The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryinAZ View Post
I have a Collection from back in the days when La Patrie was called Kamouraska.

I bought it, if I recall correctly, sometime in the mid-1990's for studying classical guitar.

Studying classical guitar only lasted a couple of years ( ) but I still have the guitar and it has been a wonderful addition to the collection (pardon the pun!).

I normally use Savarez, High-Tension on it. I tried a little experiment here recently and put D'Addario ball end (hybrid) strings on it. They sound great!
The Kamouraska guitars were far better built than today's La Patrie guitars. They had dovetail neck joints vs bolt on necks, nitrocellulose finish versus today's poly plastic finish, the higher end models had ebony fretboards and bridges (La Patrie uses rosewood), real rosewood veneer headstock face vs plastic...and more. This all equates into a much better sounding guitar. I have owned a half dozen Kamouraskas cuz they're very decent and had one top of line all solid La Patrie guitar but have played many.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzelectro View Post
The Kamouraska guitars were far better built than today's La Patrie guitars. They had dovetail neck joints vs bolt on necks, nitrocellulose finish versus today's poly plastic finish, the higher end models had ebony fretboards and bridges (La Patrie uses rosewood), real rosewood veneer headstock face vs plastic...and more. This all equates into a much better sounding guitar. I have owned a half dozen Kamouraskas cuz they're very decent and had one top of line all solid La Patrie guitar but have played many.
Very interesting.

As I said before, I don't remember the exact date I bought my Collection, but I do remember calling the San Diego Acoustic Guitar Store (long gone, unfortunately) and telling them I was looking for a good student guitar and the guy told me about this new line they had just picked up (Kamouraska) and it was by far the best guitar they had for under $500. I think I paid right around $400 for mine. To this day, I feel it is probably the best deal I have ever made on an instrument. $400 was a steal for this guitar.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:49 PM

Default Kamouraska Classical Guitar

Looking for information on a Kamouraska Collection Series guitar.

The label says model 182-4. Serial No. 21241. On the side of the label "DEMO" is stamped in blue ink.

Purchased at an auction. Very beautiful guitar. I have not yet played it.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:21 AM

I've owned an Etude briefly and a Motif for longer. These both had laminate back and sides, but the Motif was the richer and more responsive to my ears. It, the Motif, would be perfect for me if only they'd scale down the neck dimensions a bit, too, with a 1 7/8" nut width instead of the 2"+ it has now. But I do love Godin guitars; I have two solid electrics, two Multiacs - a steel and a nylon, and an Artist Concert Hall OM sunburst that is just gorgeous.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've owned an Etude briefly and a Motif for longer. These both had laminate back and sides, but the Motif was the richer and more responsive to my ears. It, the Motif, would be perfect for me if only they'd scale down the neck dimensions a bit, too, with a 1 7/8" nut width instead of the 2"+ it has now. But I do love Godin guitars; I have two solid electrics, two Multiacs - a steel and a nylon, and an Artist Concert Hall OM sunburst that is just gorgeous.
I've owned many Godin-family guitars...Seagulls, Godins, LaPatrie, Art & Lutherie....i loved them all!

Currently I own two Art & Lutherie Ami's--one steel-string, one nylon-string.

The A & L Ami Nylon is essentially the exact same guitar as the LaPatrie Motif, the differences being in appointments and finish. The Ami has a very thin oil (not poly) matte finish, a glued-on plastic 'rosette'--which I immediately removed --and only has top binding, plus a slightly different end-of-headstock shape. I prefer plain-looks instruments and matte finishes so I chose the Ami.

HOWEVER, early Ami Nylons (like early 1990's) had 1.75" wide necks and, if memory serves, the scale was 25" (The early Motifs may have had such neck dimensions also, I'm not sure)...so, if you can find an older Ami Nylon it would match your preference in what is essentially the exact same guitar.

HEY--i'm in total agreement with you about 'Etude vs. Motif'--I've owned 2 Etudes, liked them a lot, but then discovered Motifs and the Art & Lutherie Ami Nylon....and LOVED them even more--sold the Etude, bought the Ami Nylon....IMO these two near-twin canadian parlor guitars sound like no other nylon-string guitar currently in mass production.

Last edited by janepaints; 12-09-2016 at 04:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical