The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-07-2001, 02:10 AM

Question Rainsong

Does anyone have experience with these. They seem to have awesome tone. Different than Taylor but really nice. My dealer bashed one with his fist and did no damage.Offered to let me try. Seems to me like a great piece if traveling alot and room isnt an issue. Or maybe gigging out.Built to Taylor 814 specs but completely graphite,
Old 05-07-2001, 01:19 PM
Jim

I played one a few months ago. I didn't care for the unamplified tone which didn't sound very rich to me, but when played through an amp with some effects it was fine.

One problem with them is that since they aren't made of solid wood they can't play in and will never improve with age/playing. On the other hand, as you say they seem pretty indestructable so if you plan on playing outdoors in the rain a lot or or wild bars where the beer is flying around or such then I think you would be hard pressed to find a better choice. The other drawback is their high price.

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: Jim ]
Old 05-07-2001, 04:03 PM

Cool

I found it differant. Very loud and without the softness I like. I did however like how it plays outdoors. Very crisp,good electronics,light and strong. It is perfect for an all weather guitar. The neck is very smooth, the actions are great. Up close it is a good looking guitar with the shark inlay. I feel its a real bargin at 1500 dollars. I may get one but its hard to break away from good wood. JW
Old 05-08-2001, 03:10 PM

I've played some before and have been quite impressed. They don't sound bad at all plugged or unplugged, just different. There didn't seem to be as much bass, but the trebles were very crisp and clear. It's too pricey for me to use solely as a travel guitar, but if I was out and about a lot and needed a guitar that could take a beating, I'd be happy with one of these.
Old 05-08-2001, 03:13 PM

I've had a chance to play them and have been quite impressed. Their sound is different, in that I picked up less bass but very clear and crisp trebles. If that's a sound you like, I think you're getting a great guitar for the price, especially when you consider the durability.
Old 05-09-2001, 12:57 AM

I tried a Rainsong a few years ago. It didn't impress me; and my Applause/Ovation is just as tough. Rainsong and Ovation are alike in my book; yet Ovations cost less.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 05-09-2001, 10:52 AM

I liked the few I've played. The price tag scared me away at first, but that was before I had the money to afford a Taylor. I would have considered one instead of my Taylor, but there are no dealers close by. Love the inlays.

got GAS?
Old 05-09-2001, 10:53 PM

Great guitar to keep on a boat. Never have to worry about humidity, warping, etc.

I have played 2 of them, and was surprised both times at the quality of the tone. It's no Taylor, but it sounds a lot better than a lot of the junk that is out there. If Rainsong ever gets its price down, Ovation (maker of the salad bowls with a wooden top guitar design) will be in big trouble.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:00 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I think the Rainsong is a very innovative guitar. To my ears, it sounded pretty bright but it wasn't bad - I had expected it to sound pretty dead but it was actually pretty lively. The guitar seems really tough, and I'll bet it's a lot more resistant to temperature and humidity changes, if they would even affect the instrument at all. They're fairly reasonably priced at a little more than a 400 series Taylor and less than a 500 series. Their Fishman electronics seem quality, and the guitars look really unique. I like the fact that they're offering an archtop, now. That's a pretty neat idea, though I don't expect that true Archtop guys will be falling over eachother to get one.

J.R.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification