The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-15-2021, 11:47 PM

Default AER Domino 2 vs Domino2.a

Hello, acoustic guitar forum,

Here is my question which I couldn't get answered for many years. Is there a noticeable difference between AER Domino 2.a vs Domino2? ...not the specs difference, but the sound quality difference? It would be nice to hear from someone who has experience with both of those.

For some reason, I couldn't find any review where those two models were not only compared but just mentioned! If I missed something, please give me the link.
So my question again: is there any significant difference/improvement since they add tweeter to the 2.a model?

I actually have heard some rumors, which is not confirmed:
AER could not continue to ( or decided not to, because of the higher price) get the same speakers which they used to use for Domino 2 model. They found another speaker's model, which was not sounding good enough, so they decided to add the tweeter to compensate for the loss in the high frequency. Hence, they developed Domino 2.a. According to that source, Domino 2 has a much better quality of the speakers inside, so it's a much more successful model.
Once again, I can't 100% trust this source, I believe it's a rumor only, but who knows?

If you have any information, or if you had a chance to own both amps, or just have any experience with both, please tell us about your impressions.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:58 AM

Hello again! It is a shame that there is no response…
Old 12-02-2021, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

It is within the realm of possibility that nobody reading this sub-forum has experience with these two guitar amps. I have the AER 60/3 as do some others around here, but that is not a Domino.

Tony
Old 12-05-2021, 04:02 AM

I owned a Domino 3 for a while. Great sounding amp that has the same coaxial speakers as the Domino 2 and the Compact 60.

I’m not sure why they opted to go with a tweeter on the 2.A, I haven’t tried one but did own a Compact XL for a little while which I didn’t particularly enjoy, and sent back. I found the crossover point between the non-coaxial driver and the tweeter to be the source of some sonic weirdness which, whilst not particularly troublesome for guitar, made vocals a bit unpleasant and harsh.

By contrast, all the AER amps that I’ve used with coaxial speakers and no tweeter (my main amp is a Compact 60/4 and my spare and Alpha Plus) have sounded superb for guitar and my vocals-I’m a light tenor and sing through an AKG D7.

You may want to investigate the all-new Compact 80 Pro, which is a four channel amp from AER with a coaxial speaker and 80w, only 20w less than a Domino which is barely noticeable in real-world terms. My C60 is capable of volumes way in excess of anything I’ve required in my ownership of it, so the C80Pro will be plenty powerful enough for most tasks!

The C80Pro comes in at a similar price to the Domino 2/2.A and looks superb.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
aer, domino