The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 12:28 AM

Congrats on your new Martin. A few years ago I bought a HD28 because the minute I picked it up and played it, it spoke to me, I heard a great sound and it played good to boot! SOLD...

Here it is, check out the tone when I dig in a bit with my fingers during the violin breaks, it just just shimmers...

Old 10-23-2018, 01:47 AM

Just for the record, is the D-28 the OP bought the 2017 standard series one with forward shifted bracing or the regular standard D-28 without the forward shifting? Thx!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGinz View Post
Just for the record, is the D-28 the OP bought the 2017 standard series one with forward shifted bracing or the regular standard D-28 without the forward shifting? Thx!
It's the reimagined 2017 series
Old 10-23-2018, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! Enjoy it!

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-23-2018, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Excellent!
You just may have the perfect pair

have fun!
madhat.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Not a great video, but I stopped into a local shop today and they still have a D-28 (2017 reimagined) that I remember loving when it came in. The strings are probably still factory issue so they are losing their brilliance and harmonic edge on the low strings. But it still sounded great!

I wanted to hear if it was warmer and more fundamental than the super sparkly, harmonically rich HD-28. The Strings were very fresh on the HD-28. Also, I only had my iPhone with me and the chair in the room is stupid high. So the whole comparison was challenging and awkward (What do you think? Is this ==conclusive in any way?) Bottom line for me; I really LIKE The D-28 a lot. And I think its more organic and 'acoustic sounding'. I'd like to have them restring it with a fresh set of lifespans. I'll bet it jumps more to life and it was really good anyway. Such as it is, here ya go;

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-25-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Not a great video, but I stopped into a local shop today and they still have a D-28 (2017 reimagined) that I remember loving when it came in. The strings are probably still factory issue so they are losing their brilliance and harmonic edge on the low strings. But it still sounded great!

I wanted to hear if it was warmer and more fundamental than the super sparkly, harmonically rich HD-28. The Strings were very fresh on the HD-28. Also, I only had my iPhone with me and the chair in the room is stupid high. So the whole comparison was challenging and awkward (What do you think? Is this ==conclusive in any way?) Bottom line for me; I really LIKE The D-28 a lot. And I think its more organic and 'acoustic sounding'. I'd like to have them restring it with a fresh set of lifespans. I'll bet it jumps more to life and it was really good anyway. Such as it is, here ya go;

This video is a tad misleading because of the strings, but I'd give it to the HD here. Having said that, I much preferred the woodier sound of the D-28, but the strings did sound pretty dead. The D-28 has the mids of an OM/000, but with the lows to match. The HD sounds more like a big booming dread.

To me, the D-28 is a feel thing. I would pick an HD over a D-28 in a recording 9 times out of 10, but when you actually play them, the D-28 is the more enchanting mistress so to speak. There is something magical about playing softly and getting those woody sounds, and then digging in and getting the bark and volume. The HD I played seemed to be much less expressive and the volume changes from playing softly to more hard weren't as drastic as on the D-28. I think of the D-28 as a muscle car and the HD as a more refined sportscar. Neither is better, just a matter of which one is more fun for you to drive.

Having said that, the biggest difference in sound to me is on the low E string. On the HD, it's a large thudding sound that is big and bold and encompassing. On the D-28, the low E isn't as deep, but it is a sharp and sudden THOMP! and then you get such wonderful sustain. The D-28 seems more balanced, and more guitar-like. Gary, I don't know if you noticed this, but you played the flat picked part at the end softer on the HD. It sounded more delicate and "pretty" for sure. This is the kind of thing I've noticed myself doing on a scalloped braced guitar. I play more "pretty." I like the fact that I have to "hit 'dat thang" when I flat pick on the D-28! I dunno, I just like that about it.

There is something to be said in the "piano-like" qualities of a guitar. I personally am finding I am not a fan of those sounds and prefer the midrange bark of a guitar. As my wife put it, "are you buying a guitar, or a piano?"

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 10-25-2018 at 08:00 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion