The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-01-2021, 01:37 PM

I'm trying to do my string homework before I change them. I'm not getting a lot to go on. I don't understand the reasoning for changing out the 6 string pair... I'm thinking i will go with elixir, and order a single string x 2 if i need to, after the fact (@$6 ea) I did this morning re tune to DADGAD and I DON'T get it. every chord I played sounded really out of tune! was this a joke? haha i fell for it, or there something I'm not getting.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I'm trying to do my string homework before I change them. I'm not getting a lot to go on. I don't understand the reasoning for changing out the 6 string pair... I'm thinking i will go with elixir, and order a single string x 2 if i need to, after the fact (@$6 ea) I did this morning re tune to DADGAD and I DON'T get it. every chord I played sounded really out of tune! was this a joke? haha i fell for it, or there something I'm not getting.
You’re going to have to play some games to get Elixirs in the right gauges. Closest I can find is an electric ‘Super Light’ set, which is .009-.042. Either that, or you’ll be buying lots of strings just to get what you need.

Or you can just buy the Newtones, which will actually come out cheaper than two sets of the Elixirs, and be delightful to play. Plus the fun of getting something in the mail from the UK
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-04-2021, 05:48 AM

David, i have ordered a set from Stringjoy. they have a 'custom' set . i know nothing about them other than a FB add and made in Nashville.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
David, i have ordered a set from Stringjoy. they have a 'custom' set . i know nothing about them other than a FB add and made in Nashville.
What gauge strings are in the set you ordered?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-04-2021, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting. I don’t see anything on their website - is this a set that they put together for you, or something they already had, but didn’t advertise?

I’m going to ask them as well - I’ll be asking them about strings for my X20-7 also.
Cordoba Stage

Old 12-05-2021, 04:46 AM

David. their custom sets allow you to pick the size for each string. they offer a wound or unwound string for #3. i have reservations....i ordered on thursday and a shipping label was created. as of saturday, they still have not shipped. prompt shipping is a requirement of mine.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
David. their custom sets allow you to pick the size for each string. they offer a wound or unwound string for #3. i have reservations....i ordered on thursday and a shipping label was created. as of saturday, they still have not shipped. prompt shipping is a requirement of mine.
Understood. Newtone offers the same facility. Many times, their custom sets are made to order, however, so shipping is best described as leisurely.
Cordoba Stage

Old 12-05-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Splendid! How about a picture or two?
I just posted a NGD in the General section here...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...06#post6872006

Here is a teaser...

Old 09-12-2022, 01:23 PM

Question Amicus pickup help needed

Hi,

I recently bought a used Amicus (model which still has bridge pins), and am enjoying it so far. Acoustically it sounds beautiful. Plugged in, however, the low D strings are louder than the others, and the high d strings are barely heard through the amp at all. Is the pickup bad, or is it simply positioned incorrectly (off center or something)?

Where is the pickup located? When I shined a light and looked inside, I see a wire running into the body around the bridge, didn't see a pickup itself. Is the pickup actually under the bridge on the outside of the guitar . . . meaning I (or someone skilled in this stuff ) will need to remove all the strings and the bridge to get access to the pickup to see what the issue is?

Thank you.
Takamine 12 string
Ibanez AE255BT-NT Baritone
Carlo Robelli SB-100E Bass
Various electric guitars and basses as well.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Amicus P.U.

Aaronkn, I too just purchased a used Amicus and I'm a happy camper. Sorry to hear you're having a pickup problem. The stock Amicus pickup is an LR Baggs Element (https://www.lrbaggs.com/acoustic-gui...ystems/element). It is an under saddle pickup with the volume/tone control and the 9V battery bag accessible thru the sound hole. The Endpin contains an active preamp. Because the pickup itself runs the length of the saddle slot underneath the saddle it probably isn't positioned incorrectly. My first move would be to confirm you have a stock pickup by checking with the seller you purchased from. Next a fresh 9V. Once you know what's in there you can check with Emerald and LR Baggs via email and ask if they've seen this issue. Both companies are mega-responsive. Failing all of that it might be time to take it to a qualified repair person. Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:13 PM

Buzz, thanks for the response. I've confirmed the guitar has the LR Baggs Element pickup, and it has a good battery inside. So I guess the next step is to reach out to the companies in case there's a known issue. Cheers.
Takamine 12 string
Ibanez AE255BT-NT Baritone
Carlo Robelli SB-100E Bass
Various electric guitars and basses as well.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
When I got mine, it felt very 'tight' in the standard D tuning. I tried C, and then went down to B, each getting progressively easier to play, but I felt as if I was rather missing the point of the Amicus. B to B is much closer to guitar tension, but it seemed as if I was missing the sparkle, so I went back to D.

It was still a bit hard to play, though, so I did a little checking. I realized that the nut slots were a tad high, so I took it to St Paul Guitar Repair for adjustment. They did their magic, and it now plays so easily, I barely notice that it's a 12-string. I don't see any need to lower the action - that nut adjustment was all that was required.
Hi David...MY Amicus is also too "tight" for my liking. I'm going to try the same fix to stay with the D tuning. I sure hope I can find a tech in San Diego with the same "magic". Thanks for the tip; otherwise, I really love this guitar!
William
Old 09-18-2022, 05:05 AM

the stringjoy strings i bought last december are still on my Amicus and still sound good. I only play it on Fridays. i meet 2 guys and one plays a banjo and the other a guitar. the amicus is a great bluegrass instrument! I only wish there was a way to play it without the capo...
Old 09-18-2022, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I only wish there was a way to play it without the capo...
There is

Seriously, I know what you mean - you’re probably capoing at 2 to play regular shapes. But, transposing for what I would assume to be common bluegrass keys (C, G) is really easy, with a bit of practice - give it a try!
Cordoba Stage

Old 09-19-2022, 04:05 PM

Default Amicus

As mentioned drop down a step and see if that helps.

Another thing to consider: I bought my Amicus used from a dealer and when it arrived it was strung with a set of 12 string light gage strings tuned A to A. Like playing a normal 12 guitar at Capo 5 etc. At first I was kind of irritated but it sounds so good and plays so nice I'm rolling with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber