The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-27-2021, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Default New Grestch 2210 and some quick mods

I did buy this guitar… and you get quite a bit for under $300.

The only thing that needed work is some fret polishing, but I also changed the tuners to a set of Grovers that I couldn’t seemed to sell here! Win! I also got a StewMac Golden Age low profile wraparound tune-o-matic bridge.

It took me a while but the guitar has new tuners, a new bridge, has been intonated, and has the action lowered. It plays great.

The only thing I didn’t have the stomach to do is remove the existing bridge posts and bushing; I was afraid I’d mess up. So the new bridge is fitted into the existing posts… if you can offer me suggestions on how to do that last bit, I’d really appreciate it! The Golden Age bridge and posts/bushings really are better quality. I’d rather not mix the good bridge with the old posts…
Old 11-27-2021, 10:21 AM

I wouldn't try to change the posts unless forced to - if/since they are pressed into the wood, you'd both damage the wood getting them out, have to hope that the new ones can press back in solidly (probably not but maybe) or plan to put inserts in and redrill new holes, which would probably show. Bridge posts are not really mission critical pieces as far, if they don't fall out and they are in the right place and the bridge fits, probably good to go. I like the guitar, it's very nice. I had a 1962 Melody Maker that I refinished in that kind of mahogany, I liked it a lot. Oddly I traded it for a 1962 Gretsch Anniversary G-6124
Old 11-27-2021, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Brian, that’s music to my ears. Especially knowing how prone I am to CGUs (catastrophic guitar upgrades).
Old 11-27-2021, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Looks really good, and seems like a heckuva bargain at that price. Did the tuners drop right in without drilling any new holes?
Old 11-27-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
...I had a 1962 Melody Maker that I refinished in that kind of mahogany. I liked it a lot. Oddly I traded it for a 1962 Gretsch Anniversary G-6124
Not odd at all - I still have the 6117 Double Annie I bought brand-new in 1964; BTW if you replace the Space Control with a standard compensated archtop bridge and set it up with 12's/13's, those single pickup Anniversary models (especially the '58-60 with the PAF Filter'tron) can make nice little jazz guitars - the slimmed-depth 16" body is comfortable to hold, there's no tone-robbing gear attached to any critical vibrating point, the 24-1/2" scale is easy to negotiate, and the ultra-thin body woods add air and resonance (a Brooklyn Gretsch trademark regardless of model). In retrospect, a package that was about 50 years ahead of its time - seems like several current makers have adopted a similar formula for their laminated jazzboxes in preference to the heavier (physically and sonically) format established by the postwar ES-175/Epiphone Zephyr Regent...
Old 11-27-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Looks really good, and seems like a heckuva bargain at that price. Did the tuners drop right in without drilling any new holes?
Straight drop in. Perfect. They come with cheap knock off similar style tuners… these are beefier and the real deal, but again a straight drop in.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Sweet looking Gretsch Sal. Nice stain and love those thumb nail fret markers

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 12-06-2021, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks joe… nice little cheap guitar for sure.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:30 PM

Nice guitar, congrats! I've never owned a Gretsch, but I liked the ones that I've played. Enjoy!
Old 12-09-2021, 03:01 AM
Charter Member

So, I do think it needs the toggle switch changed. This one sorts of engages or not depending on its mood, and doesn’t know it’s a tool! This is the next thing I have to research as a DIY. This is fun!

Also a week ago I polished all the frets with these mesh 2by2 mesh pads. I never realized what a difference this makes to playability…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFFCD38E-A32C-4A4D-A3CB-0D9ED6F30A3A.jpg (54.3 KB, 24 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars