The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Default The developmet of guitars 1900(ish) to 1935)

...and with particular attention to Archtop guitars.

Hi, I've just put up a new video on YouTube and focused on the rise of the archtop.
There must be a whole load of folks here who know more about them than I do, and so I'd appreciate and comments or corrections that you might have.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:13 PM

SM, I just want to let you know how much I enjoyed your stroll through guitar evolution during the 1st few decades of the old century. I only recently connected the popularity of Hawaian music (you'll never find another Kanaka like me etc) in that period with deep love of slide guitar in what is known today as Americana.

I've never had the opportunity to handle one of those classic archtop beauties you discuss. Oh well it's plywood with a P90 for me, but I'm ok with that. I'm warming up the old Sylvania 6V6's for the evening.

Regards and good work, keep on going.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
SM, I just want to let you know how much I enjoyed your stroll through guitar evolution during the 1st few decades of the old century. I only recently connected the popularity of Hawaian music (you'll never find another Kanaka like me etc) in that period with deep love of slide guitar in what is known today as Americana.

I've never had the opportunity to handle one of those classic archtop beauties you discuss. Oh well it's plywood with a P90 for me, but I'm ok with that. I'm warming up the old Sylvania 6V6's for the evening.

Regards and good work, keep on going.
Hi Dadzmad,

Sorry for delay in responding, (I'd not heard of the term Kanaka before, so thanks for educating me!)

Have you seen my video about the influence of Hawaiian music on acoustic guitars?

We may never have had dreads and jumbos without it:

Old 08-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Really enjoyed that video Andy!

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 08-23-2018, 09:41 PM

Nice job on the video, talking and playing! Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops