AM

Another vote for a soundhole pickup here. I use an M80 in a full band setting playing large venues and even this can cause problems with feedback especially when I have to use floor monitors instead of IEM.

I'd be very nervous about using any pickup system such as the K&K in a loud band setting.

As for temporary install, you're likely to cause more damage removing/refitting a pickup especially if you have a cord dangling from the soundhole. I believe there are end pin jack sockets available which don't require you to widen the diameter of the end pin hole, thereby retaining the originality of your guitar.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:10 AM

Default LR Baggs M80 Users?

I have M80s in two guitars. A couple of observations:

I find they need a bit of cut around 200 Hz which isn't available in the two or three band EQs in a lot of amps or PA systems. I always use some sort of outboard pedal EQ with this pickup.

They pick up a lot of squeaks from clothing in a glossy finish guitar. I prefer a matte finish with this pickup.

Elixer strings don't have a lot of output from magnetic pickups in general, and if you use Elixers with the M80, your going to get mostly the body sensing component and very little magnetic sound. I've switched to coated D'Adderios for my M80 equipped guitars.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone noticed any marks or damage around the soundhole from one of these? I'm thinking about putting one in my incoming J-45 Vintage.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 12-22-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post

I like the ivory color as it compliments my sitka top & custom bone bridge pins while the dark center strip lines up nicely with the ebony fingerboard:

Best wishes!

eric
noledog, I checked out some of your vids and have to say you get one of the most 'natural' tones out of one of these things that I've heard. You have just the right blend of whatever you got going, it's hard to tell it's a mag from your vids. I do disagree on one thing with you though...and certainly in the eyes of the beholder - it is an unattractive looking pickup. hahah. I wish it came in none more black as an option. IMO of course.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification