The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-16-2021, 06:36 PM

Default clothing question

I ve' been looking for decent Tee shirts for a while , also painter pants like I used to wear back in the early 70's. I bought some Tee shirts from Kohl's and I hate them. The Carhart Tees all hang down around my knees! Who makes some good quality Tee shirts? Also those Painters pants that I loved way back when....PS I am not a golf Tee shirt guy .Thanks.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Eyesore, I'm in the same boat. I'm quite picky about the fit and feel of tee shirts and it's getting very hard to find any that I like. My problem is most are too thick or heavy and I get hot easily. I don't like tight fitting either and usually wear XL but recently, most XL I find are shorter than my older shirts. Hanes has been favorable to me for a while but the most recent ones seem to have changed in the shoulder area and don't fit right. Ugh
Old 10-16-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
Eyesore, I'm in the same boat. I'm quite picky about the fit and feel of tee shirts and it's getting very hard to find any that I like. My problem is most are too thick or heavy and I get hot easily. I don't like tight fitting either and usually wear XL but recently, most XL I find are shorter than my older shirts. Hanes has been favorable to me for a while but the most recent ones seem to have changed in the shoulder area and don't fit right. Ugh
Hey thanks! I guess we're both in the same boat. I literally have two Tee s that are my "go to " shirts[and they are very old].. I feel like they all fit too tight!Why doesn't anyone make baggy chlothes anymore? They seem to be designed for all the young skinny guys.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

The beef I have is not being able to buy traditionally made cotton clothes anymore. I've got wool suits, blended slacks and dressier stuff like that. But my day to day needs are really quite simple - cotton shorts, cotton jeans and cotton T-shirts. Instead, all I can find to buy is that thin stretchy "comfort" stuff.

Would appreciate any shared leads to some plain old cotton clothes.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:44 PM

I like the T-shirts from Eddie Bauer. The blue and green colors are 100% cotton.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:32 AM

https://www.duluthtrading.com/men/shirts/t-shirts/

You're welcome.

I've been wearing them for years...
Old 10-17-2021, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I have some deluth tees and they fit great, feel great and look good too. Only problem with the ones I have is that they are heavy weight so I have designated them as my cool weather pj tops. LOL I will have to visit the Deluth brand and see if there are some light weight stuff.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:08 AM

For quality and fit I tend towards brands that aim at outdoor and endurance sports. Quality of materials is not the problem that fit is. Some of us have not become waddling apples and pears with legs with age so shopping can be frustrating!

Patagonia still has good fit for the stuff geared for sports. Kuhl and Mountain Khakis have trim fit pants and shirts for people who didn't join the obesity epidemic.

Some traditional brands known for quality still have it but I suppose to stay in business have had to adjust to all the modern obese. For work, dress and work casual Lands' End is good. You can get some pants and shirts categorized as trim or tailored.

This whole clothing matter bothers me. Hard to finding decent stuff that fits or only able to wear premium brands because you didn't join the millions or billions of lazy and undisciplined?
Old 10-17-2021, 07:42 AM

Kohl's has definitely gotten cheap in the t-shirt lines. I get by with Carhartt tees but prefer Henley 3 button shirts to adjust for temperatures. Short sleeve in summer and long sleeve in winter. I get tall sizes when I want to tuck shirts in for winter and regular sizes for warm weather.
Some other quality brands I've bought are LL Bean and Eddie Bauer. They both lasted a long time and had a good fit for me. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:47 AM

+1 for Duluth Trading Company tees and underwear. They have the long-tail tees that dont pull out, and their sizing is more true to size for those of us with non-athletic bods (a large is a large). Dickies makes the traditional painters pants, and I see them in . . . paint stores. Also in some hardware/farm supply places like Menards, Tractor Supply Co, and other places that serve workers, not fashionable people.

For awhile I was getting pop-up ads on Facebook for a company that was marketing tees for men that were a bit tighter in the shoulders & arms, but more loose around the waist, giving a more flattering look to men's shapes. Maybe some creative googling would turn that company up.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:51 AM

When T-shirts were my main shirts I always wore Hanes, with a pocket-
For pants, I've worn Wrangler slim fit jeans for so long I can't remember not wearing them.

I still wear the Wranglers, the longer I wear/own them, the more comfortable they are- I have 3 or 4 brand new ones I bought several years ago that I had pressed and starched to get the crease in them that I've never worn

I had a stomach episode the week after Thanksgivng, last year, I've lost weight and my 31/34 Wranglers are now too big and I have to wear a belt - the only shirts I wear are light weight, long sleeves, pearl snap, except for one, really old walmart Faded Glory shirt that has holes on the back where my cat (Davey Crockett) has shown me how much he likes being on my shoulder and is the most comfortable shirt I own.

Long tails don't bother me- my shirts don't get tucked in anyway-
Old 10-17-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
I have some deluth tees and they fit great, feel great and look good too. Only problem with the ones I have is that they are heavy weight so I have designated them as my cool weather pj tops. LOL I will have to visit the Deluth brand and see if there are some light weight stuff.
They do!

In fact, about a month ago, they were running a sale on the lightweight ones because they were shipped the heavier ones. They were a whopping nine bucks a piece!

I really do prefer the heavier ones, though...
Old 10-17-2021, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

My gripe is allot of companies change their products, often. If I find jeans or shirts that I like and buy the same thing a couple of months later the material and cut are completely differnt.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-17-2021, 09:14 AM

I wear nothing but Levi’s 505’s—all cotton, no stretch….for t-shirts, I like the woodcut design from Bass Pro….
Old 10-17-2021, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Most of my t-shirts I've picked up at concerts or while I'm out traveling. Pretty much there are cotton. My favorites are the Bob Dylan concert tee, the blue water deep hunter I picked up in San Bernardino, and my Route 66 Arizona.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic