The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Thanks everyone. Going to take them to a repair shop tomorrow for analysis. They are very deep and rich sounding speakers. I’ll keep you posted.
Good for you. I was going to say have them re-foamed and keep'em going!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 AM

Some people have suggested replacing the damaged woofers with another brand but since enclosures are designed for specific speaker characteristics, it would be a coincidence if they worked properly.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:50 PM

Just dropped them off at Stereo Lab. He said these are fantastic speakers. Would not replace. They are going to do the foam.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:04 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I have a pair of ADS L810 speakers paired with a Yamaha CR1000 receiver (100w rms/ch) that I bought new in ‘76 after auditioning many component configurations. All was considered quite good quality back then. I’ve had the system in storage in my basement (quite a dry environment, especially during winters) for many years and have recently thought to set it up again.

A cursory look at the speakers seems that they’re fine, but after reading this thread, it’s probably best if I have the system looked at by a good audio tech. That said, is anyone familiar with these components to have an opinion if I should bother with that, or would they now be considered quite inferior compared to modern systems and should be replaced? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Just dropped them off at Stereo Lab. He said these are fantastic speakers. Would not replace. They are going to do the foam.
Well, that’s good news, horse. Hope it works out!
Old 02-25-2019, 01:09 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I have a pair of ADS L810 speakers paired with a Yamaha CR1000 receiver (100w rms/ch) that I bought new in ‘76 after auditioning many component configurations. All was considered quite good quality back then. I’ve had the system in storage in my basement (quite a dry environment, especially during winters) for many years and have recently thought to set it up again.

A cursory look at the speakers seems that they’re fine, but after reading this thread, it’s probably best if I have the system looked at by a good audio tech. That said, is anyone familiar with these components to have an opinion if I should bother with that, or would they now be considered quite inferior compared to modern systems and should be replaced? Thanks!
Hook them up and play them. Check the woofer foam first, but other than that you can't really do any damage. The ADS are DEFINITELY worth re-foaming when they need it!

Old 02-26-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post

We all have our opinions and mine is that ADS speakers are especially worthy of repair.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That is great! I'm so glad you can renew these great old speakers! Good for you!

- Glenn
Old 02-26-2019, 09:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Hook them up and play them. Check the woofer foam first, but other than that you can't really do any damage. The ADS are DEFINITELY worth re-foaming when they need it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
We all have our opinions and mine is that ADS speakers are especially worthy of repair.
Thanks guys. That’s what I’ll do!
Old 04-01-2019, 07:33 PM

Hey guys, an update. Got my Cerwin Vega D3 stereo speakers back a few weeks ago. The guy at Stereo Lab told me these vintage speakers a great. Full, deep, and rich sounding.

My wife refinished them in distressed white to match our living room. Hooked them up tonight........OMG.......GLORIOUS rich sound! We have a 2 story living room and the sound just swirled everywhere. My wife was floored with the tone. IMG_5701.jpgIMG_5700.jpg
Old 04-02-2019, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

What a great pair of pictures! And congrats on the refoamed speakers! I love a good hi-fi system. I have one in my studio connected to our TV, I have two in our house, one in our piano room and one in our living room. They all get used every day. These are all older systems that I put together for little cost.

Folks mentioned ADS systems further above. My dad had a pair of ADS speakers and they were excellent. The woofers on these were refoamed, I think about 15 years ago, and they sounded great! I think my older bother inherited those speakers, so they are still working today.

- Glenn
Old 04-02-2019, 09:24 AM
Musical minimalist

Probably not practical for you, but if you want them to sounds LOADS better....move them out a foot from the wall and a foot away from the cabinet and buy or build something to get them up in the air more (at least a foot) Speakers need "air" around them, and if you can get the tweeter closer to your ear level when you are listening, the whole listening experience will be much better.

I know that things have to fit the decor though

Old 04-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Funny, but I had bought some Cerwin Vega speakers in the '80's and they were absolutely super! I have since gotten rid of them at garage sale, downsizing etc. But I will never forget the quality of the cabinets and the really great sound. Good luck on your repairs! OOPS, I just now read that you have them back, great!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Probably not practical for you, but if you want them to sounds LOADS better....move them out a foot from the wall and a foot away from the cabinet and buy or build something to get them up in the air more (at least a foot) Speakers need "air" around them, and if you can get the tweeter closer to your ear level when you are listening, the whole listening experience will be much better.

I know that things have to fit the decor though
I was thinking the same as Fitness when I was looking at your pictures. The speakers look great in the room. The potential for a huge improvement is sound is there with better placement. The right speaker stuffed into the corner with the chair is particularly compromised.

I do understand that SWMBO is a factor though.

Enjoy!

Brad
Old 04-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Yes, raising them off the floor, even 6 inches will provide a much clearer, less boomy bass. Try it, see if it helps.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic