The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I've got a Tacoma DM-18 (dreadnaught) with the famous Tacoma peeling gloss finish. All the finish is gone from the sides, most is gone from the back, and part of the front is gone. It could hang on the wall of a music store with a $99 price tag on it, and nobody would ever even pull it off the wall.

But it still sounds and plays great, and I don't ever intend to sell it.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:02 PM

I'm sure the guitars might say something similar about me.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:48 PM

I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to both design and condition - I won't have anything visually/structurally radical nor looking like it just went through Fat Louie's Self-Serve Car Wash, and there are enough brand-new and properly-maintained, fine-sounding used mainstream instruments out there that I don't have to settle for less...
Old 12-05-2021, 03:03 PM

I advise people to look at themselves in the mirror holding a guitar before you buy it. Sometimes, whether its ugly or not, it just doesn't look right.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:10 PM

I was about to pass this thread over since I actually do, apparently even unconsciously, consider looks in all the guitars I own, since they range from handsome to pretty spectacular in looks.

But then I remembered the details of the guitar I just purchased--a Collings koa SJ. It is a 2012 model, and it is pristine: owned by a collector I was told who just never played it. And there's not a mark on it--not even any sign of play on the pick guard.

But in 2012 the koa models came with gold Schaller tuners; and every time I play the guitar I both am thrilled with the tone--which is spectacular--and I wince at the gold tuners. And I know I can swap them out, but I find I can't. I just want to keep it exactly as it was when it was built and sold in 2012.

So this guitar fits pretty well the description of "heavenly to play, hideous to look at." Good lord, it is heavenly to play and hear; and I know the gold tuners are not for most folks hideous to look at, and are preferable for many other folks--but they just look wrong to me: and I'm still in the phase of trying not to look at them.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I thought I had a qualifying guitar but after reading through some posts realize it doesn’t fit the bill.

And in fact I’m in the so-shallow-(or boring traditional)-I-don’t-bother camp.

Sorry to bash on Breedlove, but that’s a brand so visually unappealing to me I have no idea if they’re heavenly to play. They couldn’t possibly out-heaven a thousand other lovely Martin or Gibson-based available guitars.

On reflection, my hideous guitar is just homely. Behind a plain, white, no-toner or VTS Adirondack top is a lovely Martin at the upper end of their spectrum. And it will get a tan over the years. I even like that I’m not in love with the looks because some honest play wear doesn’t worry me.

I think I’m even worse with electrics. Fender came up with iconic headstock shapes and I’m frequently turned off the possibility of owning a guitar if headstock ugliness exceeds a certain threshold.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

There are an awful lot of high end builders with ugly headstocks and overall aesthetics that just are not there, none of which shall be named.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
There are an awful lot of high end builders with ugly headstocks and overall aesthetics that just are not there, none of which shall be named.
I am a headstock and rosette snob. I don't understand the allure of a big-*** wooden rosette. And some of the headstocks and company logos? Yikes!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion