The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Two Systems..anyone

Is anybody out there using two seperate systems for amplifying their acoustic guitar. For instance, I have a Gurian with a K&K western mini, and I'm thinking about adding the Fishman matrix undersaddle. Adding a second plug in and just using both. Get more of the bite of the undersaddle, (and it has a tone/vol control on it) and more of the lushness of the k&K. Anyone do anything like this?....just wondering before I drill that second hold!!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

you can wire them stereo and can share the same jack with a stereo jack. do a search on dual source pick ups. is this what you are talking about?

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM

I don't know about mixing the K&K (passive) with a Matrix (active) unless you use two different outputs. You can mix the K&K with their own Fantastick, which I believe is also passive, through the same jack and blend them externally using a D-Tar Solstice or one of K&K blending preamps.

Nick
Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 AM

i personally use the PWM wired onto the extra channel on the D-tar wavelength.. just did a similar combo on a Hummingbird for a customer.. it sounds great really..
Old 06-09-2010, 03:38 PM

The Fishman Matrix Infinity has a terminal on the endpin preamp for the addition of a second, passive, source. Simple as can be. Of course, you'll have to split the signal and take the K&K output to a preamp. Check the Fishman website for an installation manual for the Matrix ...
Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Musical minimalist

to get more "bite" as you say......are you using an external preamp with the K and K? If not, I'd reccomend trying the Pure XLR preamp instead of installing more wires, batteries and harnesses in your guitar and possibly having impedance problems.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Is anybody out there using two seperate systems for amplifying their acoustic guitar. For instance, I have a Gurian with a K&K western mini, and I'm thinking about adding the Fishman matrix undersaddle. Adding a second plug in and just using both. Get more of the bite of the undersaddle, (and it has a tone/vol control on it) and more of the lushness of the k&K. Anyone do anything like this?....just wondering before I drill that second hold!!!!
Since the guitar under consideration is a Gurian, I highly recommend that you NOT do this. Gurians are tough to find because they're usually highly prized by their owners. If your guitar is in good condition, I would hold on to it and take good care of it (no mods!!!), as it will only increase in value. If you want to experiment with different pickup options, get another guitar to do that with.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Default good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle1 View Post
Since the guitar under consideration is a Gurian, I highly recommend that you NOT do this. Gurians are tough to find because they're usually highly prized by their owners. If your guitar is in good condition, I would hold on to it and take good care of it (no mods!!!), as it will only increase in value. If you want to experiment with different pickup options, get another guitar to do that with.
That's probably a good idea...my Gurian isn't perfect in anyway, had alot of repairs but it's a really cool guitar.....
Old 06-10-2010, 06:47 AM

OK, not acoustic but my two electrics have twin pup systems.

both have magentic humbuckers and piezos under the saddles. I TRIED with stereo leads but there was a lot of channel crossing. I now have two jack sockets on each and process the signals seperately.

I have an acoustic with a piezo/mic blend, but thats all in one unit.
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntotoro View Post
I don't know about mixing the K&K (passive) with a Matrix (active) unless you use two different outputs. You can mix the K&K with their own Fantastick, which I believe is also passive, through the same jack and blend them externally using a D-Tar Solstice or one of K&K blending preamps.

Nick
I have passive and active together running stereo no problem

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 06-10-2010, 10:22 PM

I think they all covered it pretty well above. I wired the Baggs M1 Passive to the K&K pwm jack. Use 1 trs cable out to one stereo input in an Ultrasound DI Max with separate controls and phase switching.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 PM

since we're talking about 2 systems.. i wired a PWM to a d-tar wavelength preamp.

the solder slots on the preamp were pretty small so i snipped off some of the wires to make the overall braid thinner. Now my PWM has a v low output compared to the wavelength.. is the thinner braid the cause of that?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Humanist

You might want to view this thread, and I recommend (ahem) my post #33.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=185974
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 AM

I use a K&K PWM and a Fishman Rare Earth (Humbucking) magnetic pickup in two of my instrument, and it works well, for me.

The output of each pickup is routed to its own processing chain for gain, EQ and dynamics control and then summed together as a mono signal. The summed signal is sent to a reverb/delay for control of the depth and stereo field.

Works for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification