The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Question about Gas Line Review Letter

My mom keeps getting letters from a third party company (but seemingly endorsed by her gas company) soliciting coverage for "optional" gas line coverage in the event of a "disruption". It's $5.49/mo and supposedly insures against some future problem with the old aging iron pipes (house built in the 60's) and is supposed to defray "hundreds of dollars" she may incur should the line need repair or replacement.

Anyone get these letters? Anyone opt into this gas line insurance, or ever have to make a claim?

It's probably a money maker for the third party but mom's house is old and showing its age in other areas as well.

Worth it?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:56 AM

Just do some Googling:

https://kutv.com/news/get-gephardt/s...line-insurance
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
My mom keeps getting letters from a third party company (but seemingly endorsed by her gas company) soliciting coverage for "optional" gas line coverage in the event of a "disruption". It's $5.49/mo and supposedly insures against some future problem with the old aging iron pipes (house built in the 60's) and is supposed to defray "hundreds of dollars" she may incur should the line need repair or replacement.

Anyone get these letters? Anyone opt into this gas line insurance, or ever have to make a claim?

It's probably a money maker for the third party but mom's house is old and showing its age in other areas as well.

Worth it?
Worth it , depends on individual situation

Generally speaking The Gas company is responsible for maintenance and repair up to the Gas Meter
From the Meter into the house the homeowner is usually responsible .
So if it is a short distance and completely or mostly visible ( i.e can visually be inspected) then may not be worth it.
If it is a long distance and buried it might be ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-04-2019, 12:23 PM

I get these letters in the mail and just ignore them...

But as mentioned, a lot of homeowners don't realize that they are responsible for the maintenance of the gas line once it enters your property line...most all breaks or leaks occur in the underground lines outside...

I bought my house about 30 years ago, and a couple of years in, the gas company detected leaks on my property and the elderly lady's property next door...

Being a lot younger and stronger back then, I solved my problem by digging down and running a liner through the old line...I was only out my time, and the price of materials...

My elderly neighbor had one of these contracts for about $4 a month, and it covered the cost of her repairs, which for her would have been a substantial hit...

You never know...
Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the link about the issue in the state of Utah. I'm in CA, and the letter is quite similar. But they are making sure to include language that states that the company (in this case, Home Energy Insurance Solutions) got the customer addresses from purchasing a mailing list and not from the gas company itself.

I think we'll pass on it.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:44 PM

I thought this was going to be about a magazine called Gas Line Review. "Kind of a niche subject", I was thinking . . .
Old 03-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I thought this was going to be about a magazine called Gas Line Review. "Kind of a niche subject", I was thinking . . .
LOL I used the language of the document
Old 03-04-2019, 08:32 PM

Total rip off.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
same here.....LOL

I will say with PG&E's record of pipes exploding and wires starting forest fires...
Old 03-05-2019, 06:51 AM

It depends upon how the supplying utility’s tariff is written. Here in NJ the utility is responsible for all the piping from the gas main to the outlet of the gas meter and usually what is called the close piping on the outlet side. Out utility sells whole house gas piping contracts that cover any accessible gas pipe that may leak. For some customers it a great value and it’s relatively inexpensive at about $80 a year.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:44 AM

I had to have some gas pipes (old iron) replaced a couple of years ago - ice off the roof actually took off the front of the gas meter, gas company took care of that, but they detected a slight leak inside - movement form the ice hit might have done it.
Plumber I used is expensive, but reliable and fast. Had the pipes done that afternoon. $300. $5.49/month over the 24 years I've lived here that would be $1581.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Talking

I've received insurance offers for my water line inserted with my bill. In our area the point of my responsibility is at the water cutoff near the curb. You should check with your utility company and see where your liability starts. Then you decide if its worth the gamble. I like a good slot machine at times. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganes View Post
same here.....LOL

I will say with PG&E's record of pipes exploding and wires starting forest fires...
We have So Cal Gas, known for the infamous huge gas leak that went on for months in the hills above neighborhoods in Los Angeles and that sickened many a few years ago.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic