The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 08:02 PM
Runaway Tomato

When I played a J-50 (24.75 scale) I used mediums, and still do on my current long scaled guitars. Mediums sounded and played very well on the old Gibson.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 12-04-2021, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

All guitars are different. All will sound different, play different, regardless of what strings you put on them.

In my search for my tone and Feel. I have decided to use the same string on all my guitars. .011"-.052"

Fron 24.75 scale Gibson, to 24.9 scale 000, to 25.4 scale OM, to 25.5 GPC and Dread guitars.

Not only do I use these very light strings. I also have extremely low action on all my guitars.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:39 AM

I would generally stick to builder's recommendations, not only because of the warranty
but also because they would know which string tension would serve the guitar the best I guess.

But when I detune to C (say CGDGAD for example) I do put 0,013 strings on my orchestra guitars.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:21 PM

Scale length and string gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
I read in a recent post the recommendation that a short scale guitar (presumably 25" or less) should be strung with a minimum of 12's on the high E. Some have suggested 13's even, to avoid string laxity, which I assume leads to buzzing, especially if tuning down.

On the other hand, I have read that some guitar warrantees can be voided for damage caused by excess string tension, and 12's are specked as the limit. I think my Froggy Bottom H12 000 (25" scale) may have that caution.

So, my first quesion is whether heavier gauge strings are recommended for short scale guitars, not just for taste, but to offset the smaller neck and consequential loss of tension.

If so, what do you guys use on your 24" - 25" guitars, and do you take into account both all the strings, or just the high E. That seems, again, to be the lithmus test when I read about the issue. But that tells only 1/6 of the story.

Coincidently, I am off to restring my new to me Webber 00 (24.9") with Thomastik AC111 (11-50) for the first time. I have used their AC110 (10-41) on a Huss and Dalton 000 and they sounded great. But not so much on a Bourgeois Slope D (25") with a particularly stiff top.

Thanks
David
Deliberate David,

I use the Elixir PB HD Light gauge (.013 - .053) on most of my six string guitars. That includes my only short-scale guitar, the Taylor 412e-R. Taylor actually has often strung their Grand Concert (xy2) and Grand Auditorium (xy4) guitars with HD Lights when sent out for sale. Mine was strung with these and has never known a different gauge on it.

I have heard that Taylor makes their necks strong enough to support Mediums, but check with them first. Can't speak for other companies.

I used to string my large body guitars with Mediums, but found that given the body size, they don't really need the heavier bass strings to get a good bass sound and to produce one that fits in with the balance of the guitar. My walnut Taylor Jumbo is the only one I keep in Medium gauge. My Alvarez likes Light gauge.

I note that you seem to prefer to go 'light', but I like the full sound and hefty feel of those Medium gauge trebles with the HD gauge.

So that's what I use on my six string guitars. No Dreads, just Jumboes and Grand Orchestra for large body instruments, and I have lightened the bass load a bit. Also makes it easier to play for my septuagenarian hands.

So presuming that 'what do we all play' to be the second question, in answer your 'first' question of whether heavier gauge strings are suitable for short scale guitars, My answer is a resounding 'yes'. However, I can't answer for all manufacturers, just that Taylor has shipped the hybrid medium treble/light bass HD gauge with many of their smaller guitars. (They ship the heavier Mediums on their dreads, jumboes, Grand Symphonies, and Grand Orchestras. And for most of the ones I own, I lessened the gauge tension with the HD Lights. I would check in with the builders to see what each company feels about Mediums.)

Don't know what they string with on shipping, but I would not be surprised to find out Taylor ships Mediums on their Mini body guitars.

Gibson likes to ship with Light gauges for all their guitars, and I've tried a few different gauges with the jumboes, and have settled on the HD gauge as best.

If you change gauges, you may also effect your set-up, but using the 'tweener' HD gauge up or down from Lights and/or Mediums has not made me feel the need to make wholesale changes because the Tension difference is not as great.

Here's an interview with Taylor Builder Any Powers on the HD Light gauge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbTS...ature=youtu.be

Good luck on your string endeavours

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 12-04-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:37 AM

A size of strings that comes on a guitar is what it was built for as far as tone and structural safety. If the manufacturer doesn't have a maximum size recommendation try what you like, but closely monitor the guitar for problems.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:47 AM

I use what Ernie Ball calls Med-Lights 12-54 But the next set I buy will be 11-52 lights..for no reason other than I can
Unless it changes the sound I'll stick with that
I have used heavy strings on my electric's 13-56 Flat wound
I don't use 80/20's, Phosphor only on my acoustics
Old 12-05-2021, 11:15 PM

Ultimately you should listen not to us but to your guitar.

However I can offer some generalities: if you play in public you might choose thicker strings for louder sound. At home I go as light as drives the guitar tone well, which varies from one instrument to the other. If you need a bit more drive maybe buying heavier single strings for cheap will do. I am most likely to use a heavier low D string or heavier first two, which costs very little. I keep spares on hand.

Lower tension is very comfortable on the fingers and there are ways to get it other than thinner strings. Pro musiciansuse many lower tension tunings. A simple one is to simply put a capo on the second fret and tune to normal pitch. Many guitars sound and play sweeter that way.

Large guitars and laminate ones often need heavier strings to drive them. Smaller and finer guitars may be driven well with light or custom light strings, or extra light ones. Or maybe not. Again, listen to your guitar. Most of mine sound best with a certain brand and weight of strings.

But most of them also sound very well with 'light' strings of the standard brands, so that is what I mostly use. - Stevo
Old 03-27-2023, 10:20 AM

Default Figured it out

So yeah a Shorter Scale means you need heavier strings to compensate for it, where as w/ a Longer Scale Length you can switch over to lighter gauge strings to allow for easier playability w/o sacrificing the loss of volume. The longer scale length compensates for the reduced volume of lighter gauge strings by pulling them a little tighter than the shorter scale usually does. I guess that's why musicians often use heavier gauge strings than 9s on the Squire Mini Strat to get better intonation, that being said Squire Mini Strats are designed specifically for 9s because they use a special bridge which puts the strings at a really sharp angle over the saddle.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11141827 View Post
So yeah a Shorter Scale means you need heavier strings to compensate for it, where as w/ a Longer Scale Length you can switch over to lighter gauge strings to allow for easier playability w/o sacrificing the loss of volume. The longer scale length compensates for the reduced volume of lighter gauge strings by pulling them a little tighter than the shorter scale usually does. I guess that's why musicians often use heavier gauge strings than 9s on the Squire Mini Strat to get better intonation, that being said Squire Mini Strats are designed specifically for 9s because they use a special bridge which puts the strings at a really sharp angle over the saddle.
Says who? For many of us, the reduced tension on a 24.75" or 24.9" is exactly the point. I use John Pearse lights (.012 -.053) on them all, including my one standard scale guitar, unless I plan to leave one tuned down to open D or G.

OMMV
Old 03-27-2023, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Totally depends on the guitar. A friend of mine has arthritis and plays a guitar with a 24” scale length and she puts 10-46s on it and it sounds amazing. Too many variables to make one flat statement about string gauge and scale length IMHO.
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-27-2023, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Totally depends on the guitar. A friend of mine has arthritis and plays a guitar with a 24” scale length and she puts 10-46s on it and it sounds amazing. Too many variables to make one flat statement about string gauge and scale length IMHO.
Best,
Jayne

Agreed. I've been playing the heck out of my SS guitar for 3 days. It is strung with light gauge strings, AND I tune it down half a step.

Plays perfectly, sounds great.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:10 PM

As a general rule of thumb, I run 12s on all of my guitars unless there is a reason to run something else.

I have a Yamaha FG820 my wife bought me some years ago and the action especially past the 5th fret, so I put 11s on that guitar to help make it easier to play. I have a Guild F-50 and I find that guitar does benefit more from 13s than most guitars, so I use 13s on that guitar. I had a similar experience with my dad's D55 - we put 13s on that guitar and I have a new favorite rosewood dreadnaught.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:17 PM

Totally dependent on the guitar.

I run lights on 3 SS guitars. But my SS dread needs mediums to drive the top. Very thin sounding with lights.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:48 PM

My sense is that some guitars are not built to hold medium gauge or medium tension strings. The kind folks at Santa Cruz told me my PJ will not hold them. Thus, it gets low tension and I limit thinking about it to what sounds good and feels good to me. Been using the SC Parobolics on it for a couple of years. They sound good to me and they feel good. All of my other guitars get medium gauge or medium tension. My ears and fingers tell me they are the right choices for me. SC parobolics have been the main strings for a couple of years. The H13 I picked up in a trade had a brand new set of SUS mediums on it when I got it. Favorite string of the previous owner. They were nice and I will be getting some now that I am running a little low on strings. Picked up a couple of sets of Thomastick Infield Viennas here on the forum and they have been a wonderful match for my short scale 12 fretter. Don’t have a long scale, 14 fret guitar.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 11-22-2023, 07:25 AM

Default Figured it out

I use 7s on my acoustic guitar because I've shaved the braces down to only 3/32 of an inch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion