The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-23-2019, 11:11 AM

Default Hip Replacement Anyone?

I'm having my right hip replaced on March 14... Osteo-arthritis.
Anybody have that done? How long before you could walk without a walker or a cane?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-23-2019, 01:24 PM

I had two knee replacements in 2016 that were very successful. The process is painful but worth it. My understanding is that hips are easier than knees. I've heard about people being back at work in two weeks. Be sure to do your pre-hab and rehab exercises. FWIW we have a world class joint replacement center here in Boise, but that probably doesn't help you. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2019, 02:27 PM

Good luck with the surgery Rokdog. Hope all goes well.

According to the Urban dictionary, March 14 isn't the best day to have surgery.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:18 PM

My mom had a total hip done many years ago. My only suggestion is (if you can) build up your upper body strength. Think of being able to hold yourself up off a commode or pulling yourself (use an old bed sheet tied to the headboard as a 'rope') into the bed.

Best of luck!
Old 02-23-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Not yet, Rok, but I think it's right around the corner for me. I wish you the best of luck and I'd love to hear about your results.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Not yet, Rok, but I think it's right around the corner for me. I wish you the best of luck and I'd love to hear about your results.
I'll keep updating as things go from surgery to post-surgery, rehab etc.
Thanks for the good wishes!

BTW Tenzin, I've been going to the YMCA since I retired two years ago and I train with machines and free-weights, mostly upper body, so...no problem.
I've been working on my legs a little pre-surgery lately too. My surgeon recommended it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-23-2019, 11:54 PM
Get off my lawn kid

My co-worker had both hips done, but years apart. Last year she had one done and she was out maybe 3-4 weeks. Much faster than the first time. She said they have really improved the techniques.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-24-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

My mother had hers done at the age of 89. She never made it out of the hospital. Don't take these things lightly.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-24-2019, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Anybody have that done? How long before you could walk without a walker or a cane?
You know what this means - you are moving from e Hip-Hop generation to the Hip-Op generation.

Seriously, I wish you all the best.

I think that we are the most fortunate generation yet medically. I was saved from septicemia in the '50s with a relatively new drug called penicillin, I was saved from peritonitis in the '60s, sarciodosis in the '80s, pneumonia in the '90s, heart failure in a 00s and cancer in the '10s.

I'm typing with my right hand bandaged after a hand op on Friday, which would have been unavailable earlier in my lifespan.

I think that it is wonderful that replacement parts are now available to us (in the west at least).
Old 02-24-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

At age 34, I was on a run and had a fall where I came down hard on my left knee. After noting 6 months of stiffness in my hip, I found out I had cracked the top of my left femur and the resulting rough spot would degrade my hip joint with resulting osteoarthritis. I remained active as a cyclist and walker/hiker but the increasing joint stiffness finally led to a hip replacement at age 49. I was in good physical condition and back on my feet in 4 days after the surgery. I took a spin class with light resistance 7 days after the surgery. You recover fast if you are in good fitness. For me, I got my full life back and other than observing a rule to keep my activities low impact (i.e. no running but cycling and walking/hiking totally fine), I can do anything I want. It also restored my posture as the muscles/ligaments on my left side relaxed and no longer compensated for the arthritic hip. A hip replacement can be a very positive experience if you take advantage of the freedom it gives you back. Mine is now 11 years old, no issues at all.

Good luck!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:33 AM

I had mine done in July. My doctor did the frontal procedure. More risky for fracture during the surgery, but faster recovery since they minimize cutting of muscle. I did my pre surgery stretches and exercises twice a day for 3 months prior, and lost 25 pounds. Worked hard on core strength and flexibility.

After the surgery I did the same twice a day routine. The day after I walked with a walker. Gave that up after 3 days. Used a cane for 3 weeks. Golfed after 6 weeks. Now I worked really hard to get ready and to recover. I have some discomfort after walking an hour but no real pain. Before the surgery I had pain after walking a block. I have to give up distance running but can do most everything else. Best of luck in your surgery. I'm 66.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:37 AM

I know a few that have had these procedures .
One thing that I will add is to do exactly what you are told in rehab and after .
Some of these things may seem silly but they aren't .
Go slowly .
Old 02-24-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
Golfed after 6 weeks.
Really? Wow... that's wonderful to hear.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
You know what this means - you are moving from e Hip-Hop generation to the Hip-Op generation.

Seriously, I wish you all the best.

I think that we are the most fortunate generation yet medically. I was saved from septicemia in the '50s with a relatively new drug called penicillin, I was saved from peritonitis in the '60s, sarciodosis in the '80s, pneumonia in the '90s, heart failure in a 00s and cancer in the '10s.

I'm typing with my right hand bandaged after a hand op on Friday, which would have been unavailable earlier in my lifespan.

I think that it is wonderful that replacement parts are now available to us (in the west at least).
Hip Op generation. Good one

Of course we all need to realize that we are degrading our resale value with non-original replacement parts. I've avoided plastic surgery as I hear a refinish detracts from value.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-24-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Had one done nearly 6 years ago. At age 73, I still play basketball with 20-somethings. They are nice about it.

I got rid of the walker fairly quickly, say less than a week. Hiking poles lasted maybe 3 weeks as I recall.

Make sure you do the physical therapy exactly as prescribed. Not much fun, I agree, but it can be critical to getting back up to speed. This is definitely a serious operation and things can - and do - go wrong (once in a while). I've heard some stories but had only one setback. At 2 months, I thought I was over the worst, then I stepped wrong off a piece of 3/4" plywood, lit up with pain and was set back about 3 weeks or more.

The recovery will be faster, far faster, than from a knee operation. After 2-3 months, you should be doing nearly everything that you used to do. And within 2 weeks functioning pretty well.

Be well, and good luck!

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic