The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 AM

Default American made?

Are there any good classical guitars made in America in the $1000 to $1500 range? I saw Kenny Hills entry levels but they are made in China.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 AM

I'm assuming you mean North America or perhaps only the United States. Your best bets are:
  • Buy a used luthier-made guitar.
  • See if Darren Hippner might do another special.
  • Look for a relatively unknown luthier who might offer you a special deal or who might be selling his instruments on eBay.
  • Buy a Canadian-made LaPatrie.
If South America is alright with you, there are lots of excellent guitars that you can get from Paracho, Mexico.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:36 AM

Is it "buying American" that's most important, or are you equating "American" with "Quality."

I ask, because, IMHO, America wouldn't be the first country I think of when I think "Classical Guitar."

Jeez, did I use enough "quotes" in that post or what?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Is it "buying American" that's most important, or are you equating "American" with "Quality."

I ask, because, IMHO, America wouldn't be the first country I think of when I think "Classical Guitar."
Oh, I wouldn't be so hard mr. beaumont. Among luthier-built guitars, we have outstanding builders of classical guitars who can command prices that I would never be able to budget for.

It's in the lower-end that we can't deliver value.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 AM

I should have been clearer Vlog--Your point is exactly what I'm getting at.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Most of us would have at least the bottom of your range in materials alone in a good guitar. Assuming we make nothing for nearly 120 - 150 hours of work, it's possible! Oh yeah, that would be without a case!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I betcha this guy has a "made in China" guitar and he's probably proud of it.

Tom C.

Herk Favilla Mahogany Classical, 1960's
Alvarez Yairi CYM 95, 2004
Dauphin DS65CE, 1992
Old 11-09-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
Most of us would have at least the bottom of your range in materials alone in a good guitar. Assuming we make nothing for nearly 120 - 150 hours of work, it's possible! Oh yeah, that would be without a case!
I was curious because it seems that american classicals are around 3 to 4 thousand and in the steel string guitars you can get a good american made guitar for under a grand. I didnt know if there was anything like that in classical guitars.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Jeez, did I use enough "quotes" in that post or what?
I dont think of american guitars as classicals but I do associate america with quality. I buy whatever I can american made and I look hard to find it. I have not given up on this country and our ability to produce the best. I feel that so many people gave up on american products and thats why we are where we are today.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarVlog View Post
I'm assuming you mean North America or perhaps only the United States. Your best bets are:
  • Buy a used luthier-made guitar.
  • See if Darren Hippner might do another special.
  • Look for a relatively unknown luthier who might offer you a special deal or who might be selling his instruments on eBay.
  • Buy a Canadian-made LaPatrie.
If South America is alright with you, there are lots of excellent guitars that you can get from Paracho, Mexico.
Yes I did mean North America, sorry. I would even prefer to buy from this continent rather than China
Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM

silverfox, who? me?

Please explain your post. I own guitars made in China, Mexico, South America, and the US, and I'm looking at a guitar made in Germany right now that I might pick up Thursday.

Truth is truth--there are mass produced guitars made in Europe and yes, Asia, right now, that offer more bang for the buck in the nylon string market.

La Patrie is another nice choice, albeit a somewhat non-traditional guitar. But , uh oh, they're Canadian.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Who, me?
BINGO! Drive a foreign car also?

Tom C.

Herk Favilla Mahogany Classical, 1960's
Alvarez Yairi CYM 95, 2004
Dauphin DS65CE, 1992
Old 11-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post

Tom C.
Tom, You say everything I usually say. Its funny, when I got married a few months ago my wife was driving a honda accord and I told her after we got married she needs to dump the honda and buy american. Yup, she bought a Ford escape built in Kansas. I always liked the saying " out of work? Hungry? Eat your import."
Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

This business about not buying foreign-made stuff seems silly to me, but then, all of my instruments up until a couple months ago were made elsewhere. The problem is that I bought them all while living in Europe. So I guess, by the logic of this board, I should have paid thousands extra to get instruments of the same quality shipped to me from the US? Or should I have instead insisted on instruments manufactured in the country where I was living at that particular time? Maybe when I have more money than I know what to do with, I'll consider buying based only on where something was manufactured. For now, I'll buy the best I can afford*.*

Oh, and btw, I drive a manufactured-in-the-USA Toyota. So. Umm. What does that mean?

Last edited by dosland; 11-09-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: My car
Old 11-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post

Tom C.
No, I don't, actually. It's a pontiac. Oh, wait, the engine is a toyota. Oh, but the car was made in the U.S. Does that make it okay? Can I be part of the cool people's club?

This is what we're about around here, huh? What a waste of a decent message board, ready to run it's course down the toliet of anonymous, long-distance political posturing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical