The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-11-2001, 06:16 PM

Cool I've sighted a Gray Whale!!!!!!!!!

Just went on a Taylor tour ... also brought a guitar for a little truss rod adjustment. I went through the whole tour, seeing bits and pieces of the guitar ... first the top ... then the back (precut) ... then I saw the back of a finished body (with gloss finish). Then the tour ended, and I was a bit disappointed that that's all I got to see.

I mentioned it to the tour guide (he knew before the tour that that's what I was there for) and he said he saw some finished ones in the back and took me back to see them! I was breathless standing there ... just a foot away from one of the most gorgeous guitars I've ever seen.

Then I remembered I had a camera ... but couldn't seem to get it to work (yes, it would help if I turned it on ... and I did figure it out after a bit of time). I think I've got some good pictures ... unless they turn out blurry from my whole body shaking.

I wanted to ask if I could touch it, but I chickened out. Besides, they were so nice letting me back there after the tour to see it.

Amazing what a Taylor guitar does to a person.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:29 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Sounds like a fun time! I hope your pictures turn out. Did you get the K14C adjusted?

I wonder what the normal tour consists of? My tour was about two hours, but I had a lot of questions, and I was snapping all sorts of pictures - many of which didn't come out well. Plus, I was talking to a lot of the people who build the guitars. They're all a great bunch of people.
Old 04-11-2001, 11:25 PM

Yes, that's the guitar I took in. You know, now you actually have to make an appointment to bring a guitar in! For the last six years, I just call ahead of time, talk to Tim, then just bring it over ... now you have to talk to a receptionist and set up a time to bring it in. Still great service when you bring it in, though ... Tim had it adjusted in 20 minutes, before the tour began.

Pictures look pretty good ... some didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but lighting isn't the greatest in the factory. Normal tour generally lasts between 1-1.5 hours depending on who's doing it. Usually, it starts outside where the blocks of wood are, then you go into milling, then you go to where they're putting the sides together and cutting out the tops and backs. Then you go outside to the other building and see the CNC machines working on the necks and fretboards and upstairs where they're bending the sides. Last, you go back to the new building where you see the finished instruments being put together.

I basically spent all my time looking for any glimpse of a Gray Whale and took pictures when I found one. I've been on the tour so many times (I think 5-6) that I pretty much know what's covered and where.

Well, I know one guitar I'm getting this year ... I'm still floored by it. And you know I've seen many gorgeous instruments. I do think it means that I'll probably be giving up the K14c, though ... I just can't keep both.

I'll be preparing the photos tonight ... they should be up on my site by tomorrow evening at Tribute to the Luthier. I'll also have pictures of at least my K14c up as well.
Old 04-12-2001, 01:26 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

I played a Gray Whales at the factory, and I really liked the sound. I think you'll be impressed. I'll keep checking back to your site. I can't wait to see the pictures.

J.R.
Old 04-12-2001, 02:07 AM

I've gotten the pics up ... they came out pretty good. Enjoy.
Old 04-13-2001, 11:31 AM

Ever since yesterday, I can't keep it out of my mind. I can't believe that I'm going to get to see this particular GSGW, play it, and take it home!

It has the possibility of being received today ... and it's Friday the Thirteenth ... would it be bad luck if it doesn't show up (i.e. I have to wait to see it until next week) ... or would it be bad luck if it does show up (i.e. I have to part with a beautiful instrument ... I decided not to trade up the K14c at this time, but a Goodall Parlour)?
Old 04-13-2001, 11:32 AM

BTW, JR ... do you know which Gray Whale you saw and played?
Old 04-13-2001, 03:35 PM

Buddies,
Do you order most of your guitars through Buffalo Bro's gutiar shop? Just wondering where ya get the load of your Taylors (I know Buffalo Bro's is big, but I haven't visited it yet =( it's on the MUST DO list of my next San Diego trip though, hehe, Hopefully this summer!).

Sure wish I know the guys in repair that well, but then again, I only own 1 and 1/2 Taylors, but I sure love them. lalalala, need to work and get more money for Taylors! wheee
Randall

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification