The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Wow. This will be a nice counter to Martin and Taylor’s new slope-shoulder offerings.

Reminds me of the old WM-45. I’m really curious to see how these look/play/sound.

If these are all-solid — which isn’t completely outside the realm of possibility here, though perhaps a bit of a long shot — I could see these being very popular.

Edit: now that I factor in street price rather than MAP, and remembering some of the fairly recent Gibson acoustic models, these probably do have laminate back/sides. Still could prove to be a hit.
It's fun to speculate, I'd guess $799 street on the studio model. Laminate back and sides with an LR Baggs pickup system. That would give them a lot of potential to be great stage instruments. Plugged in you might not even be able to tell the difference in tone or feel from the J-45 Standard.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 01-19-2019, 09:59 PM

A closer look thanks to Guitar.com

In the sound hole I see what appears to be the same volume and tone wheels found on the LR Baggs Active Element VTC pickup system that Gibson uses across their Standard acoustic line. Of course it could be a similar pickup from another vendor, but this looks to be confirmation that at least the more expensive of the two models will ship with electronics.

My music

My guitars
Old 01-20-2019, 07:38 AM

I applaud Gibson's efforts to provide an iconic style guitar at a reasonable price, made in the USA.
Since they have a history of knowing how to make a high quality laminate guitar, I have no problem with the likelihood that the new guitars will be laminated. I prefer laminated real wood to formica.

Another thing Gibson was known for was making good guitars for working people. There has been a lot of noise made over Taylor's and Martin's new "high tech" futuristic guitars. That is fine but not everybody can afford those guitars.
If these guitars sound good and there is no reason to think they shouldn't, they should sell well.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:46 PM

Official specs are now on-line at gibson.com

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCA1M...d-Coming-Soon#

It turns out there are quite a few differences.
  • Non scalloped X bracing!
  • Satin finish on back and sides, gloss top (all Satin on G-45 Studio)
  • Ritchlite fingerboard
  • Neck profile (same as J-45 on G-45 Standard)
  • Neck radius (same as J-45 on G-45 Standard)
  • Pickup system (the G series will have the same value Fishman Sonitone pickups used in Epiphone models, not the LR Baggs units used in 15 series up).

What's surprising is that this model does appear to be all solid. The specs would have listed a prefix on the Sitka Spruce with "Solid" if the back and sides were laminate. With Gibson's other models it's just implied as you see on the 2019 J-45 Specs. Also surprised to see that they are including a Gibson hard case.

EDIT: Although the specs do not clarify "solid" or "laminate" the product description on official page as well as the Gibson press release do make the distinction.
"Hand built in our factory in Bozeman, Montana, the new G-Series acoustics integrate traditional build techniques with modern features. The G-45 Standard offer players the perfect mix of tone, performance, traditional style, and value. The walnut back and sides are married to a solid Sitka spruce top, delivering a crisp sound, with plenty of wonderful overtones. Outfitted with a Fishman Sonitone pickup for easy plug and play..."

If anyone from AGF is attending Winter NAMM, this is a great question for the Gibson reps.

The long list of differences makes me a bit more excited. I believe this will be the first time Gibson Montana has produced a 45 Standard series model with non-scalloped X bracing and the non-scalloped J-45's from the late 50s to late 60s have always been my favorite era.

At MSRP of $1299 the G-45 is $450 less than the J-15 natural. The J-15 distinguishes itself by having a walnut fretboard, sharing the same neck profile and fretboard radius as the J-45, also sharing the same scalloped X bracing pattern. The J-15 also has the same quality Nitro finish as Gibson's other standard series models and features the same LR Baggs pickup as J-45. So the 2019 J-15 will still be a lot closer to a J-45 Standard, but these distinctions just make me more eager to put hands on one of these new Generation models.

My music

My guitars

Last edited by Rmz76; 01-20-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Official specs are now on-line at gibson.com

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCA1M...d-Coming-Soon#

It turns out there are quite a few differences.
  • Non scalloped X bracing!
  • Satin finish
  • Ritchlite fingerboard
  • Neck profile
  • Neck radius
  • Pickup system (the G series will have the same value Fishman Sonitone pickups used in Epiphone models, not the LR Baggs units used in 15 series up.

What's surprising is that this model does appear to be all solid. The specs would have listed a prefix on the Sitka Spruce with "Solid" if the back and sides were laminate. With Gibson's other models it's just implied as you see on the 2019 J-45 Specs. Also surprised to see that they are including a Gibson hard case.

The long list of differences makes me a bit more excited. I believe this will be the first time Gibson Montana has produced a 45 Standard series model with non-scalloped X bracing and the non-scalloped J-45's from the late 50s to late 60s have always been my favorite era.

At MSRP of $1299 the G-45 is $450 less than the J-15 natural. The J-15 distinguishes itself by having a walnut fretboard, sharing the same neck profile and fretboard radius as the J-45, also sharing the same scalloped X bracing pattern. The J-15 also has the same quality Nitro finish as Gibson's other standard series models and features the same LR Baggs pickup as J-45. So the 2019 J-15 will still be a lot closer to a J-45 Standard.
This non scalloped bracing excites me. To me, some the best sounding guitars are those old straight braced Gibsons and the old straight braced Martin D18. I really wish Gibson would produce a J45 reissue with the straight bracing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I hear what you say, but who made a guitar and where, added value, a name on a headstock are things I can't hear. My experience with previous lower cost Gibsons (notably a J35 I kept for a week and swapped back for a Yamaha), was less than edifying. I'm not overly optimistic about this new line, because I can guarantee 100% that I'll be able to buy a far better instrument made outside the US for a similar cost, but I remain open-minded until I can play one
While country of origin isn’t the most important thing, having an US made guitar is a big deal to a lot of people. I have guitars (some not listed in my sig) made in Mexico, Korea, Japan and China and while a couple are beaters, some of those are very great or quality guitars. I do realize with upcharge of US guitarsoverseas that those guitars may be an even better value over there. Also, your ear may just not like the way Gibsons sound. There’s quite alot of people that don’t, but those that do usually are really in love with Gibsons.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Wow. This will be a nice counter to Martin and Taylor’s new slope-shoulder offerings.

Reminds me of the old WM-45. I’m really curious to see how these look/play/sound.

If these are all-solid — which isn’t completely outside the realm of possibility here, though perhaps a bit of a long shot — I could see these being very popular.

Edit: now that I factor in street price rather than MAP, and remembering some of the fairly recent Gibson acoustic models, these probably do have laminate back/sides. Still could prove to be a hit.

The article says "Both models feature solid Sitka spruce tops and walnut back and sides, plus “exquisite” finishes, says Gibson."

I've seen that usually when the specs state solid for the top but don't indicate either for the back and sides that means laminate.

I wish they'd just straight up say laminate.

Edited to add I've just seen the link to the specs that doesn't specify for either. Interesting.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I wonder if these are being debuted at NAMM as we speak? Maybe one of the AGF members in attendance can give a report if they are indeed available there.

Best,
Jayne

^^^^This.

This is the same thing I was just thinking as I read this post. Thanks for saying it. Those are the 2 "Gibson" items I've been interested in lately: these new models, and the Chris Cornell tribute ES-335. Hopefully, maybe one of the AGF'ers in attendance will fill us in!

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 01-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbg View Post
The article says "Both models feature solid Sitka spruce tops and walnut back and sides, plus “exquisite” finishes, says Gibson."

I've seen that usually when the specs state solid for the top but don't indicate either for the back and sides that means laminate.

I wish they'd just straight up say laminate.

Edited to add I've just seen the link to the specs that doesn't specify for either. Interesting.
I certainly see what you mean, however... the way that *I* read it, was that the word "solid" in front was intended to address both the sitka top and walnut back and sides.

I totally agree that usually when they say "solid" top, and don't mention the other, it means laminate back and sides... and of course, I could be wrong... but just in *MY* head, the way *I* read it out loud in my mind, was that these guitars have "*Solid* sitka spruce tops AND walnuts backs and sides" . If they indeed are all solid, i think they made a small mistake in marketing by not making this more clear. not a big deal.

Thoughts? I think it could go either way, at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised at either. I think their cutting costs on the Nitro finish (expensive) and the richlite fingerboards (eww ok i'll try to be open minded) would more than put them in range to hit that price point on an all-solid guitar. on the other hand, if they're laminate, then i think they are a bit expensive to be laminate AND have those other corners cut. (if you can call it that, really they are more business decisions than cutting corners)

i guess at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is *how they sound*. and who likes them/will pay for them. Myself, I prefer the upper end Gibsons, but I was also *VERY* impressed with the J15 and still want one to this day, so... I'm excited to see what all comes of this!

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 01-20-2019, 08:44 PM

Would they need the back bracing if it was a laminate back and sides?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:48 PM

Now that I look at their site, it says, "The walnut back and sides are married to a solid Sitka spruce top..."

That seems very clear to me that it's a laminate body and sides.

Still, I guess what we expected. Gibson has plenty of good acoustics at good prices out there anyway.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:29 PM

The studio G-45 looks cool. I think I prefer it aesthetically to the other G-45. I like the all-matte finish and prefer the more simple inlays and lighter top binding. Makes it look kind of like a working class J-50.

I’m curious to see how these look and sound in person.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Not sure if anyone else has caught that these have non scalloped bracing. I'm sure that is one way they are cutting the cost. Also, I don't recognize the neck material. Anyone know what utile is?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrooks View Post
Not sure if anyone else has caught that these have non scalloped bracing. I'm sure that is one way they are cutting the cost. Also, I don't recognize the neck material. Anyone know what utile is?
Looks like utile is another name for sipo.

As for the non-scalloped bracing, I’m pretty sure that’s how most of the old Gibsons were built. As such, I am guessing it’s more of a tone decision than a cost decision — for instance, the Yamaha FG800 has scalloped bracing at just $200.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:30 PM

I'm looking forward to playing some.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:52 PM

This thread is 3 months old, but I just wanted to add this really short video I stumbled upon in which a Gibson spokesman addresses the tone woods issue. "All solid woods," he says. I guess the exception to that would be the Richlite fingerboard, but still, this sounds pretty amazing for a Bozeman acoustic guitar of solid spruce and walnut for the price.
https://youtu.be/DH_26gERx9w

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion