The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-26-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Hurricane (the movie)

We are most fortunate in my city to have a small film club which shows the better kind of films (movies) leaving the CGI shoot'emup things to show in a large multiplex where people can't watch a film without slurping fizzy drinks and munching stinky hot dogs.

In the film club you can take a glass of Harveys ale or a glass of wine in with you ... no munching! and the audience is largely grey haired (or bald!) Suits us fine!

We went to see Hurricane (as in Hawker Hurricane) in a surprisingly little known tale about probably the most successful of the 16 Squadrons of the RAF manned by Polish ex-pats during and after the Battle of Britain.

These men had to get out of German occupied Poland and find their way through occupied countries to the UK.

Many of them far more experienced fighter pilots than the young Brits.

It is the (only slightly romanced) story of 303 squadron and the individuals who fought the German Luftwaffe.

It was a remarkable story, and a sad one as those who survived the war had little choice as to where to settle with their largely destroyed country now occupied by the Soviets.

For some strange reason this movie is also entitled "Mission of Honour" - maybe for the US market ? Either way, once you get past the hero of the story, Jan Zumbach, being played by one of the nastiest nasties in Game of Thrones, it was a very touching movie with lots of aerial drama, and very convincing acting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic