The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-05-2021, 09:10 AM

Default Emerald with HyVibe System?

Does anyone have experience with an Emerald guitar featuring the HyVibe system? I’m interested mostly in the X20.

If so, how is the amplified sound compared to other pickup options?

Is the looping feature actually useful acoustically, or is there a substantial drop in volume / sound quality between playing and looping (which is what I thought I heard in one of the demos)?

Any other thoughts welcome about the HyVibe in gemeral or how it works on an Emerald.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by velaramon View Post
...Is the looping feature actually useful acoustically, or is there a substantial drop in volume / sound quality between playing and looping (which is what I thought I heard in one of the demos)?...
I know you asked about Emeralds, but if its of use, I had a HyVibe installed on an Eastman OM. I found the looper useful. In fact, there were times I had to turn the volume of the looper down.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any other thoughts welcome about the HyVibe in gemeral...
Welcome to the AGF, velaramon. Good luck with your Emerald process.

Please note that general discussion of HyVibe usually goes in our Acoustic Amp section. It's fine to discuss anything about carbon fiber or composite guitars here. If your questions are more general, please take them to the correct section. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Welcome to the AGF, velaramon. Good luck with your Emerald process.

Please note that general discussion of HyVibe usually goes in our Acoustic Amp section. It's fine to discuss anything about carbon fiber or composite guitars here. If your questions are more general, please take them to the correct section. Thank you.
Thanks for letting me know. I asked here because Emerald offer the HyVibe on their online 3D design feature, so thought maybe someone here had ordered it; also, since the system works by using the guitar’s soundboard, I wonder how it works on CF guitars and especially on Emeralds.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know. I asked here because Emerald offer the HyVibe on their online 3D design feature, so thought maybe someone here had ordered it; also, since the system works by using the guitar’s soundboard, I wonder how it works on CF guitars and especially on Emeralds.
Absolutely and this is the place for the Emerald discussion. Just wanted you to know about the Acoustic Amp section if you need more help about HV that is not related to CF guitars.

Enjoy the AGF!
Old 12-05-2021, 07:43 PM

Default Emerald X20 with Hyvibe system

Hello, I ordered the first guitar from Emerald with a Hyvibe system. It is an X20. To answer your questions. The looper does not lose volume when in use. At least, to my ear. The amplified sound is fantastic, through the Hyvibe system. I am constantly blown away by the sound and features of this guitar. Also, the system is upgradable via your phone through the Hyvibe app. Since my purchase of my X20, there has been 1 update in the last couple of months. The way the system works is through the top of the guitar. That is where the system is attached. I hope this is helpful.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:52 PM

Hello,

Any idea if the HyVibe have any negative influence to the original sound of guitar, since it is attached to the top. The top is usualy most important part and needs to be free to be able to vibrate fully. Some systems do have negative impact to the tone. I didn't found any infos about HyVibe about it.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2021, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander1356 View Post
...Any idea if the HyVibe have any negative influence to the original sound of guitar...
Best way to tell would be to have the guitar before doing the install so you could listen before and after. Obviously wouldn't be able to do that if you order an Emerald with the HyVibe installed. I was able to do that with the Eastman I had one installed in and I couldn't tell any difference before/after.

I've heard there is less guitar-to-guitar variation with CF than wood. So you could get a good idea by playing two Emeralds side by side, one with the HyVibe installed. Maybe Emerald has done that. An email to them might get you an answer.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander1356 View Post
Hello,

Any idea if the HyVibe have any negative influence to the original sound of guitar, since it is attached to the top. The top is usualy most important part and needs to be free to be able to vibrate fully. Some systems do have negative impact to the tone. I didn't found any infos about HyVibe about it.

Thanks
My thought about that was that if Emerald are offering the system, they must believe that it doesn't interfere too much with the guitar's design. I'd be more concerned about putting one on my Linda Manzer guitar (yeah right... :-), since presumably she designed / built the thing w/o thinking that I'd attach "exciters" to the top. But if she approved and did the install, why not?

What I'm not convinced of is the sound quality of the effects and especially the looper. The demos I keep seeing don't exactly shine in that regard. I notice especially a very pronounced drop in high frequencies between strumming and looping. Of course, one might retort that I'm a pedant for splitting hairs about sound quality when someone builds a guitar that loops itself, talks to the phone, and plays background music if necessary.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:00 PM

Default X30-12 with Hyvibe

Got my custom Emerald the beginning of Feb. I can hardly put it down! Any issues about tone can be cured with the programmable EQ you can add to each effect. So many options! And such a stunning instrument! Can’t say enough about this beauty! This after playing an Ovation Adamas for 20 years. I think the onboard effects are as good as running a dry signal through Logic! And much simpler without having to have a DAW! Just mic the guitar and your good!

Barry
Old 04-15-2022, 10:18 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I’ve wondered the same thing about the HyVibe, and also, any thoughts about the quality of the HyVibe when running it through a PA or acoustic amp?
Old 04-16-2022, 12:35 PM

From the few videos I've watched on the HyVibe, the tonal quality may best be implemented on a Kestral archtop.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 04-16-2022, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
From the few videos I've watched on the HyVibe, the tonal quality may best be implemented on a Kestral archtop.
The HyVibe doesn't seem to be available on the Kestrel - or any of the slimline models, for that matter.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
emerald, hyvibe