The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-24-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jamie,

I have had both of my hip joints replaced. I had my left hip joint replaced in Oct. 2017 and my right hip joint replaced at the end of Feb. 2018. The reason for the hip replacements was osteoarthritis.

As soon as I got over my dizziness from the anesthesia drugs from the surgery I was up walking the very day of the operation. I used a walker for each hip joint replacement for perhaps a week and after that I just used a cane. Around the house soon the cane was just an encumbrance. I probably used a cane for a week, maybe a little longer, but not long. I was in good physical shape. I had the 2nd surgery on my 70th birthday.

My surgeon was an experienced guy, late 40s or early 50s. He does about 300 hip joint replacements each year. I think it's important to have someone highly experienced so he knows exactly what he is doing.

I never took the heavy duty drugs for pain. I learned from my wife's experience that all oxycodone does is make a person feel sick and does nothing for the pain. I bought all the medicines they recommended but never took any of it. I had to take an aspirin every day to avoid blood clots for about 6 months and ibuprofen interferes with the blood clot benefits of aspirin, so I could only take acetaminophen for pain. So when I needed it, that's what I did. But in truth, I was not in all that much pain. If I was, I have forgotten it.

It's very reasonable to be concerned about this operation, but they are so good at this, I predict you will do very well. A positive attitude helps greatly.

I did go to physical therapy for 6 weeks after each surgery. The physical therapy was probably helpful, but I was in such good shape after the 2nd operation that I really don't think I needed the physical therapy at all. I did it anyway; it was good to get out of the house and get some exercise.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me Jamie. Best of luck with this surgery -- I'm sure you will do fine.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 02-25-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:56 AM

My 85 year old mom had a hip replaced a few weeks ago. She was walking the next day. She is getting around pretty good with no walker or cane - say's she is pain free.

We really grilled the docs prior to the procedure and they said it is the most successful surgery available these days.

Hope yours goes well with a speedy recovery!

Grace & Peace!
Dave
Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
My 85 year old mom had a hip replaced a few weeks ago. She was walking the next day. She is getting around pretty good with no walker or cane - say's she is pain free.

We really grilled the docs prior to the procedure and they said it is the most successful surgery available these days.

Hope yours goes well with a speedy recovery!

Grace & Peace!
Dave
Thanks Dave!
I'm encouraged by your Mom's results. Since I'm 69 I should be up and dancing in a day or two.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-25-2019, 07:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
My mother had hers done at the age of 89. She never made it out of the hospital. Don't take these things lightly.
Age plays a huge part in recovery, as does over all conditioning. Rockdog...get strong and be vigilante

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic