The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-29-2001, 02:07 AM

Thumbs up Froggy Bottom Guitars

While I was out, I got the chance to try out a few Breedlove guitars (all nice) and a Froggy Bottom K (small jumbo?). It was Indian Rosewood/Englemann Spruce). It had a deep profile. Incredibly playable.

This one had a huge tone. It took almost no effort to get a big sound fingerpicking the guitar. Also, heavy strummming with a pick made the strings deform out of tune without compressing the top .

The tone was crisp and bright on top, wide open in the mids, and big, round, and commanding in the bass without being out of balance with the rest of the guitar. The tone remained open all the way up the neck (like my 612C ), and remained in tune past the 12th fret.

A different voice than the Taylors (I would like to see an 814 with a deeper side, more like a dreadnaught, and hear what that would sound like).

I will play this one again (if it doesn't get bought).

Good thing my G.A.S. is down right now, or I'd be in trouble .

Brett
Old 04-30-2001, 10:35 AM

Brett, I got a chance to play a Froggy Bottom on Saturday, and was impressed as well. I'm not sure what model it was, but it was superb. It was very articulate and carried a very balanced tone while fingerpicked. The sound was not as defined as I would have hoped when strummed, but the sounds I could get while fingerpicking more than made up for it. This was my first experience with Froggy Bottom, and it sure made me long for more.
Old 05-03-2001, 05:26 PM

Hey Brett,

Much later on down the road, I plan on having a handmade fingerstyle box done for me. Froggy Bottom will be at the top of my lists of luthiers.

I dig them a lot.

Later,
Erm
Old 05-04-2001, 03:36 AM

THis was also my first experience with Froggy Bottom, but it will not be my last either.

Brett
Old 05-14-2001, 12:07 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I'd love to own a Froggy Bottom guitars. I've had the chance to play these on several occasions, and the tone was always exceptional. To hear one in action, listen to Will Ackerman's "Sound of Wind Driven Rain" CD. The whole album was recorded with a Froggy Bottom guitar, and the sound is wonderful - difficult to describe, but I'd put it on my list of one of the best acoustic recordings ever done.

J.R.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification