The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2021, 06:52 PM

Default Synth Pedal for Aoustic

Looking for a reasonably priced synth pedal to add pad fills for a thicker solo acoustic sound. Looking at just the Electro Harmonix; B9, C9, KEY9, MEL9 & MORE... Just a little overwhelming.

Anyone have experience with any of these or an other at an intro level.. a fairly simple learning curve and decent sound?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:05 AM

The simple way to emulate pad ...., it is a reverb with the Shimmer,
Several reverb pedal offers this posibility.

I use GFi System Specular Tempus, for Reverb, shimmer, delay....
Old 11-21-2021, 07:31 AM

You could also look at the BOSS Synth2 and the new Synth 200 from BOSS. I have a GK3 pickup with a BOSS Synth but the new BOSS gear eliminates the step of converting the string signal to MIDI to trigger the synth. I played with the Synth2 for a while yesterday at a local shop and it would work. Currently I use a Elecro Harmonix Reverb with shimmer to get those sounds and even an organ sound.
Have fun
davidc
Old 12-02-2021, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the reply... I'll check it out.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:00 PM

That's a nice rig - little more than I want to spend.
Thank you though
Old 01-07-2022, 07:13 AM

I have - like you - tried the EHX C9 and Mel9 for exactly this purpose, bringing a little extra background, stringer like effect into the equation. White pretty interesting, I do find that it quickly becomes a little “gimmicky’, for lack of a better word. I think the ‘Pad’ setting on the MXR M300 reverb is more subdued and tasteful, so that is what I would recommend - although this is in many ways also a more limited option. To me, however, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Do let u’s know what you arrive at - this is also an area of great interest to me!
Old 01-07-2022, 10:29 AM

I use both C9 and MEL9 , with a very slow attack.
I think MEL9 is enough, expecially for strings, flute, orchestra.
If you want more, split the signal from MEL9: dry goes to the usual path, wet goes to a reverb set to KILL DRY and then to the mixer, best through a volume pedal.
You kick in the strings-orchestra-flutes with the volume pedal, what you get is very similar to synth GR55, and no need to use a midi pickup.

I use this approach when playing alone, the volume pedal is great to control the amount of strings-orchestra following in the background.
You can listen to what I mean in one recording, like this one on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vggf9-Gw-I0 which is taken live from the mixer (reverb is a bigsky but NO shimmer ever). At 00:28 there is a wide orchestra growing up from nowhere, that's the volume pedal.
Hope this is what you are looking for.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:42 AM

If you go the EHX route, try a compressor first in the chain. It helps a bit with tracking. I had the B9 and was pretty blown away by what it could do, but was it ever hard to make work in a live setting. I have heard that the C9 and Mel9 were improvements, but I just found that the slightest change in touch would set the thing off.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:01 AM

fortunately lot of possibilities today...
EHX pedals are nice, after some adjusting I have similar results with TC Subnup
EHX Freeze (or other freeze pedals/effects) is another interesting way
or pads for Helix https://worshiptutorials.com/product...6-helix-patch/

PS: magnetic pickups work better with effects usually
Old 03-13-2022, 08:21 AM

Just a small update in case anyone is still interessed in this. In my search for a background synth/pad like texture for my acoustic guitar I came across the Neunaber Seraphim (Mono). This is basically Neunaber’s Wet Reverb with an added shimmer effect - and i have to say that this just sounds amazing - both the reverb and the shimmer - all the way from ‘just a touch’ to more immersive and ambient textures (for my use ‘just a touch’ is more what I am after). Fantastic sound quality without digital artifacts and very musical - highly recommended, although a bit on the pricier side. This exact pedal - Seraphim Mono - is now discontinued, but i was able to pick up a new one from an online store, otherwise you would probably be looking at Neunaber’s Immerse Mk2 or one of their other Wet based offerings - I am not totally up to date on their current product line.
Old 03-18-2022, 01:34 AM

Boss SY1 works great for me.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:24 AM

TC Electronic’s Infinite Sample Sustainer also looks ideal for this

EHX also have the superego+

CBA Mood can do quirky rhythmic pads, but is a different kettle of fish

YouTube: "Bluegum Counterpoint"
https://youtube.com/channel/UCbPhfbyWD5qNUT8ehnkoNlg
Old 03-20-2022, 11:18 PM

Not a “synth” but the EHX Pitchfok gives pitches up and down and gets into metallic organ territory. I’ve used that or the Micro Pog with bass to do pad sounds. The Source Audio C4 is more true synth pedal and can give some cool noises. With any of these, I find delay and some modulation (Keely Dark Side has been on the board the longest) help sea, the deal.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 03-22-2022, 12:06 PM

I use a Strymon Big Sky for this. It's the one pedal that I can't do without! As Vmstephane said before, the GFI System Specular Reverb or Specular Tempus sound fantastic too.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
electo harmonix, synth pedal, synthesizer