The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Default one more factor...

The other difference is in the overall length of the neck to the nut. For a given body size and shape, the nut of a short scale is 3/4-inch closer to my body. With shorter arms, I appreciate that. Fingering first-position chords on a 25.5" is harger, feels like something happening "way over there." This is probably less important if you play standing, with strap, but it's important to me.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 08-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

I assume that scale length is distance from saddle to nut. My Martin and Eastman are 25". My Yamaha parlor is 23". I like both, but it is hard to change A/B from 23" to 25" -- it feels like a long reach and I mis-finger for many minutes.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

I notice differences in nut width / string spacing more than I do differences in scale length.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:27 PM

I have four long (normal) scale 25.5 acoustic guitars and three 24 7/8 short scales that I play regularly. I have pretty small hands. The direct answer to your question is that the difference in feel is significant, and the short scales are, for me, significantly easier to play much of the time. This is particularly important to me with two of my guitars with relatively substantial necks. They would be flat out difficult for me without the shorter scale; with the shorter scale they're just fine. But when I capo down the neck on the short scales from the fourth or fifth fret on the fret distance will feel a little restrictive at first--particularly when I've just played a 25.5 guitar.

If I could have all my long scale guitars in a short scale and keep the tonal and rhythmic qualities I would; but that's just not how it always works.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

I have always preferred shorter scale guitars. I have no problem with 25.5", and play one often, but I do notice a difference in shorter scales, and find them easier to play. Simple as that for me.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:06 PM

For me, I think Capo's sound better on a longer scale...
Old 08-19-2019, 04:24 AM

Right now I only have one guitar I would identify as a "short" scale, and that is a GS mini. The rest vary, but are in the "normal" range.

For me it's all about immediate prior experience. If I've been playing the mini for a few days, then it's scale length is what feels "easiest". But if I've been playing a regular length guitar for a bit, then that is what feels good.

I should also say that I never even notice differences between scale lengths of guitars in the "normal" range (e.g., between a Fender and Gibson electric).

Ultimately of course hand size does come into play. Some things are easier to reach on the mini in first position, but at the same time some things are a little tight. My hand size (judging from glove size) is somewhere between a medium and large. A person who wears an XL glove would probably have more difficulty on the mini.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:43 AM

I do my best to set my guitars up with similar action.

My only short scale is also a 12 fret concert by Taylor. Overall, the guitar is extremely easy to fret. My other hand also doesn't have to work hard.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:09 AM

Surprised no one has mentioned tuning down a half step to simulate the tension. Going from 25.5 to 24.9 inches is pretty close to tuning down by a half step as far as tension. So, if you want an approximation of what the tension feels like (not fret spacing), tune down a half step.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-19-2019, 09:27 AM

I have two similar model guitars (Guild Orpheum) where the scale difference is even bigger with 25.625 for the Jumbo model and 24.75 for 000 model. I have rather small hands and switch often between the two guitars. Interestingly I find it easier to go from the short scale to the longer scale, if I go from the long jumbo to the 000 then the neck first feels a bit crammed for the first song or so. The longer scale can also easily be "shortened" with a capo, which I am more reluctant to use on the 12-fret 000.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I have small hands (longish fingers, but small grip) and I notice the difference immediately when switching between short and long scale. I have guitars with both, and with different nut widths. Neither is ideal for me. A longer scale usually has a 1 11/16 nut and is therefore more comfortable grip wise and I can produce more clean notes. But I struggle more to reach up the fretboard when in first or second position. On the other hand, my guitars with 1 3/4 nuts and short scale are more comfortable reaching other frets but then the nut width makes it more difficult to reach the lower strings. Ideally, the dimensions of a travel size guitar suits me perfectly, such as my Martin D Jr, 24" scale.

Last edited by Blueser100; 08-19-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have found that small differences can make a big difference in how the guitar plays. As I become a better player, it makes less of a difference.
I have also found that I cannot discuss scale length without other specs in terms of what works best for me and I have landed on a comfortable range of specs that seems to work for me. I switch back and forth between 4 different guitars:
  • A 14 fret 00 with a 25.4" scale length and 1 and 11/16th at the nut
  • A 12 fret Grand Concert with a 25.4" scale length and 1 and 3/4" at the nut
  • A 12 fret parlor with a 24.75" scale length and 1 and 3/4" at the nut
  • A 14 fret small slope D with a 25" scale length and 1 and 23/32" at the nut
These guitars all have slightly different neck shapes and all but the parlor fall into the shallow C category. The grand concert and the small slope D are the most easy for me to play and not surprising both were custom made for me - one 15 years ago and one just over a month ago. As I switch between the instruments, my hands and brain get better at making whatever micro adjustments are needed. I also hold each guitar slightly differently due to the variety of sizes. So, posture and ergonomics can make a difference when shifting to longer scale instruments.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-19-2019, 10:55 AM

I know there are many who say there is very little difference, but or me, string bending is much easier on a short scale acoustic. And oddball chord stretches of several frets are easier on a short scale.

Those are the only advantages I find.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Excluding travel guitars, I have guitars w scales 24.9, 25.0 and 25.5. Like many other say, I do find the 24.9’s & 25.0 a little “easier” to play (I wear “Large” size gloves comfortably). Regarding tone IMHO the bracing, tonewoods (especially the top), body size, etc. have much greater impact on tone than scale lengths when going from 24.9” and 25.5”. I don’t have enough experience w 24.75” to comment on that.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
A person who wears an XL glove would probably have more difficulty on the mini.
I resemble that remark. I think it's the smallish nut.

I think am most comfortable on 24.5" or larger scale with a 1 3/4" or larger nut.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion