The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-02-2019, 05:00 PM

JPD wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Citizens Bank Park has a capacity of 43,651 for Phillies games. How can they sell over 100,000 season tickets(unless they sold regular game tickets ? Me thinks this is some propaganda to justify Harpers signing amount !
GK replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKFromPA View Post
Yes, it's cumulative multiple game tickets...the same seat sold for 3 games is 3 tickets sold and so on for 100 thousand sold.
Yep, I interpreted as single game tickets. So, someone purchasing season tickets would count for 81 tickets.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I didn't know Trout is from that general area. I hope if he goes anywhere it will be with the Phillies. I'm scared the Yankees will pick him up.
Harper and Trout came up together in the Fall Leagues. I like the sound of this:

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harpe...t-philadelphia

-Ray
Old 03-03-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Harper and Trout came up together in the Fall Leagues. I like the sound of this:

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harpe...t-philadelphia

-Ray
We'll see if the Phillies want to pay out another mega contract later.

Must be tough for the Nationals to lose Harper to a division rival.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
We'll see if the Phillies want to pay out another mega contract later.

Must be tough for the Nationals to lose Harper to a division rival.
Kind of interesting to hear Harper talk about why he wanted a longer deal at relatively low $25-26 million per year (evidently the Dodgers were offering 4 years at something like $45 million per year) and insisted on no opt out. He figured making it clear he was gonna be ther for the long term would help him recruit other free agents to come and the low annual $$$ would leave room to spend on other guys. Trout still sounds like a heavy lift, but I bet they make a serious run at him. Too bad Richard Brautigan isn’t still around to write “Trout Fiahing in Philly”, the sequel to to “Trout Fishing in America”...

People in Philly are calling this the ultimate payback for losing Jayson Werth to the Nats back when the Phillies were still pretty great. This is bigger than that - Werth was a key piece and a tough out, but with Rollins, Utley, & Howard on that team and the “four aces” in 2011, he was never THE guy like Harper is...

-Ray
Old 03-03-2019, 06:44 AM

"Buying a World Series" is not new thought, it didn't work out for Detroit (Cabrera, Price, Scherzer, Porcello, Verlander even the GM, Dobrowski) but Boston/Houston picked up the pieces and were successful. Who cares? The "games" start later this month!

As Detroit learned, if you don't make it, the contract is there for a loooooong time!

Fog
Old 03-03-2019, 08:09 AM

Default Best games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
"Buying a World Series" is not new thought, it didn't work out for Detroit (Cabrera, Price, Scherzer, Porcello, Verlander

As Detroit learned, if you don't make it, the contract is there for a loooooong time!

Fog

Bring back 1968
Old 03-03-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Kind of interesting to hear Harper talk about why he wanted a longer deal at relatively low $25-26 million per year (evidently the Dodgers were offering 4 years at something like $45 million per year) and insisted on no opt out. He figured making it clear he was gonna be ther for the long term would help him recruit other free agents to come and the low annual $$$ would leave room to spend on other guys. Trout still sounds like a heavy lift, but I bet they make a serious run at him. Too bad Richard Brautigan isn’t still around to write “Trout Fiahing in Philly”, the sequel to to “Trout Fishing in America”...

People in Philly are calling this the ultimate payback for losing Jayson Werth to the Nats back when the Phillies were still pretty great. This is bigger than that - Werth was a key piece and a tough out, but with Rollins, Utley, & Howard on that team and the “four aces” in 2011, he was never THE guy like Harper is...

-Ray
I heard that Harper said he wanted less money and no opt out so he could recruit. I don't buy that at all but that's just my opinion (which could very well be wrong).
Old 03-03-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I heard that Harper said he wanted less money and no opt out so he could recruit. I don't buy that at all but that's just my opinion (which could very well be wrong).
I’m always dubious, but he probably would have made more money long term taking that Dodgers deal for 4 years at $45 per year. He be a free agent again at age 30 and would have already made $180 million, so it’s pretty tough to imagine he couldn’t make at least another $150-200 million on his next deal and surpass the $$ he’s getting from this one. Sounds like his wife didn’t want to be moving around and doing this free agent dance again and maybe he didn’t either - I don’t know. I can see being satisfied with $330 million and wanting to focus on winning. Plus, there isn’t a ballpark in baseball better suited to him. If he stays good, he should be able to put up HOF numbers here...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 03-03-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:32 AM

New ticket count is up to 180,000+.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:14 AM

Mike Trout is finalizing staying with the Angels for $430M! Wonder what Harper is thinking after he tried to recruit Trout for Philly? Also wonder if Harper thinks he's now underpaid?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:44 PM

Grew up with baseball and love baseball but it seems its all gone crazy. Can anyone afford tickets anymore? Is anyone really worth $2220,000 a game?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mike Trout is finalizing staying with the Angels for $430M! Wonder what Harper is thinking after he tried to recruit Trout for Philly? Also wonder if Harper thinks he's now underpaid?
As a Phillies fan, I’m mildly bummed. But I’d bet Harper is feeling like he did an old friend a small favor. Saying what he said probably didn’t make much difference but it didn’t make the Angels any LESS motivated to lock Trout in at the earliest convenience. I’m sure he’d love to have had him come to Philly, but I’m sure he's also glad (on behalf of other players - shouldn’t matter to him anymore) that the market for player salaries just got that much higher!

-Ray
Old 03-25-2019, 02:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Grew up with baseball and love baseball but it seems its all gone crazy. Can anyone afford tickets anymore? Is anyone really worth $2220,000 a game?
Evidently people can still afford tickets. Winning teams still ell out regularly and tickets are less than the NFL and NBA. We don’t go very often, but we still manage to go to a few games per year. And this year, it’ll be harder to get tickets because the excitement about the team will be that much higher. I get your point but the market says you’re wrong. The owners are still making massive money - why shouldn’t the players? And of all the things that have gone crazy in recent years, I find sports salaries to be the least of it.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
As a Phillies fan, I’m mildly bummed. But I’d bet Harper is feeling like he did an old friend a small favor. Saying what he said probably didn’t make much difference but it didn’t make the Angels any LESS motivated to lock Trout in at the earliest convenience. I’m sure he’d love to have had him come to Philly, but I’m sure he's also glad (on behalf of other players - shouldn’t matter to him anymore) that the market for player salaries just got that much higher!

-Ray
Hey Ray, never thought of it like that but perhaps you are correct - Harper trying to recruit Trout may have pushed up the Angels' urgency to sign him now. I don't think that was Harper's motive though.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Ray, never thought of it like that but perhaps you are correct - Harper trying to recruit Trout may have pushed up the Angels' urgency to sign him now. I don't think that was Harper's motive though.
Actually, they're old friends - played Fall League ball in the same outfield when they were first coming up. I'm sure Harper would have loved to have Trout in the same outfield again, but I'm sure he also knew that if the Angels reacted and extended him - they'd tried to do it last year but he didn't go for it - he'd still be doing his old friend a solid. It was kind of a win win for Harper. Best case, he gets Trout in the same outfield, worst case, he does an old friend a favor. MLB pretended to scold him for tampering, but what were they gonna do? Maybe Trout'll buy him dinner, now that HE'S the one with the big money!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic