The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Default Let's Talk Mirrorless

Hey photographers,

Wanted to share the new toy, a Fujifilm X-T1. I've been reading here and other places about the joys of mirrorless, and started lusting after some of the offerings from Fujifilm. I originally bought an X-100F, wanting a very small camera which contrasted markedly from my full-frame Canon 6D. Wanted something very portable that I could use for street photography, so I pulled the trigger. My first evening of shooting was at a work event and at night, and the low light performance was a fairly shocking drop-off from what I was used to. I also was intrigued by the idea of a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder to wean me off the optical I'm used to. Well let me say I immediately regretted the purchase. Everyone kept asking me about the camera (Is that a Leica?) making it rather the opposite of the unobtrusive object I'd hoped it would be (maybe that's an artifact of working in tech), and I have to say I just didn't like the feel of the rangefinder at all. I hated it. I didn't give it enough time to really understand the camera, had some buyer's remorse, and sent it back in 3 days.

Undeterred to some extent, I kept on reading up on other Fujifilm cameras, as the idea of the manual dials, the incredibly sharp and less expensive lenses, and the compact size still had my attention. So I ran across some YouTube video of a guy recommending the X-T1 as a great stills camera. I hadn't considered it previously, assuming the 16 megapixel sensor and older autofocus would be dealbreakers, but getting a near pro-level camera for a bit over $300 on the used market ($332) was compelling, in that I could sell it for what I paid for it, and I wasn't in for thousands. I paired it with a used 23mm f2 (35mm equivalent) and a used 56mm f1.2 (85mm equivalent), and have had a very different experience than I did with the X-100F. I immediately bonded with the ergonomics and the manual dials and I loved the small size. The sharpness of the lenses is incredible in comparison to my Canon. Opening even the 16MB files in post-processing shows incredible detail, even wide open. Really impressed. Autofocus isn't on par with the Canon in low light, but the continuous focus is much better. Auto focus in good light is fast with both, but the Fujifilm has really cool focus enhancement features like magnification and focus peaking which give a tremendous confidence in focus, and the bright, large EVF shows me my exposure before I trip the shutter, which is a huge advantage in many respects.

Still getting used to it, but I really like it. Not ready to ditch full-frame at any point, as there are just some real advantages in low light and with DOF which I'm not yet ready to lose. I'm considering investing more in the platform, probably glass at first and maybe an X-T3 before I go on vacation this summer, but not sure. Here's the camera, shot with the Canon 6D, 40mm f2.8 pancake:

Let's hear about your mirrorless!
Old 02-18-2019, 10:42 AM

I have a full frame Sony A7iii that is awesome. I also have an older APSC Sony NEX F3. That's pretty good too considering it's age and still takes great pics too.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

I have a Sony a6500, preceded by an a6000, and a NEX5N before that. I'm sold on the format, obviously

If I was starting from scratch, I'd look very seriously at the Fuji mirrorless line.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-18-2019, 04:37 PM

I went on this journey two months ago and settled on the Lumix gx8, with the smaller 4 thirds versus the APS sensor. I love its EVF, so sharp and a big advantage to a mirrorless.

Coming from a full frame, but from many years ago (the 70s), the digital options on these cameras is amazing, sometimes it is just too much.

Have fun with your new camera.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Thanks, definitely enjoying it so far. Wondering how much of it's a honeymoon with a new toy and how much it's really going to be the way I shoot moving forward. We'll see!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM

no offense, but thats a really bad image shot with a 6d- what happened?
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-19-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
no offense, but thats a really bad image shot with a 6d- what happened?
Maybe you can be more specific about what's bad, and I'm happy to answer. Depth of field is quite shallow, maybe that's the issue for you?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

For Christmas, I bought my wife a Fujifilm X-100F with both add-on lenses and a couple of extra batteries. It all fits nicely in a camera bag that is a perfect size and shape to hold everything for the camera, including the documentation and charger. Photography was her hobby when we had our house years ago and she could have her darkroom in the basement. At that time, she had a Nikon camera and some Nikon lenses.

Then, we moved into our condo and lost her darkroom (we both gave up long time hobbies to move into the condo - mine was amateur radio). She had no interest in taking pictures and having somebody else develop them. I got her a Nikon D-70, which could make use of her lenses. But then she developed health issues, making it difficult to get around, much less carry a camera the size of the D-70, not to mention all the stuff that goes with it.

Everything I read about the X-100F praised the camera highly. It is small and light, and seems "old school" enough for her to be comfortable with. All the goodies and camera fit in the relatively small bag, making it easy enough for her to handle. I do hope she has a better experience with it than the OP did because I don't know what we would replace it with, considering her unique needs. So far, she seems to be doing fine. Since she is no longer interested in entering photo contests, I don't know if this camera would take "winning" shots. With her original Nikon and darkroom, she won the contests she did enter.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-19-2019, 04:50 PM

its looks like focus is off, and noisy- like shot at 1600 iso or something, im not trying to be funny here, but the 6d is a very capable camera
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-19-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
its looks like focus is off, and noisy- like shot at 1600 iso or something, im not trying to be funny here, but the 6d is a very capable camera
Yeah, DOF was super shallow, and probably did do it at high ISO. Didn't think anyone here would notice.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
For Christmas, I bought my wife a Fujifilm X-100F with both add-on lenses and a couple of extra batteries. It all fits nicely in a camera bag that is a perfect size and shape to hold everything for the camera, including the documentation and charger. Photography was her hobby when we had our house years ago and she could have her darkroom in the basement. At that time, she had a Nikon camera and some Nikon lenses.

Then, we moved into our condo and lost her darkroom (we both gave up long time hobbies to move into the condo - mine was amateur radio). She had no interest in taking pictures and having somebody else develop them. I got her a Nikon D-70, which could make use of her lenses. But then she developed health issues, making it difficult to get around, much less carry a camera the size of the D-70, not to mention all the stuff that goes with it.

Everything I read about the X-100F praised the camera highly. It is small and light, and seems "old school" enough for her to be comfortable with. All the goodies and camera fit in the relatively small bag, making it easy enough for her to handle. I do hope she has a better experience with it than the OP did because I don't know what we would replace it with, considering her unique needs. So far, she seems to be doing fine. Since she is no longer interested in entering photo contests, I don't know if this camera would take "winning" shots. With her original Nikon and darkroom, she won the contests she did enter.

Tony
Glad your wife is enjoying it! I didn't give the camera a fair shake, just reacted quickly. I think I liked the idea of it, but didn't love the lack of lens flexibility.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Yeah, DOF was super shallow, and probably did do it at high ISO. Didn't think anyone here would notice.
I noticed, but didn’t think it was worthy of comment, given the nature of the thread. It’s a picture of a camera and a lens, not a contest entry.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-19-2019, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Glad your wife is enjoying it! I didn't give the camera a fair shake, just reacted quickly. I think I liked the idea of it, but didn't love the lack of lens flexibility.
Funny enough, that was one of the things we felt was a positive in favor of the camera - avoid the endless array of lenses. From what I have seen, camera enthusiasts can develop a real serious case of GAS, just as we can with guitar goodies. There is certainly a good case for having a collection of lenses, but hopefully my wife will be able to get creative with what is available for the X-100F.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-19-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Funny enough, that was one of the things we felt was a positive in favor of the camera - avoid the endless array of lenses. From what I have seen, camera enthusiasts can develop a real serious case of GAS, just as we can with guitar goodies. There is certainly a good case for having a collection of lenses, but hopefully my wife will be able to get creative with what is available for the X-100F.

Tony
Yep, that's what I was thinking as well, but I didn't feel that way when I got the camera. Lots of folks love it, and make beautiful images with it. I just really like different looks with different lenses, and I wanted to try that on this platform.

Great focal length for travel, street, kids, etc.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

I chose a Mirrorless for my underwater camera
Mainly because the camera and housing were far less expensive that just the housing for an SLR
I got what was actually a blow out sale ,on an Olympus Pen E-PM1 and matching underwater housing .

Here are a couple shots

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic