The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM

Default Add M-80 to a Lyric

Removed my M-80 from my OM-15 and put in the Lyric. Thinking about adding the M-80 to it. Believe it would be a good sound. Can anyone give me some instruction on how to do this. I've never used a saudering iron by the way!!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:49 AM

I think I recall reading that the unused contact on the Lyric jack can only be used with a passive pickup. I believe the M80 can be either passive or active, so might want to take that into consideration. Soldering isn't that difficult, but if you've never done it, I would recommend taking it to someone else to do it. There are lots of things that can go wrong.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 AM

Don't use your original M80 wire/jack. Keep that for another guitar.

Buy these: Mogami 2330 audio low noise shielded wire and Switchcraft 780 2-conductor miniature phone plug, shielded handle.

There is a pad for a second pickup on the Lyric. Take the Lyric and your new supplies to someone who can solder. I've soldered 2 or 3 pickups in the last year and ruined them all. If you're lucky you can watch your guy do the soldering and learn. I can't be taught, but you're probably a lot smarter than me. And you will have to use the M80 in passive mode. I think all this will work, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:29 AM

Default got a note from LR Baggs

I sent an email to LR Baggs and 20 min later got an answer. (those guys are great). Sent me a diagram with some instructions. Before i do that I just ordered a cord to plug into the M-80 and run out the sound hole. Gonna pair it with the lyric and also try it with my K&K pick ups and see what I like best before I actually "install" it for good. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 PM

Have you heard Doug Young's samples of the Lyric with a K&K? Sounds great!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 AM

Default nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Have you heard Doug Young's samples of the Lyric with a K&K? Sounds great!
NO..haven't hear those..do you put the lyric "behind" the brige pins and the K&K in front?...normally they are installed at the same spot?
Old 07-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I sent an email to LR Baggs and 20 min later got an answer. (those guys are great). Sent me a diagram with some instructions. Before i do that I just ordered a cord to plug into the M-80 and run out the sound hole. Gonna pair it with the lyric and also try it with my K&K pick ups and see what I like best before I actually "install" it for good. Thanks for the help!
May I please get that diagram?
Thanks,
Lenny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification