The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2021, 02:22 PM

Default Vypyr VIP 1

Anybody have any experience with them? I was offered a trade for one "in like new condition, in it's original box". I don't need another amp, but I've always been a fan of Peavey's electric guitar amps and I'm curious about the modeler's.

We can't get together until next week, so I thought maybe I could get some input here in the meantime.

I play electric too and the modeler's sound like they'd be fun to play around with, but I'm more interested in how they sound with an acoustic guitar? I see that they don't have a built in tweeter. Is that compensated for in the electronics to sound like they do? It's not a deal breaker, but I'm curious. I can listen to them online, but that doesn't tell me much through my phone. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:46 PM

I had the 30 watt 12" VIP-2. Baritone setting was very cool. Nice amp to experiment with a variety of effects. WYSIWYG interface was intuitive and easy to use. The Sampera pedal was necessary to use the loop function and was cool to use the wha effect. Acoustic guitar sounded ok through it. I was not a fan of the presets they had for acoustic-electric guitars. The electric guitar modeling was really really good. Got some great tones. Playing a bass through it was, eh. I think it would blow out the factory speaker if pushed too hard.

My VIP-2 crapped out on me and I got it replaced by GC under their extended warranty. One time it actually paid off!!!

I wouldn't rely on it to gig out night after night, but for playing around at home it's great!
Old 12-05-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I had the 30 watt 12" VIP-2. Baritone setting was very cool. Nice amp to experiment with a variety of effects. WYSIWYG interface was intuitive and easy to use. The Sampera pedal was necessary to use the loop function and was cool to use the wha effect. Acoustic guitar sounded ok through it. I was not a fan of the presets they had for acoustic-electric guitars. The electric guitar modeling was really really good. Got some great tones. Playing a bass through it was, eh. I think it would blow out the factory speaker if pushed too hard.

My VIP-2 crapped out on me and I got it replaced by GC under their extended warranty. One time it actually paid off!!!

I wouldn't rely on it to gig out night after night, but for playing around at home it's great!
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Yeah, playing around with it at home is pretty much all I'll be doing with it if we end up making the trade. My oldest grandson is learning to play, so I'll probably end up giving it to him at some point, probably sooner than later, anyway. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification