The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 10:49 AM

Default Considering Atkin Guitars LG47 of Gibson 1942 LG-2 Banner RI

Well the title sums it up. I am considering A Gibson LG-2 style guitar. I'm more of a strummer than a fingerstyle player, and I think the LG style makes a little more sense for what I do. I do want to also continue learning blues playing with a pick as well. And a little fingerstyle. I want to stay with the smaller body style - I love it. Great for couch strumming and taking on road trips and camping, due to the smaller size.

There are surprisingly few boutique builders that make an Gibson LG inspired guitar. I know of 2, Atkin and Iris....and then now Gibson has this sweet looking and nicely spec'd 1942 Banner reissue to consider.

I am sold on the Atkins - they look amazing, get rave reviews on YouTube (Andertons guitar shop in the UK has a great interview with Alister Atkin), and there are a few very good short demos of the LG47 online, where it sounds amazing. To my ears, they have that special woody delicate responsiveness. They have baked sitka tops with redwood scalloped bracing. Construction wise, they are more modern - bolt on neck and titebond glue is used. But it seems to me, and another poster mentioned this, that Alister Atkin knows how to brace the guitar to get that authentic and vintage sound, despite the modern construction techniques. Also the finish is very thin and aged on these, and the thinness no doubt has an effect on the fine sound of these guitars. The biggest problem with the Atkins is that they are make in the UK, are basically unavailable in the US (right now at least), so I would need to ship from the UK and pay import duties, etc. I think it would cost around $4200 to get one here when it is all said and done.

So, despite wanting the Atkin based on what I know and have heard (and my experience with the boutique Waterloo), I am now considering the Gibson Banner RI. They look Really good. The specs are really nice - hide glue, thin vintage/satin finish, Adirondack baked top. No scalloped bracing, though, which to be fair is true to the original LGs. They are nice and light - 3.5lbs seems to be the average. Price is a bit steep at $4300, but still not bad when comparing to the other high end boutique guitars out there. There are a few YouTube reviews out there. They sound great - seem to have an old timey, but still new guitar sound. Since having a new rock'n'roller CEO heading the company since 2018, Gibson seems to have really upped their game, or at least they are trying to go in a better direction. Should I just go with the easier route of buying the 1942 Banner Reissue, if for no other reason, it is readily available in the US?

I am soliciting advice on this decision, and would appreciate if others who either own or have direct playing experience with either of these guitars would like to chime in.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-05-2021 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Please read the forum Top 5 rules sticky thread
Old 12-05-2021, 11:11 AM

I own both guitars, though my LG2 is an original '46 vintage beauty. I play both side by side often, and though their sounds are quite different, I'm often torn by which I prefer. Since I've had my '46 LG2 so long, there is no question which has more sentimental value and attachment. If the house was burning down I wouldn't have to think twice, I'd grab my Gibson, the Waterloo could be replaced.

All that said, the Waterloo is just more guitar, and enjoys much more of my time. I love the tone, the midrange growl I can get with my finger style blues, and I'm just really happy I took a chance and added it to my other guitars. I doubt I'll ever part with it, unless I found another Waterloo I preferred. And my Waterloo has become my travel guitar also. Though the Gibson sound absolutely fantastic around a campfire, I'm happy to leave it in the protection of my house these days.

Now to your specific question. Yes, the LG2 is a better strummer by far. As much as I love the Waterloo as a finger style blues machine, it sounds a bit brittle as a strummer. The LG2 is the opposite. Though I love finger style on the LG2, it also is a great strummer. It has an almost spongy type character, you can strum lightly(my preference) or really dig in for a nice well rounded sound. I think you'd really enjoy it if strumming is your preference. I don't know how the new re-issue stacks up against my '46, but if its in the ballpark I think you'd really like it. Good luck!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 12-05-2021, 11:35 AM

Fairbanks has offered an FG2 which was his take on a Banner LG2. But no doubt you will find far more offerings of L-00-esque guitars than the LG2.

As a starting point though the Banner LG2 did have scalloped bracing. It became standard in Gibson's X braced guitars in 1941. Even the first offering of the LG1 was X braced. So I would re-check your specs. It was the earlier L series guitars which had non-scalloped X bracing.

While I cannot speak to the modern versions I have owned a 1946 LG2 and a 1932 L1. The L1 is the guitar which is still with me.

Last edited by zombywoof; 12-05-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:18 PM

Tried and loved the LG47 when I was looking for a J45 type - if I had the money to have an LG2 type guitar as well, it’d be on my list. I did try the Gibson Historic line of larger guitars (J45, J55, OJ) and found the finishing and setup to be far superior on the Atkin. Sound wise I found the Atkins to all be good, whereas the Gibsons were far more variable, with one (the OJ) being exceptional and the others leaving me cold. I don’t think I’m too biased… (own an Atkin acoustic and love it, but also a few Gibson electrics)
Old 12-05-2021, 02:43 PM

In some 55+ years the best LG2 I ever got my hands on was a 1944 maple body instrument. If I had not run across it in the waning hours on a Sunday at a small guitar show and the seller able to take any kind of plastic that guitar would be sitting here with me right now. Both the maple body Banner J45 and LG2 were the stuff legends are made of.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:15 PM

The thing for me, with the new CS Banner LG2's is the nut width. Why on earth did they decide to go with 1.69"? I'm pretty adaptable to various nut widths, but that might be too narrow. Their 50's LG2 is a 1.72". Have never had the chance to play either, but would love to someday.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:11 PM

Thanks for all of the great comments!

I agree with the comment about the nut width of 1.69." Both guitars that I am considering, the Atkin LG47 and the Gibson Historic Banner have 1.69" nut widths. It's weird isn't it? The banners had 1.725" nuts, from my research, so why narrow it down to the width that came along later in the 50s??? And Atkin can do whatever they want, and they chose to make the nut width on their guitars the same narrow 1.69." I would prefer 1.75." Sometimes modern techniques/specs should take precedence over vintage specs, IMO. I would think most people would also have the same preference in nut width.

This is such an uncommon comparison, the Atkin LG47 vs. the Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2. The Atkin is very rare in the US and the most people haven't tried the new Gibson.

I'm leaning on trying out the Atkin.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:44 PM

Thanks for all of the great comments!

I agree with the comment about the nut width of 1.69." Both guitars that I am considering, the Atkin LG47 and the Gibson Historic Banner have 1.69" nut widths. It's weird isn't it? The banners had 1.725" nuts, from my research, so why narrow it down to the width that came along later in the 50s??? And Atkin can do whatever they want, and they chose to make the nut width on their guitars the same narrow 1.69." I would prefer 1.75." Sometimes modern techniques/specs should take precedence over vintage specs, IMO. I would think most people would also have the same preference in nut width.

This is such an uncommon comparison, the Atkin LG47 vs. the Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2. The Atkin is very rare in the US and the most people haven't tried the new Gibson.

I'm leaning on trying out the Atkin.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I actually owned the LG-2 1942 banner, sold it and bought (and currently own) the Atkin LG-47. A big part of my initial reason for doing so was the neck on the Gibson was a little too chunky for me. Now that I have the Atkins, I actually prefer it tonally as well - I think because Atkin has the aging process down so well that there guitars just sound so open an resonant to me, even compared to the thermally cured Gibson. The Atkin tone differs just slightly from the Gibson, and I haven't compared it with an actual older LG-2, but I absolutely am sold on these Atkin guitars. You can't really go wrong with the Atkin unless you like really chunky necks, and I suppose another factor is ensuring you have a try out period because you do want to ensure the Atkin is a keeper as the resale here in the U.S. will be more difficult compared to a Gibson or Martin. But for my money I am super happy to now have the LG-47.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:49 AM

I have an Atkin 47 that I picked up a few months ago when I was looking for an LG2. The vintage ones out there were either too much money or needed too much work for what I was looking for. I stumbled upon the LG47 on Reverb at a great used price and snapped it up before even realizing what I was getting. Needless to say, very happy I did. This guitar is very lively with great dynamics, strong string separation across the board and a very evenly balanced tone. Also great volume for the size. I was also very tempted but the Gibson 42 RI LG2, and came real close to buying one, but then came across the Atkins. Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure to play the Gibson in person, so I can't speak to comparisons. If you are anywhere near Western Massachusetts I'd be glad to let you try out the Atkin.

2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 12-06-2021, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I haven't tried the Banner reissue, but I do have one of the current 50's LG-2s and I really like it. But it sounds like a new guitar, it feels a lot like my '59 LG-1 but it sounds like a new guitar and I'm trying to play the snot out of it to break it in. If I had the budget for a $4k range guitar, I'd track down an Atkin, they just check all of the boxes. I am considering sending my LG-1 to Baxendale for a conversion, but there is a bit of expense involved.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-06-2021, 11:17 AM

This input is very helpful!

Mike, it's very interesting that you have owned both of these guitars. Your experience of enjoying the Atkin more than the Gibson, tonally, is what I was expecting if I ever had the chance to compare them in person. I also wondered if the Atkin would bring a slightly different flavor to the Gibson LG tone, and your experience seems to confirm that.

There are a few YouTube videos of a person named Joil playing a "Princess Green" Atkin LG47. The guitar sound so resonant, rich and amazing, plus the player is obviously very good too.

GeeMan, your Atkin looks really great. I wish I could meet you to try it out, but I am in Western Colorado! You really scored big, when you found that used in the US. It seems that all of the other Atkin models are available on Reverb from US sellers except the LG47. As you mentioned about vintage examples, I took a chance on a 1954 LG-3 on Reverb. It was awful - a number of cracks, and a crack on each side of the fretboard where the FB is glued to the top. The seller didn't mention the serious cracks next to the fretboard, and they weren't visible in the pictures. He listed the guitar in "good condition," it was fair at best. And to make things even better the guitar was so musty smelling. I sent it back. It didn't even sound that good; probably due to all of the repairs under the top.

I know that there are great vintage examples out there, but buying used "sight unseen" is too much of a crapshoot, at least for me at this point in time.

Goat Mick, I was tempted to try that 50s LG-2 myself. Great looking guitar, and great value for the money. The used ones seems to sell for around $2100. I compared the "Music Villa" demos of that guitar to the 1942 Banner RI and they sound pretty close, but the Banner has a drier, older sound to me.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzou View Post

Goat Mick, I was tempted to try that 50s LG-2 myself. Great looking guitar, and great value for the money. The used ones seems to sell for around $2100. I compared the "Music Villa" demos of that guitar to the 1942 Banner RI and they sound pretty close, but the Banner has a drier, older sound to me.
It really is a great value and I'm enjoying mine, but it doesn't have the drier, older sound you're looking for. Good luck with your quest. I hope you can find an Atkin for sale in the US. They are rare.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-06-2021, 01:26 PM

I have always refrained from giving an opinion when someone asks”which should I get” but this time I’ll join in and vote for the Atkin LG47, Sitka with the finish checking.
I am fortunate to own an excellent ‘48 LG2. I am fond of old Gibsons but not so much for the new ones.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:43 AM

Thanks for your comments. It seems like everyone is voting for the Atkin. There are 2 that I am interested in on Reverb. Care to comment on which one you would choose?

https://reverb.com/item/37365892-atkin-the-forty-seven

I prefer the dark sunburst on this one. But the rosewood bridge and FB are pretty light in color. This guitar is a 2019, so it doesn't have the "25th Anniversary" label in the soundhole.

https://reverb.com/item/36716825-atk...ntage-sunburst

I don't like the sunburst on this guitar as much, but I do like the darker rosewood bridge and FB. And even though it isn't accurate, I do like the fire stripe pickguard - looks sweet. This is a 2020 guitar with the cool anniversary label inside.

Ignoring the price difference, which one would you choose? Any other considerations that I may be missing?

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion