The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Hi Dave,
Good eye. That is indeed mahogany b/s, and the top is spruce. (I learned quite a bit on these models from hanging out with the super knowledgeable folks over at the UMGF). This model was introduced in 1936, and went into production in 1937. A year later respectively, the 00-28G version came out, a more deluxe version with brazilian b/s instead of mahogany. These are still out there too, but a lot pricier. Both models ended production in 1962. They were unusual in that they combined a 14 fret 00 body with a 12 fret neck. They display great warmth in their tone, which is what I find so addictive about them.
Yes, it feels great too to own and play a piece of history. (Incidentally, my 47 has Serial # 99000, which is kinda cool).
Gryphon has a very nice looking vintage 00-28 brazillian in stock.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Gryphon has a very nice looking vintage 00-28 brazillian in stock.
I stopped at Gryphon this afternoon and gave the Martin 00 28G a spin. I see why you like the sound, Andre! Very warm, indeed! And what a nice playing guitar. The V profile neck was certainly unusual for a nylon string, but as you say, it plays like "buttah". It is in really good condition for a 1959. Just normal playing wear.

They had a few 00 28 steel strings, too, but I didn't want to press my luck, so got out of there without trying them.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
I stopped at Gryphon this afternoon and gave the Martin 00 28G a spin. I see why you like the sound, Andre! Very warm, indeed! And what a nice playing guitar. The V profile neck was certainly unusual for a nylon string, but as you say, it plays like "buttah". It is in really good condition for a 1959. Just normal playing wear.

They had a few 00 28 steel strings, too, but I didn't want to press my luck, so got out of there without trying them.
Hey Dave,
Thanks a lot for the report! Having never actually tried the 00-28G model, I've always been curious as how they compare to the the 00-18G soundwise. A very knowledgeable fellow at UMGF says that they are not that dissimilar in tone, in spite of the mahogany vs. BRW. (and the 00-18Gs run almost 3 times less in price.) They may not project the typical tone of more "Spanish" style classicals, like a Ramirez, but they make up a lot of ground on the "appeal" meter with their warmth and wonderful playability. I'm glad you were able to experience and confirm that.
One thing that stood out in your description is the "V" profile of the neck. The necks on my 00-18Gs are rounder, more classical like. I'm wondering if this particular 00-28G has the original neck. Here are some shots of the 00-18G back and neck. Photo 1 is the 47, photo 2 the 58. Both are similar to me in shape. Do these necks appear different to you than the Gryphon instrument?

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-30-2010, 10:13 PM

Hi Andre,

Interesting about the neck profile. It was the first thing I noticed when I played it. Well, that and it was out of tune. It felt a lot like the neck on vintage Martin OM's. It was wider, but I felt a distinct V. I don't play too many Martins, but I do try to play all the Laurence Juber models I see. It had that kind of profile, except wider.

Gryphon has a bunch of photos on the website and only one shows the back of the neck, and you can't see the profile well enough to detect the V.

The other photos are here:

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/33678/33678.php

Maybe it's not the original neck or maybe the 28's had a different profile than the 18's? But why would they do that?

Yes, it was a warm nylon sound, but certainly not a Spanish sound. And the thing was loud. It was a fun trip. I would have played a number of other classicals they had, if I had more time, but I was on my way back from San Francisco and had to pick up my son at school in Santa Cruz.

I'll keep my eye out for more of these great Martins. I don't own a Martin. Yet.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the pic and info.
Well I'll be. They are different. I never had noticed the more V like profile and pointed shape extending from the lower back of the headstock on the 00-28G, which is not part of the 00-18G. See two back shots here of the two, side by side:

The 00-18G is rounder. I have to admit, I'm happy about that. I'm not such a big fan of V shapes, although I can do fine with a modified V.
Anyway, that was interesting. (Aren't we just a couple of guitar geeks?
Quote:
I'll keep my eye out for more of these great Martins. I don't own a Martin. Yet.
Only a matter of time my friend, only a matter of time

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 05-01-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Hi Dave,

(Aren't we just a couple of guitar geeks?

Only a matter of time my friend, only a matter of time
Hi Andre,

I didn't realize that V profile extending into the back of the headstock was a way to ID the profile, but I see it on a lot of Martins.

Oh yeah! Guitar geeks for sure. We could talk about this stuff all day.

Every time I play a Martin OMC LJ, especially the rosewood models, I want one. Doug Young has a rosewood and a maple Laurence Juber, and they both sound and play very nicely. Only a matter of time, as you say.

Enjoy the weekend, Andre!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 AM

Looks like no one else is going to post a recording. Well, the thread was a good idea, I think.

When I saw the interest in nylon string guitars on the forum, I had high hopes for lots of new blood on a steel string dominated forum. It is going well. I expected more to show their stuff, though.

To close the thread, I thought I'd post one last recording of a tune that really inspired me, way back when. The way Mason Williams presented this tune was, for me, as good as the tune itself. What a cool looking guy in 1968, playing so calmly a piece that spanned genres and made classical guitar seem cool! Based on banjo rolls, it defined a time in history. The first pop guitar instrumental to win several Grammy's.

"Classical Gas" It's still fun!

http://www.davidhilyard.com/download...ical_Gas_1.mp3

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Peace.

And just to remember that time, Mason, doing it right. So Cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSiqsCCnnHw
Old 05-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
Dave, indeed it is, and this is one of my favorite recording of yours. Your playing really infuses some great spark and energy into it with your tempo, percussion, harmonics and overall cool phrasing. Also, there aren't many out there brave enough (including me) to incorporate some of that horn section into their versions!
A very fitting contribution my friend! Thanks for sharing this one, and for the overall thread idea. This has been a good one!

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 05-09-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Dave, indeed it is, and this is one of my favorite recording of yours. Your playing really infuses some great spark and energy into it with your tempo, percussion, harmonics and overall cool phrasing. Also, there aren't many out there brave enough (including me) to incorporate some of that horn section into their versions!
A very fitting contribution my friend! Thanks for sharing this one, and for the overall thread idea. This has been a good one!
Hi Andre,

Thanks for your kind words. They are much appreciated!

I enjoy your CD often. Very cool diverse sounds.

Cheers
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM

Ressurecting the topic. Maybe some new nylon stringers will join.

I made a home recording of the piece I had promissed: Batucada, by Isaías Savio: http://www.4shared.com/audio/F4CRz0Pa/Batucadacomp.html

Coments and sugestions are more then welcome.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:22 AM

Came to this thread a little later in the game, I guess. The submissions so far have been very impressive, and I've really enjoyed listening to the talent present in this forum. So I reckon I'll hoist one up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

It's called Memories Of Zagreb, written on a tour of Croatia I did back in the late 80s. The tune eventually segues into a piece called Adriatic Dreams.

If you're a tech geek, you might be interested to know that all the background instrumentation you hear was composed and recorded using an old Takamine nylon-string guitar synth rig and a sequencer... no keyboards were used.

Considering the CD, Midnight In Zagreb, was released in 1992, it was actually pretty cutting-edge use of MIDI-guitar technology at the time, but the response of the system left a lot to be desired, so it took me a loooong time to clean up the sequences for the CD. Nowadays I use either a Turner MIDI-Renaissance, a Godin Grand Concert SA, or my Frankenstrat when I use a guitar synth, and I spend not much time at all getting clean tracking from the rig.

Anyway, there ya go. Hope you like.
2010 Godin Grand Concert Ambiance
2003 Godin Grand Concert SA MIDI-Classic
1995 Custom Turner Renaissance MIDI-Classic
2004 Yamaha CGX-171SCF Electric-Flamenco
1972 Alvarez-Yairi 5032 Classic
1989 Custom Vlado Proskurniak Hybrid Flamenco-Classic
2002 Ibanez PM-100 (Pat Metheny model)
2004 Custom Filomino Strat-clone
Old 09-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Foster, I really enjoyed the atmosphere you were able to create. Very nice composition!

Play2PraiseHim, thanks for your kindness.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM

I just discovered this thread; thanks for resurrecting it. I have been enjoying getting to know some of you players through the videos. More of this!

Here's a link to a video I have on YouTube of me playing an original piece called "Recollection." As the note says, it is a reduction of a choral piece I wrote for my church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seVZkHKh9J4
Old 09-23-2010, 11:45 AM

I, too, just discovered this thread. It's about time ...

Over the past couple of years I've converted exclusively to nylon and vintage but I play nylon more than anything else. I have a couple of McGills that, for me, are appreciably better and more satisfying than any newish steel string guitar I have ever touched.

I just recorded this a couple nights ago. It's my arrangement of a traditional Irish hymn. The tuning is DADGAD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xF0bgQ5Ohg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical