The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Lightweight vs. Heavier Guitars?

This is a question for custom guitars buyers. Which do you prefer, a lightweight guitar or a heavier guitar? Do you feel that a lightweight guitar may be more responsive? Or maybe a heavier guitar feels more substantial and might have better sustain? Looking for your opinion and perspective.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 AM

I don't look at weight as a factor, as it is influenced by wood choice and desired tone -- I would concentrate on those two characteristics more than just the weight of the guitar.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM

Mark, I'll be curious to see people's responses to this. My experience is that a fairly high percentage of people have an immediate negative response to a heavier guitar. For some, it's assumptions about sound that may or may not be realistic. For others, it's about comfort/ergonomics.

There was this poll that John Oshthoff did that may be helpful too.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ghlight=weight
Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I have a Matsuda guitar that is VERY heavy, along with a Bozo guitar that is even HEAVIER. and they are some of my favorites.... Then I have guitars soo light, they feel like their about to explode on my lap! And I love em as well.... I guess a lot has to do with who's the builder.... In "general" I prefer more lighter builds I've played over the years vs heavy guitars.

Though, If a heavy guitar sounds amazing, I like it better, im more nervous about too light of a guitar and it's stability over time... Neck resets after a few years, warped tops etc, which I've experienced both....
Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I like light weight if I have to stand and hold the guitar for extended periods. If I'm sitting down I don't care how heavy it is, as long as it sounds great.

Bear in mind, I play many instruments including resonator guitars, electric bass, and banjo, so I'm accustomed to really heavy instruments. I also own several Guild guitars which are pretty hefty (best guitar if you're ever in a bar fight).
Despite the weight, my Guild guitars have great tone. The heaviest is my JF30-12 and it sounds like a grand piano.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:51 PM

As others have said, it really all just comes down to how a guitar sounds and plays.

My Burguet classical guitar is so light weight, and the top is so thin, that it almost scares me. It is a very strong-voiced guitar that is very responsive and has lovely tone.

My Goodall is a much heavier guitar. Whether or not a Goodall's tone suits a particular person's style of playing, few would argue that they have amazingly rich, full, tone, and lots of volume. And they are amazingly responsive.

So, one is very light weight, the other is noticeably heavier (admittedly, one is nylon stringed, one is steel stringed), yet both are amazingly responsive, both have lots of volume, both have lovely tone.

My Martin 000-15 is more light-weight than the Goodall. It is a very nice guitar, but not as amazingly responsive as the Goodall.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM

My first thoughts would be that the wood on a lighter guitar is likely to vibrate more. I would imagine a heavier guitar being stiffer. I don't prefer one way or the other though, if I pickup a guitar it's heavy I just notice it a little, but it won't bother me.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

I'll add that a lighter guitar may work best with a light touch, and a heavier guitar may work best with a heavy hand. My Guild guitars respond to strumming with authority.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Here's a poll

I asked a simular question a while back.

Check out this poll
Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 PM

When people ask me this question I tell them that heavy and heavily built are two separate things. A guitar can be very lightly built but still be very heavy.

Though, I guess that was not the question.

Personally I don't have a preference.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:46 PM

I've had customs from several luthiers over the years, and in each case I had neither preference nor expectation with respect to weight. I did spend considerable time discussing the tonal qualities and volume I was looking for, the optimal wood choices and design features, etc. I also knew enough to know how little I actually know about the intricacies of luthiery. So, in each case, I made it clear that I was trusting to the builder's judgment and experience in the creation of an instrument that would be as close to my expressed requirements as possible.

If I got the tone and playability I was looking for, I didn't care much about weight. If I didn't get the tone and playability, the weight was even less relevant for me. Obviously, YMMV....

Old 03-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
When people ask me this question I tell them that heavy and heavily built are two separate things. A guitar can be very lightly built but still be very heavy.

Though, I guess that was not the question.

Personally I don't have a preference.
can you elaborate? would there be any truth in thinking that a heavier (or perhaps heavier-built) guitar would be less likely to crack under adverse conditions?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post

Check out this poll
I agree with the poll - I really couldn't care less how heavy it is, as long as it sounds and feels superb.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 03-23-2012, 06:23 PM

It's a matter of player preference. I do know some excellent fingerstylists that like the feedback they get from a lighter guitar. Leo Kottke is one of them. I think it enhances their connection to the guitar, but again it's a matter of personal preference.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post

Check out this poll
Put another way, looks like that poll is saying...if you're a builder, you will cater to 62% of the players if you build heavy vs 90% of the players if you build light.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop